Used 2009 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Bought the car new.
By 09mazda6gts

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

I love the car and have no regrets buying it. There have been a few issues with the car. The battery went bad at two years. The rain sensing wipers are irritating. They will go into high speed in light rain. I bought nav but never use it, (I have Google Maps on my smart phone, much easier to use). I got locked in the car when my wife got out with the key and the doors locked when she walked away. I had to lay on the horn to get her to come back and let me out. The dealer had never heard of that. This wasn't a one time deal, it happens every time in the same situation. 63K on it now, replaced the tires and brakes. The power is great and the tranny is super smooth. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

The car came loaded. Love the sunroof, traction control, stability control, BSM, seat memory, heated seats, XM radio, etc. Traction control has to be turned off when punching it from a dead stop. The wheels spin plenty, especially on half worn tires. This car is fast! I was going to try it at the strip. The transmission is so smooth, up shifting and down shifting that I didn't want to take a chance wrecking something just to see how fast it is. I never back down from a red light challenge though.

Suggested Improvements

The wide wheels have no protection when touching the curb. If you touch the curb, it's the wheels that make first contact, not the tires. It would be nice to have a way to disable the rain sensing wipers. It has to be auto sensing, on, or off. There is no intermittent setting. Redesign the door lock system so the doors can be opened from the inside once they're locked. Can't believe there isn't a recall on this. There is a recall for the door hinge bolts falling out, haven't had that problem yet. This is a great car and I intend to keep it for many more years. The reliability has been excellent.

Good performer but has some terrible usability features
By kmukhopa

2009 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

I have a 2009 Mazda 6 sport and have owned it since 2010. The car has good performance and is comfortable. Overall I have not had major quality issues, but I do have some complaints centering around customer usability ease. First of all, the Key FOB is terribly difficult to open when you need to replace the battery, both to open and to replace the battery are quite hard to do. I have had problems with it not working at all lately, even when I replace the battery, and I will have to take it in. Second, the headlamps are almost impossible to get to so you can replace the bulbs. You have to go underneath the wheels, take out grommets, etc. Mazda needs to work on that.

Favorite Features

Styling, performance

Suggested Improvements

Improve Key FOB ease of use Improve ease of access to headlight bulb change access Steering wheel sometimes has play in it

Built really well....
By realitycheck1

2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

Interior quality of this car is a step above the competition. Smooth engine, decent acceleration and decent fuel economy. I average 28MPG between highway and city usage. Very reliable. Very roomy and above average handling. Very safe. I was broadsided in it and it held up very well. I find Mazda's in general are certainly a cut or two above its competition. The stock speakers were a little weak, and I find the stock Xenon headlamps are not as powerful as they should be and are very expensive to replace. But this is a very satisfying car.

Favorite Features

Good fuel economy, great build quality both mechanical and cosmetically inside and out. Comfortable and sporty...ish. Very safe and solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

Spending as little as 300 dollars to replace the stock speakers did wonders for the sound system. Im investigating what brand of Xenon bulb to buy to make those Xenon headlamps as bright as they should be.

Fun sporty Mazda with lots of features
By rporterincincy

2009 Mazda 6 i Touring 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

My wife bought the 2009 Mazda 6i loaded with leather, sunroof, Bose stereo, everything but Navigation. She loves the car and finally understands why some people are "car people". Lot's of interesting features (a switch to adjust the headlight aim, auto wipers, ac, lights, and locks. The car now has 43k miles and has only needed tires and brakes. It has never broken down, the interior and exterior are perfect. I would like the speedo to be larger with easier to see numbering (hard to tell if you are going 75, 72, etc.), and would like the gas mileage to be just a bit better. At 75 mph, the tach is showing about 2,500 rpm. This all said, the ride is comfortable and firm, seats are good.

Favorite Features

Auto A/C, programmable seats, auto wipers, blind side warning, auto dim mirrors (even the side mirrors),

Suggested Improvements

Make the speedometer larger and/or put a digital speedo in., increase fuel economy a bit.

Zoom Zoom is everywhere
By adick75

2009 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Great car for value on the market. Good millage as a cars with over 270 PS under hood average 21 miles per gallon. Bed side is only limited speed to 132 mph. In Germany hgwy no doubt. You can get easy over 155 mph and the worst is that this car can do it more than that. Nice acceleration 0-60 under 6.5 s. Beast!!! Only speed limit and breaks poor quality (pads changed after 14K miles and rotors after 22K) are under average. Also hand set free system is screwed only for US and Canada with dailling European nr you can do it on phone book.

Favorite Features

Iluminate dash controls (blue and orange clocks) Awsome. Bose system and traction. Zoom Zoom ZOOOOOOOM. I deffenetly love it.

Suggested Improvements

Breaks (poor quality need to be much better for that kind of power) and no offer 4x4. Shame