Used 2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Built really well....
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Interior quality of this car is a step above the competition. Smooth engine, decent acceleration and decent fuel economy. I average 28MPG between highway and city usage. Very reliable. Very roomy and above average handling. Very safe. I was broadsided in it and it held up very well. I find Mazda's in general are certainly a cut or two above its competition. The stock speakers were a little weak, and I find the stock Xenon headlamps are not as powerful as they should be and are very expensive to replace. But this is a very satisfying car.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy, great build quality both mechanical and cosmetically inside and out. Comfortable and sporty...ish. Very safe and solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Spending as little as 300 dollars to replace the stock speakers did wonders for the sound system. Im investigating what brand of Xenon bulb to buy to make those Xenon headlamps as bright as they should be.

Really decent vehicle
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Exterior design is very attractive. Excellent handling, good pickup from the 4cyl engine. Could be better on the fuel economy but not too bad. Ride is well controlled but it can be a bit busy. Decent room inside, good design to the dash board. Interior quality is a mixed bag. Some parts of the dash and doors are very high end but other parts are cheap feeling. Leather quality is decent, if a little stiff feeling, but it smells good though. Xenon lighting is excellent. I would suggest this car for those who like spirited driving, if you drive it softly it may leave you a bit cold.

Favorite Features

Handling is best in class. Great in the snow. Decently Comfortable, the fit and finish overall is good. Good safety features and excellent reliability potential. Looks expensive in the upper trim models. Decently quiet on the highway. Decent power.

Suggested Improvements

Competitors get better fuel economy. The cheap parts of the interior really take away from the overall ambiance, Mazda usually does better.

Think twice before buying
By RAG723

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd review. This car continues to give me issues. It took the dealership 5 tries to fix a alignment problem. All four window motors were replaced. I hear a metal clanking noise coming out from under the hood and Mazda says it normal.How can a clanking noise at low speeds me normal. Bluetooth module was replaced. Clicking noise from steering wheel was fixed. Dealer replaced water pump because it making a loud noise when driving. And the list goes on and on. I make it a point to tell everyone that rides the car with me not to buy Mazda. I sure will never buy one again.

Favorite Features

at this point nothing.

Suggested Improvements

improve quality. figure out the problems and fix them.

Pleasant Surprise
By Curtis789

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

This is my first Japanese car. I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of this 4-cyl sedan. The 5-speed tranny is the best designed auto I've ever owned, getting the most out of the available power. For city or mixed use, get the 4-cyl. Full load or 100% highway, you may want to consider the 6-cyl. I did not drive the 6 speed auto tranny. Excellent design and build quality. I'm a small guy and I'm still searching around for the seat position that will match the comfort of my old Chrysler 300M, but the support is better in the Mazda. In many circumstances, the Mazda is faster, e.g., starting from red lights.

Favorite Features

2.5L 4-cyl engine matched with 5-speed manumatic tranny.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort, real-time read of tire pressure instead of low pressure alert only.

Mazda6
By Lisakaye

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

You just cant beat this car on quality and performance....... Last car was a 05 mazda6. These are great cars. The 09 and up are bigger inside. (I didn't care) they are just great cars. Fast smooth reliable. And people will stare at the car wherever you go. Esp. The 09-10 models. People ask all the time "what kind of car is it?". I'm sure Mazda would like everyone on the road in one. But it is kind of Nice that they are not everywhere. Makes them unique to drive. Dang how many times do I see a Camry or altima on the road? constantly. Would I Rather have one? no! We tested cars for 6 months before we got this one. You just cant beat it. Zoom zoom zoom. By the way. Its my third Mazda.

Favorite Features

Looks, and the smoothness and handling of the ride. The Bose stereo in it! The sunroof! The whole car.