Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Solid Sports Sedan
By Jpmerrill

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this car after my last one died without considering much else. I always liked the utility of four doors but wanted something sporty and equipped with a 5 or 6 spd, the Mazda seemed like an amazing value and I always admired the looks. The v6 is a solid piece, good for cruising and supplying passing power on the highway but a little weak before 3k RPMS. The manual transmission is a treat and one of the slickest shifting operations I've used. Interior quality is better then what you pay for and the exterior has a fantastic and pleasant appeal. Gas mileage is marginally good, but I did opt for the v6 so any complaint is self inflicted. Overall love the car and the value it offers.

Sporty queues on the exterior and well equipped suspension and drive train to back it up. I'll also admit that I like the way the chrome fuel door looks too and the classy/sporty interior were every number seems to be italicized.

Integrate an MP3 player jack on the audio cluster, a little bit more pep out of the engine without changing displacement, better low end gearing/tuning to get up to speed with out running the engine out in first.

True Grand Touring
By Rick

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my primary business vehicle as a traveling sales manager with a long commute. I purchase a new or almost new car every three years and because of the high mileage and business use I prefer mid-size sedans that don't kill me on depreciation. My 6S satisfies my desire for performance and handling. I opted for the five-speed which I am glad I did because the engine is a bit weak until 2500 rpm then revs smoothly and quickly. Great cruiser, reliable, fun and 23-27 mpg

Bose system is awesome. Great controls and ergonomics. Great handling, w/on-center steering at highway+ speeds. Nice equip. for price - great value, style and reliability.

Could use 20-40 more ft./lbs of torque. Needs and extra gear (I understand '06 and above have 6spd). Somewhat cheap dash material, leather seats comfortable but low-end materials.

Beefed-up 6
By neobopr

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I purchased my manual '05 a year ago it only had 13k on it (now it has 28k). I immediately added a cold-air intake and swapped in the mazdaspeed springs. I also added a takabe strut tower brace in the spring. What a huge difference! In my opinion, this car is now the complete equal of any of the best BMW 3 or 5 offerings aside from their "M" series--and at a very "non-BMW" price. Everything else is stock including the tires which I will be replacing with Falken ZIEX 512's in the late spring. This car replaced an '88 Porsche 944 which had been a project car. Here is a significant statement, with the alterations to the 6, I do not miss the 944, plus with 4 doors and a trunk!

The interior is incredibly quiet at freeway speeds making the Bose system sound even better. I added the component cassette for my ipod adapter (cheaper and less involved than the specialty ipod add-ons for the Bose system). I've owned a lot of cars, this one is this one is one of the top three!

1/8" input for ipods. Gas mileage improvement to 29 or 30 mpg on highway--probably easily accomplised with a 6th gear on the manual models. Less restrictive stock air intake box. These are minor though compared to how incredibly happy I am with this car after my alterations and compared to BMW's

Mazda6
By Dan O

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle. It is sleek and fun to drive. I have enjoyed it for the 2 years that I have owned it. If you are looking for a nice ride that is functional, than the Mazda6 is for you.

Pick up. Seems this car has some great pick up when needed.

Seats could be a little more comfortable.

M6s
By DSS1000

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car: original & stylish, excellent & spirited handling, high revs, 4 yr/50K warranty. I've owned a Mazda6s 5-door for about two months and so far find it exciting to drive, nice to look at, and very satisfying. Low end torque isn't best, but when engine runs up to 4K RPM, the thrust is invigorating, though may overwhelm some folks. OEM tires will be replaced: marginal in wet conditions, though not worn completely. I wasn't sure about an M6s initially, but owning it changed mind for better. Hatch storage is wagon-like. Great straight-line driving and car hugs road in all curves, no lean, great brakes, and taut ride make it a champ. Not class-leading power but does nice job!

Looks/style, leather, driver's support, high revs/power, wheels, exhaust, autostick 6-speed trans, unique character, USA build and Ford ownership, overall pleasure to drive.

More power, improved low-end torque; reduce mild torque steer; change out weak OEM tires; only driver's side window has auto down, no up; reduce wide turning radius; some interior materials need improvement-plastic console/door trim

• SUV