2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Not too shabby
By medman13 on 12/14/11 20:57 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

5 years in and very happy
By faztang1 on 01/14/11 12:08 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm winding down my life with my Mazda6 and must say overall it was a good 5 years. The car is 10 times better looking than a vanilla Camry or Accord. The subtle hatchback look is very sporty and the trunk is huge! Great looking car. Performance wise, the 215hp V-6 is not the strongest in class, but gets the job done. However I was not impressed with the fuel economy. Most small to mid sized current cross overs get better mileage. Handling is good but the 18 inch tires really bang around on bumpy rounds. I bent all 4 rims and went down to 17's. Reliability has been great, only some small plastic pieces are starting to get loose. Interior is decent, but rear seats are a little tight.

Bad Transmission
By saltguy on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car almost four years and 54,000 miles ago. Just went out of warranty (50,000) and needs a new transmission. We took the car in a year ago, under warranty, and the mechanics couldn't find the problem we were having with the car slipping out of gear while accelerating. It started to get worse right after we went over 50,000 miles, so we took it back in. They isolated the issue, but said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore. No way a car with 54,000 highway miles should need a new transmission. And the fact that Mazda wouldn't stand behind the car tells me a lot about their confidence in their product. This was our first and last Mazda. Done!

High Miles
By trepz on 07/27/10 15:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mazda now has over 140,000 miles and running strong. Nothing but routine maintenance. Slight trans slip in 4th gear if driven hard. Still handles beautifully.

Waste of money
By Chuck on 01/16/10 00:36 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a mazda 6 GT fully loaded in April 2006, and I had some small problems (rear defroster stopped working, lights went out) but nothing big until a year later the engine started making noise, so I brought it in and the service manager says it will cost $15,000 to fix(with a straight face) apparently it is not covered under warranty, Same thing happened to my cousin but she had a Mazda 3.

Love the style but maintenance is the killer
By JSPEED6 on 12/12/08 11:58 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine back in May 06. I loved the styling and functionality of the hatchback without looking like one. My only complaint from the start was the lack of engine pickup. It's nice to have a smooth riding car but it has no oomf. I'm only at 25k miles and brought it in for inspection to find that I needed new rear brakes and rotors...already? The new rotors rust up often like the old ones so I don't anticipate any longer wear. Also my check engine light was on due to a faulty O2 sensor that they were going to replace but got a new "procedure" to reset and see if it happens again....it did and I had to drop off for a couple days all over again. Be prepared to spend the maintenance dollars.

Good looking car but bad quality
By bad qulity on 11/26/08 20:50 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a great looking car, but a lot of repairs. For the last 2 years I've been around 30 times to dealerships, I changed the transmission twice, trunk shocks 4 times, battery, changed tires twice and so on. Now have problem with the engine and my warranty just expired. I am not recommending to buy this car - a lot of trouble. I am so tired to go every time to the dealership and wait for my car to be fixed, sometimes it's more then a week I have to wait, it's time consuming and a big headache. The car is shaking when you start this car. Slow switching from gears. Does not accelerate fast enough.

Very small, fun, hard to customize radio
By Clinton70 on 11/03/08 13:14 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car briefly. It's fun to drive and didn't have problems in the 5 months I had it. It was small though. The radio stunk as it didn't play mp3 discs and didn't have an aux input. It would've been almost $500 to upgrade to aftermarket because of a trim panel connected to the climate is $200. The ride was nice, the steering sporty, and gas mileage is good for the highway and mediocre for city. Good power.

Sporty,comfort,convience
By aussie chicago on 09/02/08 11:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently traded a 97 outback, began looking for something sportier, more comfortable, with convenience of space, initially was looking at a newer outback, decided on the 6 hatch. Just had to be patient to find the right one, which took about 4 months. I didn't really need the fully optioned g/s, but I did want the Bose and sunroof, glad I did, feels very comfortable on long drives, power of the v6 is acceptable, handles very well, steering is perfect, love the space of the hatch with seats down, HIDs are nice, economy is not great but not horrible 19 cty, 27 hwy, just love the sporty style. Haven't had any problems at all.

A Great Sedan That You Should Consider
By DVX135 on 12/06/07 19:06 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

If you want a car that is fun to drive, comfortable, sporty and utilitarian all in one, get a Mazda 6 5-door. The back seat folds completely flat, so I can haul bikes, guitar/amp, home improvement supplies, and 5 4-5 people comfortably. I have the 2.3l 4cyl engine with the 5 speed manual trans, and I don't know why anyone would want/need the V6. This car can move and has been a pleasure to own. The bottom line is that I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Do yourself a favor, and at least test drive one.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.