2009 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Bought the car new.
By 09mazda6gts on 07/04/14 05:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car and have no regrets buying it. There have been a few issues with the car. The battery went bad at two years. The rain sensing wipers are irritating. They will go into high speed in light rain. I bought nav but never use it, (I have Google Maps on my smart phone, much easier to use). I got locked in the car when my wife got out with the key and the doors locked when she walked away. I had to lay on the horn to get her to come back and let me out. The dealer had never heard of that. This wasn't a one time deal, it happens every time in the same situation. 63K on it now, replaced the tires and brakes. The power is great and the tranny is super smooth. Would buy again.

Good performer but has some terrible usability features
By kmukhopa on 05/24/14 08:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 sport and have owned it since 2010. The car has good performance and is comfortable. Overall I have not had major quality issues, but I do have some complaints centering around customer usability ease. First of all, the Key FOB is terribly difficult to open when you need to replace the battery, both to open and to replace the battery are quite hard to do. I have had problems with it not working at all lately, even when I replace the battery, and I will have to take it in. Second, the headlamps are almost impossible to get to so you can replace the bulbs. You have to go underneath the wheels, take out grommets, etc. Mazda needs to work on that.

Built really well....
By realitycheck1 on 01/28/14 14:42 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Interior quality of this car is a step above the competition. Smooth engine, decent acceleration and decent fuel economy. I average 28MPG between highway and city usage. Very reliable. Very roomy and above average handling. Very safe. I was broadsided in it and it held up very well. I find Mazda's in general are certainly a cut or two above its competition. The stock speakers were a little weak, and I find the stock Xenon headlamps are not as powerful as they should be and are very expensive to replace. But this is a very satisfying car.

Fun sporty Mazda with lots of features
By rporterincincy on 08/26/13 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

My wife bought the 2009 Mazda 6i loaded with leather, sunroof, Bose stereo, everything but Navigation. She loves the car and finally understands why some people are "car people". Lot's of interesting features (a switch to adjust the headlight aim, auto wipers, ac, lights, and locks. The car now has 43k miles and has only needed tires and brakes. It has never broken down, the interior and exterior are perfect. I would like the speedo to be larger with easier to see numbering (hard to tell if you are going 75, 72, etc.), and would like the gas mileage to be just a bit better. At 75 mph, the tach is showing about 2,500 rpm. This all said, the ride is comfortable and firm, seats are good.

Zoom Zoom is everywhere
By adick75 on 08/11/13 14:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great car for value on the market. Good millage as a cars with over 270 PS under hood average 21 miles per gallon. Bed side is only limited speed to 132 mph. In Germany hgwy no doubt. You can get easy over 155 mph and the worst is that this car can do it more than that. Nice acceleration 0-60 under 6.5 s. Beast!!! Only speed limit and breaks poor quality (pads changed after 14K miles and rotors after 22K) are under average. Also hand set free system is screwed only for US and Canada with dailling European nr you can do it on phone book.

Really decent vehicle
By realitycheck1 on 01/06/13 20:52 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Exterior design is very attractive. Excellent handling, good pickup from the 4cyl engine. Could be better on the fuel economy but not too bad. Ride is well controlled but it can be a bit busy. Decent room inside, good design to the dash board. Interior quality is a mixed bag. Some parts of the dash and doors are very high end but other parts are cheap feeling. Leather quality is decent, if a little stiff feeling, but it smells good though. Xenon lighting is excellent. I would suggest this car for those who like spirited driving, if you drive it softly it may leave you a bit cold.

Eye catching, Wallet snatching!!
By cc45 on 05/18/12 23:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car still under warranty with roughly 35000 Miles on it in 2011, Car was great drove amazing handled great, I am used to SUVs So it was an adjustment with the wanky 4Cyl init, And very light weight which not a fan of, After having it and discovering the cons there are alot of them, With the HID headlights i had one go out. I thought the bulb was dead took it to mazda and well it needs all new wiring 1000 to fix and then the AC tube leaked. Alot of inside noise when driving at high speeds. Brakes suck, picking up speed and down shifting sucks, The radio is worthless!! the frames in the back the plastic around rear windshield is falling off will not stay attached. JUNK!!

wifeys 2nd mazda 6
By dailydrivernc on 12/23/11 23:01 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

ive been reading reviews of suvs on here thinking of trading our 6. after reading about the issues with the arcadia i thought id check out reviews for the car i already own. these 6's rank high and i thought id put in my 2cents. our 6 has push button start, roof, all options but nav and leather. telescopic steering is nice. fastest 4cyl ive ever drove. 34mpg @65mph, city mid 20s. back seat room is largest and most leg room ive seen. fit and finish is nice but plastic on windsheild pillars starting to warp at just 36k miles, and we park in a garage. guess in the sun at work during the day is taking its toll. traded a hybrid civic on this, 6 has +pwr,+room, and almost same mpg

This car saved my life
By chahn89 on 12/13/11 15:22 PM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I bought this car used, 2009 mazda 6, i bought it 2010 with 38,000 miles, throughout the time it needed simple changtes like breaks n tires n oil but nothin g to big, in 2011 i was hit from the front and both sides and iw as able to walk away from it alive, when everyone including police and paramedics said they had no idea how that happened. GREAT CAR! go mazdaaaaaa :)

Still Perfect
By danalube on 11/15/11 06:40 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new and have racked up about 60,000 miles. Most of those miles were in Florida. The A/C kept my dark car and dark interior very cool. I do have window tint, which helps. In Summer 2011, I drove it from Tampa to Seattle. The cross country drive was very comfortable and problem free. The stereo with Sirius/XM has decent sound and the nav system got me to my new home with no problems either. All I've done to it so far is oil changes and tire rotations. New tires are going on this year. The only thing that I would improve on this car is the handling and better brakes. Previous car was an RX-8. I got spoiled with the brakes and handling on it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda6 in VA is:

$130 per month*