2006 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Fun sports sedan!
By mmsim on 02/08/12 09:57 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This was the first car I purchased myself. I'm the second owner of an '06 Mazda6. In regard to appearance, this car is definitely "sexy", especially in the Dark Cherry color I have. I drove an '03 Toyota Camry before this Mazda6 and I can assure you, the Mazda6 is sportier, smaller, and more fun to drive. I haven't had any serious issues with the vehicle, besides the routine maintenance (oil change, tires,). I had one mechanical problem when I first bought the car but it was under warranty so no cost to me. The speed and handling of this vehicle is up to par; it exceeds my expectations, especially being a 4-banger. Overall I would HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to any prospective purchasers.

Most reliable car I ever bought
By idahogal on 01/29/12 09:04 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I bought my Mazda6 new in 2006 and have been really happy with it. I commute 60 miles a day round trip and have never had it in the shop for anything other than regular maintanence. The only minor thing that was ever wrong with it was a missalignment of the window washer fluid jets. It has never left me stranded, never has made any weird sounds and is really quite fun to drive. I just got it detailed, waxed and the headlights buffed and people at work think the car still looks brand new. The body style is still so current, I don't know if it will ever be outdated. I am so glad that I made the choice to buy Mazda.

Not too shabby
By medman13 on 12/14/11 20:57 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car now for about 1 yr. I bought this when i decided to go back to school. It has an overall great design to it and gives a professional look when needed as well as a sporty look when needed. It is reasonable on gas however lacks desired power. The stick is fun to drive and shifts quite well, however an automatic would have been a better choice as an everyday driver in town. The car is said to be the poor mans BMW and holds true to that in many facets.

Great value
By ponchojack on 11/10/11 06:23 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Mazda almost 5 years. It has been a great, fun car to drive with very low maintenance costs. The interior is comfortable and highly functional, even with the standard options. The only gripe is the turning radius. Not an easy car to work in tight spaces. This might be a trade off for the good handling at speed. The motto "zoom, zoom!" truly applies to this car. Its just fun to drive.

Think I Bought a Lemon!
By pstiles1 on 07/31/11 11:38 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Sport 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2006 Mazda 6 new. I am sad to say, I think that I bought an albatross. It has become a money pit. I have put 3 sets of tires at around $1000.00 per set. The air conditioner had to be replaced. The drive chain broke & had to be replaced, thank God it was under warranty! I have had to replace the clutch. The dashboard compartment broke and now my head liner is falling down near the rear window. I also have a very audible "squeaking noise" as the car changes speed which the dealer (whom I will never work with again) says is the ac's clutch since my car is "old." I had an RX7 which I loved. This car is a big disappointment!

5 years in and very happy
By faztang1 on 01/14/11 12:08 PM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm winding down my life with my Mazda6 and must say overall it was a good 5 years. The car is 10 times better looking than a vanilla Camry or Accord. The subtle hatchback look is very sporty and the trunk is huge! Great looking car. Performance wise, the 215hp V-6 is not the strongest in class, but gets the job done. However I was not impressed with the fuel economy. Most small to mid sized current cross overs get better mileage. Handling is good but the 18 inch tires really bang around on bumpy rounds. I bent all 4 rims and went down to 17's. Reliability has been great, only some small plastic pieces are starting to get loose. Interior is decent, but rear seats are a little tight.

Bad Transmission
By saltguy on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife bought this car almost four years and 54,000 miles ago. Just went out of warranty (50,000) and needs a new transmission. We took the car in a year ago, under warranty, and the mechanics couldn't find the problem we were having with the car slipping out of gear while accelerating. It started to get worse right after we went over 50,000 miles, so we took it back in. They isolated the issue, but said it wasn't covered by warranty anymore. No way a car with 54,000 highway miles should need a new transmission. And the fact that Mazda wouldn't stand behind the car tells me a lot about their confidence in their product. This was our first and last Mazda. Done!

Permanent Fan
By neamazdalover on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE this car. 6iSport with 5-speed manual. Cloth seats, sunroof, spoiler, 6 disc CD, power windows and seats, airbags all around, and all for $20,000 brand new. This thing eats up the road like nothing I've ever driven before. I drive about 200 miles of rural, s-curves everyday and love every minute of it. Zoom, zoom is right on, but watch tire choices when you have to buy new. Suspension is so tight, tires sometimes can't keep up. Value X 10 for the cost. Stops on a dime! Half the price (and great financing options) of a BMW 3 series, but not nearly half the experience. This from someone who was driving a different car every two years, but I think I've found THE ONE!

Best Kept Secret Out There
By yamura on 10/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '06 6s in early '07. Probably sat on the dealer's lot a long time because of the manual trans. However, maybe because of that I got a very good deal, too. Aside from a headliner that pulled away from the rear window and breakage of the lumbar support about 400 miles prior to expiration of the warranty, and somewhat early replacement of the battery, the car has been trouble free. It is a hoot to drive, strong runner with a good mid-range, and surprisingly good gas mileage avg about 22 in town and 27 on hwy.

High Miles
By trepz on 07/27/10 15:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 Mazda now has over 140,000 miles and running strong. Nothing but routine maintenance. Slight trans slip in 4th gear if driven hard. Still handles beautifully.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.