Used 2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Good, good, good.
By Donte Wilson

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I purchased this car in October of 2013. I'm a younger guy, so personally I would want something faster, but when I was car shopping, I was in a hurry, I wanted a Mazda, and this popped up infront of me.
I've had no problems at all with this car. Over 97,000 miles on it. Engine is fine. Tranny is fine (it's an auto, I wish it were a standard). Everything is fine. I do have a few minor mods to it, and I've had them on for most of the time I've had the car, exhaust, intake, upgraded springs, and it holds them up fine. I do take care of it. I only use top grade maintenance stuff. Full synthetic oil and lube and all that stuff.
The only thing I dislike about this car is the weight. I am a person that likes a bigger, heavier sedan, but 170hp and 160trq in a 3,300+lb car is not very appealing at all. Its weight is also the reason why it gets poor fuel economy. I have about a 50/50 mixture of highway and city, and I get 20mpg on the dot. About 360miles per tank. Which, I don't have much of a problem with. My problem is the power. 170hp is fine. Especially for a family sized sedan, but 170hp in a 3,300lb is just stupid and unethical. It is rather quick in the 4cly family sedan category, but in an upper category, its falls very short. However, the handling is amazing.
If you want something quick, I wouldn't completely reccomend this car, unless you're gonna shave some weight some how and/or forced induction. However, if you want everything a car can offer, this is the car.

It's also great in the snow.

I also over paid for my car, so don't let that price fool you. Be sure to check KBB and other consumers for a good price.

Built really well....
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Interior quality of this car is a step above the competition. Smooth engine, decent acceleration and decent fuel economy. I average 28MPG between highway and city usage. Very reliable. Very roomy and above average handling. Very safe. I was broadsided in it and it held up very well. I find Mazda's in general are certainly a cut or two above its competition. The stock speakers were a little weak, and I find the stock Xenon headlamps are not as powerful as they should be and are very expensive to replace. But this is a very satisfying car.

Good fuel economy, great build quality both mechanical and cosmetically inside and out. Comfortable and sporty...ish. Very safe and solidly built.

Spending as little as 300 dollars to replace the stock speakers did wonders for the sound system. Im investigating what brand of Xenon bulb to buy to make those Xenon headlamps as bright as they should be.

Really decent vehicle
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Exterior design is very attractive. Excellent handling, good pickup from the 4cyl engine. Could be better on the fuel economy but not too bad. Ride is well controlled but it can be a bit busy.
Decent room inside, good design to the dash board. Interior quality is a mixed bag. Some parts of the dash and doors are very high end
but other parts are cheap feeling. Leather quality is decent, if a little stiff feeling, but it smells good though. Xenon lighting is excellent. I would suggest this car for those who like spirited driving, if you drive it softly it may leave you a bit cold.

Handling is best in class. Great in the snow. Decently Comfortable, the fit and finish overall is good. Good safety features and excellent reliability potential. Looks expensive in the upper trim models. Decently quiet on the highway. Decent power.

Competitors get better fuel economy. The cheap parts of the interior really take away from the overall ambiance, Mazda usually does better.

Think twice before buying
By RAG723

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review. This car continues to give me issues. It took the dealership 5 tries to fix a alignment problem. All four window motors were replaced. I hear a metal clanking noise coming out from under the hood and Mazda says it normal.How can a clanking noise at low speeds me normal. Bluetooth module was replaced. Clicking noise from steering wheel was fixed. Dealer replaced water pump because it making a loud noise when driving. And the list goes on and on. I make it a point to tell everyone that rides the car with me not to buy Mazda. I sure will never buy one again.

at this point nothing.

improve quality. figure out the problems and fix them.

Pleasant Surprise
By Curtis789

2009 Mazda 6 Sedan i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Japanese car. I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of this 4-cyl sedan. The 5-speed tranny is the best designed auto I've ever owned, getting the most out of the available power. For city or mixed use, get the 4-cyl. Full load or 100% highway, you may want to consider the 6-cyl. I did not drive the 6 speed auto tranny. Excellent design and build quality. I'm a small guy and I'm still searching around for the seat position that will match the comfort of my old Chrysler 300M, but the support is better in the Mazda. In many circumstances, the Mazda is faster, e.g., starting from red lights.

2.5L 4-cyl engine matched with 5-speed manumatic tranny.

Front seat comfort, real-time read of tire pressure instead of low pressure alert only.