Beefed-up 6
By neobopr on
2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
When I purchased my manual '05 a year ago it only had 13k on it (now it has 28k). I immediately added a cold-air intake and swapped in the mazdaspeed springs. I also added a takabe strut tower brace in the spring. What a huge difference! In my opinion, this car is now the complete equal of any of the best BMW 3 or 5 offerings aside from their "M" series--and at a very "non-BMW" price. Everything else is stock including the tires which I will be replacing with Falken ZIEX 512's in the late spring. This car replaced an '88 Porsche 944 which had been a project car. Here is a significant statement, with the alterations to the 6, I do not miss the 944, plus with 4 doors and a trunk!
Favorite Features
The interior is incredibly quiet at freeway speeds making the Bose system sound even better. I added the component cassette for my ipod adapter (cheaper and less involved than the specialty ipod add-ons for the Bose system). I've owned a lot of cars, this one is this one is one of the top three!
Suggested Improvements
1/8" input for ipods. Gas mileage improvement to 29 or 30 mpg on highway--probably easily accomplised with a 6th gear on the manual models. Less restrictive stock air intake box. These are minor though compared to how incredibly happy I am with this car after my alterations and compared to BMW's