Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

A Great Car for a Great Price
By Tick131

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 at the beginning of this year after an accident left my Honda Civic totaled. I looked at Pontiac G6s, Hyundai Tiburons, Civics, a Lexus and even BMW to replace my beloved Honda. After testing a BMW 325, I discovered a Mazda6 sitting on the lot, intrigued by its designed I took it for a drive, and was blown away. I'd never thought to even look at Mazda, but this had exactly what I wanted: great looks, great equipment (almost fully loaded), great handling & performance, and a value I couldn't pass. The manual is much sloppier than my Civic, but feels like a rocket ship despite its competition's better numbers.

I never tire looking at this car, an amazing blend of usefulness and sportiness. Comfortable, but stable handling. Strong engine and linear torque.

A clean and competent manual transmission, I'd love to see these come with a short-throw 6-speed (which I think would resolve some of the tire grip issues when taking off) and higher quality interior are my only complaints.

A Fun Driving Companion
By Becker

2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this new as my primary car. We'll start with the downs. This car gets horrible mileage for a midsize family sedan. It gets around 17/25. It also is not the quickest in a straight line (a V6 Camry will smoke it). But now the ups. It is a good looker in and out, and has decent space all around. It is also a quality product. It is a great tourer and is comfortable for the long and short haul. But by far the best thing about this car is that it is fun to drive. It is very sporty and carves corners like a pavement scalpel. This car is just a laugh and it's great. It will do standing front drive burnouts all day long,& it will take a racing line around a neighborhood like a pro. It's great!

Fun to drive, comfort, design, decent power, great driving companion - the car equivalent of a good ol' dog, trusty, and tons of fun

More power, horrible fuel economy needs to be addressed with gas prices now around 4 buckaroos, could have more space for rear passengers

Superb Car
By Christy

2005 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third year with this car and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I have not had a single major problem, just usual maintenence. I highly recommend this for a driver looking for a cheap, reliable quality sport sedan.

Design/performance.

More universal radio.

Solid Sports Sedan
By Jpmerrill

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this car after my last one died without considering much else. I always liked the utility of four doors but wanted something sporty and equipped with a 5 or 6 spd, the Mazda seemed like an amazing value and I always admired the looks. The v6 is a solid piece, good for cruising and supplying passing power on the highway but a little weak before 3k RPMS. The manual transmission is a treat and one of the slickest shifting operations I've used. Interior quality is better then what you pay for and the exterior has a fantastic and pleasant appeal. Gas mileage is marginally good, but I did opt for the v6 so any complaint is self inflicted. Overall love the car and the value it offers.

Sporty queues on the exterior and well equipped suspension and drive train to back it up. I'll also admit that I like the way the chrome fuel door looks too and the classy/sporty interior were every number seems to be italicized.

Integrate an MP3 player jack on the audio cluster, a little bit more pep out of the engine without changing displacement, better low end gearing/tuning to get up to speed with out running the engine out in first.

True Grand Touring
By Rick

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my primary business vehicle as a traveling sales manager with a long commute. I purchase a new or almost new car every three years and because of the high mileage and business use I prefer mid-size sedans that don't kill me on depreciation. My 6S satisfies my desire for performance and handling. I opted for the five-speed which I am glad I did because the engine is a bit weak until 2500 rpm then revs smoothly and quickly. Great cruiser, reliable, fun and 23-27 mpg

Bose system is awesome. Great controls and ergonomics. Great handling, w/on-center steering at highway+ speeds. Nice equip. for price - great value, style and reliability.

Could use 20-40 more ft./lbs of torque. Needs and extra gear (I understand '06 and above have 6spd). Somewhat cheap dash material, leather seats comfortable but low-end materials.