2006 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Review: Very nice car with minor flaws

2006 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Review

Very nice car with minor flaws.
By Daniel K. P. on

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've only had the car for 6 weeks. So far I consider it a good buy. I will mention the flaws, and anything else I'm happy with. The car doesn't have enough insulation to keep out surrounding noise. The turning radius in the car is too wide, which is odd. I mean, why? The lumbar support on the driver's seat has already broken. When stepping hard on the gas to pass on the highway the engine drops down to 2nd gear and the tachometer comes very close to the red line. The gas mileage is not as advertised, although I've been told by a knowledgeable friend that it will probably increase in time with engine break-in. The seats are somewhat uncomfortable after sitting in them a while.

Favorite Features

Great look to car with a well designed interior. I like the driver's wheel controls. The constant dash lighting is nice. The car performs well, takes high speed turns in a confident manner, and is surprisingly good in the snow, but don't we all wish for more horsepower?

Suggested Improvements

As stated above; better insulation, tighter turning radius, more comfortable seats, stronger mechanism for lumbar support, have engine drop to 3rd gear instead of 2nd when stepping hard on the gas to pass, and better gas mileage (again, could increase with engine break-in).