Used 2008 Mazda 6 i Sport Value Edition Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Luv it!
By Sarah

2008 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my car yesterday after doing lots of research and I don't regret it. Buying a used 08 with low mileage fully loaded was a much better deal than getting a new 09 base model. The 08 is more fun to drive and it feels very sporty. Plus it has better gas mileage than the 09.

Favorite Features

volume control on steering wheel, the leather steering wheel and shifter, fast acceleration, large trunk, and lots of space for my friends

Suggested Improvements

the shifting could be smoother but I guess that's the sport part of it ;)

Protege ES replacement
By badger_mazdaman

2008 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Had owned a 2002 Mazda Protege ES. That car was such a well controlled handler, but was starting to get too punishing on midwestern roads hammered by a hard winter. The 08 Mazda6 is almost as fun to whip around as the Protege, but a much easier car to live with - better balance between fun and comfort. But of course handling still beats the pants off an Accord or (yawn) Camry! Size was just-right for me, and comfy enough in back that I don't feel guilty putting passengers back there like I used to.

Favorite Features

Handling, handling, handling!! Without killing you. Feature content was great for price. I like a snug cockpit (others might not).

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy: but having a manual allows me to drive like a racecar when wanted, or like a miser when wanted. Upper back support of the seat was crappy - I had to make a foam cushion to make it comfy for both long drives or hard cornering. Brake pedal is also a tad too close to seat.

I like it
By Rob Ovel

2008 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I didn't fall in love with it until they pulled it up for me at the dealership. Got almost 31 mpg on a 5 hour drive to KC which shocked me. CEL came on, dealership reset w/o problem. Dashboard can easily be seen during day. I think people are driving with their headlights on which does dim the radio lights but you have to roll the knob on the dash up and it shows up, just as bright as at night. Turning radius is not the greatest. Kind of expecting one more turn of the wheel and then it stops. Very hollow sound on the roof during rain and driving through puddles. Interior's nice and I love being able to close a vent and not have air continue to blow out.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel. If I only had a mute button for the kids in the back seat. Sunroof, silver exterior, black interior, quiet ride even with sunroof cracked.

Suggested Improvements

You've got to give me auto locks! Needs to display mpg as well. Improve turning radius. A little more power. Paint on grill chips a little too easy. Have the engine fail to turn over whenever my wife tries to drive it. She never puts the seat back! And don't get me started on her driving!

Great car for the money
By zoomzoom84

2008 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Value Edition comes very noticeable and usable features such as a power front driver seat, 6 cd changer, and 17" alloys. This immediately puts the Mazda above many of its 4 cylinder competitors. The ride is smooth, the seats are great for sitting in traffic and long road trips, and I've averaged between 28-32 MPG for mixed driving! The styling is very trendy and the black casing for the tailights and headlights make it look extra sporty! This car is perfect for both commuting to/from work and for cruising around the city. The 5 speed manual shifts smoothly out of 1st and you can really feel the power at the top of 2nd and throughout 3rd. Engine is powerful enough for a 2.3L, 4 cylinder.

Favorite Features

The multi-function steering wheel allows you to switch between different audio modes, volume, tracks, and there's a mute button! All very cool. The sound system thumps pretty loud for some stock speakers! Also, the backseat is spacious for a couple of buddies and the trunk could probably fit 2 more!

Suggested Improvements

The turning radius on this car is horrible. Making a U-turn onto a two lane road requires effort and it has sometimes required a 3 point turn if the turn is miscalculated. Also, when you steer the wheel to the extreme left or right, you really feel the car start to squeak.

Owned almost 3 weeks
By Mary Lou

2008 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far I like the car, very sporty. Rides and handles nice, good pick up for a 4 cylinder. Good visibility, no obstructions, can see very well even with spoiler.

Favorite Features

I like the wheels, power mirrors, 6 disc CD changer and nice size glove box. Also the controls on the steering wheel are convenient. The temperature indicator and compass is neat too.

Suggested Improvements

Would like auto locks, I'm used to the doors locking upon entry. Also a larger sunroof that opens wider. I'd like to have power seats on passenger side too. Would change position of headrests, they hit the back of my head. Driver's side can be adjusted by moving seat back but not passenger side.