Used 2006 Mazda 6 s Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Bad Transmission
By saltguy

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car almost four years and 54,000 miles ago. Just went out of warranty (50,000) and needs a new transmission. We took the car in a year ago, under warranty, and the mechanics couldn't find the problem we were having with the car slipping out of gear while accelerating. It started to get worse right after we went over 50,000 miles, so we took it back in. They isolated the issue, but said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore. No way a car with 54,000 highway miles should need a new transmission. And the fact that Mazda wouldn't stand behind the car tells me a lot about their confidence in their product. This was our first and last Mazda. Done!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and overall looks are good.

Suggested Improvements

transmission! Also, the defroster doesn't work very well. Hard to keep windows clear on rainy days.

Good looking car but bad quality
By bad qulity

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a great looking car, but a lot of repairs. For the last 2 years I've been around 30 times to dealerships, I changed the transmission twice, trunk shocks 4 times, battery, changed tires twice and so on. Now have problem with the engine and my warranty just expired. I am not recommending to buy this car - a lot of trouble. I am so tired to go every time to the dealership and wait for my car to be fixed, sometimes it's more then a week I have to wait, it's time consuming and a big headache. The car is shaking when you start this car. Slow switching from gears. Does not accelerate fast enough.

Favorite Features

Hatchback trunk - I love it! I like color and shape, volume control on steering wheel. Compartments.

Suggested Improvements

First they have to improve quality of parts they are making. Make removable rear seats headrest (it's in the way when you look back).

Very small, fun, hard to customize radio
By Clinton70

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car briefly. It's fun to drive and didn't have problems in the 5 months I had it. It was small though. The radio stunk as it didn't play mp3 discs and didn't have an aux input. It would've been almost $500 to upgrade to aftermarket because of a trim panel connected to the climate is $200. The ride was nice, the steering sporty, and gas mileage is good for the highway and mediocre for city. Good power.

Favorite Features

Power. Highway mileage. Factory wheels. Hatchback. Dashboard. Sporty design in and out. Paint color selection. Auto climate control. Automatic shifter with manual controls. Face/look of the radio (just not the sound and lack of technology).

Suggested Improvements

Please make your own sporty engine instead of borrowing from boring Ford. More room. Better radio. Better sound out of the radio. City mileage. Back legroom. Trunk size. Better cloth interior quality.

zoom zoom Mazda 6 zoom
By zum zum zum

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

One of the best cars I've ever owned so far, think I might buy a second one so we can have twins in the driveway.

Favorite Features

The Bose moonroof package; the sound is unbelievable at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

Sirius should be standard and what ever happened to ashtrays?