2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Not too shabby
By medman13 on 12/14/11 20:57 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

High Miles
By trepz on 07/27/10 15:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mazda now has over 140,000 miles and running strong. Nothing but routine maintenance. Slight trans slip in 4th gear if driven hard. Still handles beautifully.

Love the style but maintenance is the killer
By JSPEED6 on 12/12/08 11:58 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine back in May 06. I loved the styling and functionality of the hatchback without looking like one. My only complaint from the start was the lack of engine pickup. It's nice to have a smooth riding car but it has no oomf. I'm only at 25k miles and brought it in for inspection to find that I needed new rear brakes and rotors...already? The new rotors rust up often like the old ones so I don't anticipate any longer wear. Also my check engine light was on due to a faulty O2 sensor that they were going to replace but got a new "procedure" to reset and see if it happens again....it did and I had to drop off for a couple days all over again. Be prepared to spend the maintenance dollars.

A Great Sedan That You Should Consider
By DVX135 on 12/06/07 19:06 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a car that is fun to drive, comfortable, sporty and utilitarian all in one, get a Mazda 6 5-door. The back seat folds completely flat, so I can haul bikes, guitar/amp, home improvement supplies, and 5 4-5 people comfortably. I have the 2.3l 4cyl engine with the 5 speed manual trans, and I don't know why anyone would want/need the V6. This car can move and has been a pleasure to own. The bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Do yourself a favor, and at least test drive one.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By skull_crossbones on 09/28/07 06:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

12 visits to the shop in 16 months. What more can I say. Basically it has been in for warranty work about every 5 weeks. I contacted Mazda's customer service and 5 weeks later I get a call telling me that they are sorry about all the problems with the car. So, now I am stuck with a totally unreliable car that is horribly upside down because the resale on the cars is awful. Now this is all to a customer who has purchased 4 new Mazdas in the past 6 years. I just wonder how they treat someone that wasn't that good of a customer. My message to MAZDA, "I am done with you and will never grace your doors again". Thank you for showing me such loyalty. Mine was proven but now gone!

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By xlr824 on 09/14/07 07:52 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Let's start with the good parts. The car handles great and looks great. It is very comfortable. Now the bad. The car has been in the shop 12 times in 14 months. Everything from lumbar supports breaking (twice) to a fuel pump failure and several things in between. This is the 4th new Mazda I have owned in the past 6 years. I have been waiting a month for Mazda to make any decision on what they are going to do to satisfy their "good" customer on a car that has been a true "piece". The true quality of a company is shown not when everything is well but how they handle it when it is not well.

sweet car
By Bill on 12/31/06 21:55 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I searched for the right car and was looking at the 6 and a Civic, my sister has a Civic, and my Mazda6 beats the Civic hands down in style, look and interior, as well as the drive. The color, bright island blue, is an eye catcher and all the features are more than enough.

Best Car I Have Ever Owned!
By Christy T. on 12/29/06 19:13 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have just bought this car a few days ago but I have already figured out that I made a good choice. I was looking for a car to keep and not keep trading every few years. I think I have found it in the Mazda6. I like the handling, equipment, styling, roominess. I have the 2.3l 5speed.

Great Car / Great Value
By nycmoose on 11/09/06 20:14 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Handles like a sports car, especially on twisty country roads, FUN to drive and as comfortable as a big highway cruiser on long trips. My opinion: you don't need the V6; the 4 is sufficient and when you need to punch it it really takes off. Mileage from 23 to 29 mixed highway/city and with and without a/c. 4,700 miles and so far not a squeak, rattle or problem. Perfect size vehicle, plenty of room yet agile; can't beat the versatility of the hatch. Excellent driving position; very comfortable seats. Very quiet. Transmission nice and smooth. On the downside: bad rear over the shoulder blind spot; side mirrors don't retract (very bad for living in NYC); turning radius is annoying but not horrible.

Mazda 6 is a fun and good looking ride!
By Michael on 06/24/06 20:56 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My Mazda 6 has a hatchback but looks like a sports sedan and has a spoiler, moon roof and many other great features. I love the way it looks and how much fun it is to drive. I love the red interior lighting on the dash. Besides looking good it is much easier on the eyes on road trips.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.