Used 2006 Mazda 6 i Sport Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Not too shabby
By medman13

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the sporty look and feel of the car. Enjoy the gas mileage and the roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine a little more beefy!! Also for the hatchback ensure that water cannot leak through the rear hatch at any area. Give it a better A/C unit so that it does not have to be replaced and redesign the engine compartment for more owner friendly replacement of headlights and things. Also put seats closer to floor in the car. Back seat is almost perfect but front seat feel a little high for the sporty look that the car gives off.

High Miles
By trepz

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mazda now has over 140,000 miles and running strong. Nothing but routine maintenance. Slight trans slip in 4th gear if driven hard. Still handles beautifully.

Love the style but maintenance is the killer
By JSPEED6

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine back in May 06. I loved the styling and functionality of the hatchback without looking like one. My only complaint from the start was the lack of engine pickup. It's nice to have a smooth riding car but it has no oomf. I'm only at 25k miles and brought it in for inspection to find that I needed new rear brakes and rotors...already? The new rotors rust up often like the old ones so I don't anticipate any longer wear. Also my check engine light was on due to a faulty O2 sensor that they were going to replace but got a new "procedure" to reset and see if it happens again....it did and I had to drop off for a couple days all over again. Be prepared to spend the maintenance dollars.

Favorite Features

Styling, hatchback, lights, very comfortable seats!

Suggested Improvements

Engine response in automatic (I got the V4 because the V6 wasn't any quicker, just quieter and used more gas). Terrible brake wear (rotors rust all the time, on my second set of Mazda brand doing the same as the originals)

A Great Sedan That You Should Consider
By DVX135

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a car that is fun to drive, comfortable, sporty and utilitarian all in one, get a Mazda 6 5-door. The back seat folds completely flat, so I can haul bikes, guitar/amp, home improvement supplies, and 5 4-5 people comfortably. I have the 2.3l 4cyl engine with the 5 speed manual trans, and I don't know why anyone would want/need the V6. This car can move and has been a pleasure to own. The bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Do yourself a favor, and at least test drive one.

Favorite Features

Snappy handling, great "feel" of shift and steering, the Bose premium sound system, interior quality, 5-door design for making it a multi-purpose vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The drivetrain could be a bit quieter, although you won't notice with the stereo on. Better ventilation: the air coming through the vents is warmer than the outside air. Offer sport suspension w/o having to get the MazdaSpeed version.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By skull_crossbones

2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

12 visits to the shop in 16 months. What more can I say. Basically it has been in for warranty work about every 5 weeks. I contacted Mazda's customer service and 5 weeks later I get a call telling me that they are sorry about all the problems with the car. So, now I am stuck with a totally unreliable car that is horribly upside down because the resale on the cars is awful. Now this is all to a customer who has purchased 4 new Mazdas in the past 6 years. I just wonder how they treat someone that wasn't that good of a customer. My message to MAZDA, "I am done with you and will never grace your doors again". Thank you for showing me such loyalty. Mine was proven but now gone!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, fuel economy, and power.