Used 2005 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Mazda 6i , A Great Sports Sedan
By Chris D

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great alternative to a Honda Accord EX (I own a 2001 Accord EX also). What's not to like about this car? Build quality has been great. A 5 speed, 16V DOHC 4 cylinder, 4 wheel discs with ABS, Michelin Pilots, moon roof, Bose stereo, front, side and side curtain air bags. A very nice, fun to drive vehicle. Fuel economy HWY: 28 MPG City: 24 MPG.

Driving it. It handles like a sports car.

The manual transmission needs a 6th gear. It would improve highway MPG.

Overall good car for the money
By Brandon

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

So far, so good. Car went back to the dealer for a steering pull. There's a TSB about it, and it was corrected. No other problems. It's nice both inside and out.

Nice dash layout. Good ride.

The canister-style oil filter does not lend itself to do-it-yourself changes, as you have to remove the bottom air dam (6 bolts) to even get to it. Then you have to replace 2 o-rings for the canister. You also have to find and buy a tool to get the canister off. What a pain!

It Truly is Zoom-Zoom
By Bradfield1379

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After coming out of a Ford Explorer and into a sports car, I was amazed at the agility and response of the 6. I also have had the privilege of driving a 2004 Ford Mustang over the past year and actually enjoy the Mazda6 even more. The handling is superb, gripping the road even during hard cornering, and it will get up and go when you need to pass. The 160 hp in-line 4 feels more powerful than it sounds and doesn't disappoint. Zoom-Zoom is an appropriate slogan for this well rounded machine.

The Sport Automatic Transmission is responsive, and makes it more "Fun" to drive, the 17 inch wheels grip the road at every turn, and the gas mileage is great too. Standard Audio controls on the steering wheel are a plus to stay focused on the road.

I would have liked to seen the 5 speed auto in 2005, and the audio system makes it difficult to upgrade from the "stock" radio. The internal material could have been better, and they have improved it for 2006. I would have liked to have the options for Xenon headlamps like the 3.

Gotta Love Mazda
By Ange

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It handles just as well as my older BMW 3 series sedan, and is much much better in the snow. So far, I have taken it through 2 snow days, and it handles great. I feel very safe in the car. I also am pleased with the way it handles in the rain. The extra features like the stereo (Bose) and the interior air bags were reasonably priced compared to other vehicles in its class. The styling is also great, it's very unique looking and I get compliments all the time. I have the spoiler and side moldings that I think make the car. If you are looking for one, I feel they look much better with the spoiler.I would definitely buy another Mazda6, from a different dealership though

Spoiler, side moldings, Bose package w/ power moonroof, large truck (60/40 split), traction control.

Better gas mileage. Cloth interior is kind of cheap, and looks bad in any color but black. Also, the drivers side seat belt rubs up against the vinyl interior by the side door and makes scratches.

The affordable practical sports car
By DavidS

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Handling compares favorably with the RX-7 I used to have. Heater is incredibly fast. Get leather with heated seats and you will never touch cloth again. Makes my 80 mile daily commute very pleasant. Some say it's small, but I prefer a tighter, sportscar-like cabin. Most Americans like to sit in a cave when they drive, I guess.

Very sticky handling, even with the stock Michelins. Symbiotic driving experience. Actually delivers 31MPG highway!

This car deserves better than those second-class Ford engines. Shifter feels like it's all plastic under the boot. Bose sound goes to junk when cranked up. Driver window buttons a little too far towards the front. Lock buttons a little awkward to operate. And finally, memory seats!