Used 2006 Mazda 6 s Grand Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

5 years in and very happy
By faztang1

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm winding down my life with my Mazda6 and must say overall it was a good 5 years. The car is 10 times better looking than a vanilla Camry or Accord. The subtle hatchback look is very sporty and the trunk is huge! Great looking car. Performance wise, the 215hp V-6 is not the strongest in class, but gets the job done. However I was not impressed with the fuel economy. Most small to mid sized current cross overs get better mileage. Handling is good but the 18 inch tires really bang around on bumpy rounds. I bent all 4 rims and went down to 17's. Reliability has been great, only some small plastic pieces are starting to get loose. Interior is decent, but rear seats are a little tight.

Best feature is the utility of the hatchback with the look of a sports sedan. They should of kept this design around and added 4wd, that would have been a great combo.

more power, better gas mileage, more room for back seats.

Waste of money
By Chuck

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a mazda 6 GT fully loaded in April 2006, and I had some small problems (rear defroster stopped working, lights went out) but nothing big until a year later the engine started making noise, so I brought it in and the service manager says it will cost $15,000 to fix(with a straight face) apparently it is not covered under warranty, Same thing happened to my cousin but she had a Mazda 3.

Sound system was ok, Looked great on the outside

Better reliability

Sporty,comfort,convience
By aussie chicago

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently traded a 97 outback, began looking for something sportier, more comfortable, with convenience of space, initially was looking at a newer outback, decided on the 6 hatch. Just had to be patient to find the right one, which took about 4 months. I didn't really need the fully optioned g/s, but I did want the Bose and sunroof, glad I did, feels very comfortable on long drives, power of the v6 is acceptable, handles very well, steering is perfect, love the space of the hatch with seats down, HIDs are nice, economy is not great but not horrible 19 cty, 27 hwy, just love the sporty style. Haven't had any problems at all.

Xenon lights, steer/audio controls, convenience of hatch, handling/driver input feel, comfort on long distance, stylish exterior, nav easy to use, 6 sp auto very smooth, 1 touch auto up/down windows with auto down from remote (nice in summer) quiet ride, little road noise, retractable key fob.

Better finish with materials in interior, leather feels a little cheap, need 1 touch sunroof opening, Bose system ok, not as good as the stock system in my 07 legacy, better vision in rear, difficult to judge back of car when parking, poor turning circle, heat coming through air vents on fresh.

Amazing Purchase
By mazdanola

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We recently bought a 2006 Mazda6 5-door after it came off a 12 month lease. The first year of depreciation on these is pretty steep and would recommend buying one a year old if you can, we got a $27,000 car for $21,000 by doing this, and it's flawless condition with only 25,000 miles. We park on the street and love it because it has the versatility of an SUV but the packaging of a car. It's sporty, fun to drive and exceedingly comfortable, so far we love it!

The interior is fabulous, and the exterior is super sharp, especially the 18 inch rims. It rides firm but soaks up the bumps.

Make the mirrors foldable!

Very nice car with minor flaws.
By Daniel K. P.

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've only had the car for 6 weeks. So far I consider it a good buy. I will mention the flaws, and anything else I'm happy with. The car doesn't have enough insulation to keep out surrounding noise. The turning radius in the car is too wide, which is odd. I mean, why? The lumbar support on the driver's seat has already broken. When stepping hard on the gas to pass on the highway the engine drops down to 2nd gear and the tachometer comes very close to the red line. The gas mileage is not as advertised, although I've been told by a knowledgeable friend that it will probably increase in time with engine break-in. The seats are somewhat uncomfortable after sitting in them a while.

Great look to car with a well designed interior. I like the driver's wheel controls. The constant dash lighting is nice. The car performs well, takes high speed turns in a confident manner, and is surprisingly good in the snow, but don't we all wish for more horsepower?

As stated above; better insulation, tighter turning radius, more comfortable seats, stronger mechanism for lumbar support, have engine drop to 3rd gear instead of 2nd when stepping hard on the gas to pass, and better gas mileage (again, could increase with engine break-in).