Used 2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Not too shabby
By medman13

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

Favorite Features

Enjoy the sporty look and feel of the car. Enjoy the gas mileage and the roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Make the engine a little more beefy!! Also for the hatchback ensure that water cannot leak through the rear hatch at any area. Give it a better A/C unit so that it does not have to be replaced and redesign the engine compartment for more owner friendly replacement of headlights and things. Also put seats closer to floor in the car. Back seat is almost perfect but front seat feel a little high for the sporty look that the car gives off.

5 years in and very happy
By faztang1

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm winding down my life with my Mazda6 and must say overall it was a good 5 years. The car is 10 times better looking than a vanilla Camry or Accord. The subtle hatchback look is very sporty and the trunk is huge! Great looking car. Performance wise, the 215hp V-6 is not the strongest in class, but gets the job done. However I was not impressed with the fuel economy. Most small to mid sized current cross overs get better mileage. Handling is good but the 18 inch tires really bang around on bumpy rounds. I bent all 4 rims and went down to 17's. Reliability has been great, only some small plastic pieces are starting to get loose. Interior is decent, but rear seats are a little tight.

Favorite Features

Best feature is the utility of the hatchback with the look of a sports sedan. They should of kept this design around and added 4wd, that would have been a great combo.

Suggested Improvements

more power, better gas mileage, more room for back seats.

Bad Transmission
By saltguy

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car almost four years and 54,000 miles ago. Just went out of warranty (50,000) and needs a new transmission. We took the car in a year ago, under warranty, and the mechanics couldn't find the problem we were having with the car slipping out of gear while accelerating. It started to get worse right after we went over 50,000 miles, so we took it back in. They isolated the issue, but said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore. No way a car with 54,000 highway miles should need a new transmission. And the fact that Mazda wouldn't stand behind the car tells me a lot about their confidence in their product. This was our first and last Mazda. Done!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and overall looks are good.

Suggested Improvements

transmission! Also, the defroster doesn't work very well. Hard to keep windows clear on rainy days.

High Miles
By trepz

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mazda now has over 140,000 miles and running strong. Nothing but routine maintenance. Slight trans slip in 4th gear if driven hard. Still handles beautifully.

Waste of money
By Chuck

2006 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a mazda 6 GT fully loaded in April 2006, and I had some small problems (rear defroster stopped working, lights went out) but nothing big until a year later the engine started making noise, so I brought it in and the service manager says it will cost $15,000 to fix(with a straight face) apparently it is not covered under warranty, Same thing happened to my cousin but she had a Mazda 3.

Favorite Features

Sound system was ok, Looked great on the outside

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability