Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

I love this car and couldn't be happier
By Darlene

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is comfortable for people who are tall and large, plenty of room.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the car - looks sporty without the sports car price. :)

Suggested Improvements

More options to choose from on interior would have been nice. There are only certain colors of interior you can choose with certain colors of cars. My car is the cranberry and I could only get tan interior.

30,000 miles no defects
By dennis manuel

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent value, looks and not one defect or rattle after 30,000 miles. Best mpg was 30.6 US gallon or 36.8 Canadian imperial gallon at 70 mph with air and cruise, 2.3 four with 4 speed auto. 17 inch Michelins worn to wear bars at 24000 miles.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling and ride.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Very solid first car
By D.A.

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently got this as my first "own" car, I'm graduating from college soon, and decided to invest in good, newer car that would last me a while. Bought this one with 11k miles. I was attracted by the styling, and after the test drive, I was hooked. The dual exhaust, rear lights, low-profile tires all look awesome for a car at this price. It drives great on the highway and in the city. The handling is very very good, acceleration smooth, and I haven't had any mechanical issues with it so far. I liked it a lot better than the other cars I tried: Toyota Camry, Suzuki Verona, Pontiac Grand Prix, Pontiac GT. Hondas were all too expensive, so I didn't get to try them. Mazda6 is simply great!

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior looks, red glowing displays, awesome handling, brakes feel really solid, lots of standard features. Clutchless shifting option is cool. Stereo controls on the steering wheel are very practical.

Suggested Improvements

Engine could either be more responsive or eat less gas. I'm getting 22mpg in the city with the 2.3L. Spoiler should be standard on all models. Better quality interior parts (my fuse box cover falls off, I had to tape it on). I also wish that it had a 5-speed automatic, instead of the 4.

Not quite Zoom Zoom...
By datdude

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned my 2005 Mazda6s Sport with 6 speed automatic for about a year. My reason for not giving higher marks in performance and "fun to drive" is due to the poor throttle response - delay when the accelerator is aggressively pushed. This is one of Mazda's early attempts at an electronic throttle (i.e. driver doesn't have a mechanic connection with the throttle; the computer senses the throttle input of the driver's foot and then opens the throttle accordingly). I did take it to the dealership and received the computer software fix which improved the response somewhat; however, the existence of this fix is Mazda's acknowledgment of the problem.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling cool and sporty looking (still); not as big outside as competitors which is good for parking and maneuvering in traffic. Handling great balance between comfort and handling. Brakes are firm and easy to modulate; doesn't grab but can provide short stops. Build quality improved.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the response of the electronic throttle under aggressive driving. A/C doesn't blow cold enough in sunny, hot Southern California; automatic A/C control could be improved. More power but that's coming with the new 2008 Mazda6's larger 3.5L engine. Better fuel economy but it is a V6.

Great Car
By zoomzoom

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. I had the '03 4 cylinder and traded it in for the 05 with a V6 and it makes a world of difference. I liked that car, I love this one. With the V6, traction control, ABS and side airbags it is sporty, fast, safe and I won't get lost in the crowd.

Favorite Features

V6, handling, appearance & dual mode transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius. smoother transmission.