Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 207 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

I think I got a lemon?
By harleyhoney

2005 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 6 brand new, I thought it looked really cool, I owned it til 6/2008, I only had about 25K on it... things were always wrong with it, first thing my headlights kept burning out I went thru 4 sets of bulbs over a 1 yr time frame next the transmission would shift randomly, and clunk all the time, dealership said nothing was wrong with it. Blew out vacuum hoses, brakes went out, battery was shot after 1 yr, there were many other things. The seats were hard as a rock, it was not safe on ice, handled very badly always got stuck in the snow, traction control (what a joke) the dash scratched so easily. I was not very happy with this car, I was so happy to trade it in.

Very sporty looking, decent stereo (yet I replaced with aftermarket), good gas mileage, great torque for passing, dash color

Needs more leg and head room, I'm 6ft tall and hit my head everyday on the pillar, if was difficult to have passengers, softer seats, separate the stereo from the heat (they did in 06 model), fix the wide steering prob

Single foot seeks pedal to mash...
By Twitch

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mistakenly bought this car for my wife, and wished I'd given her my car and kept this one for myself instead! This is truly a driver's car. Bose system makes your ears dance. I found myself out in the garage more than once just listening to a new cd. Honest. And once you back it out of the garage, let the fun begin! Ford Duratec V6 has a nice exhaust note when pushed. The platform/suspension sometimes feels like it was designed for the lighter 4-cyl, but the V6 will pin your ears back if you hit your corners at mid-range rpm! 6-speed transmission geared a bit odd between 1st and 2nd, but sweet between 5th and 6th on road trips. And 3rd/4th gears make you over-eager to pass anyone.

The Bose system will make you cry when you finally have to sell it. Finely-tuned suspension + low-profile (aka expensive) grippy tires + a platform designed to have a low center of gravity = cornering like a rockstar on the red carpet. Thankfully the seats have decent bolstering to hold you in!!

The sport seats, suspension and low-profile tires that make you feel like a sports-car genius when you're zooming around town; but are the same features that make some a bit irritable on road trips. Also, cold weather encouraged the Ford V6 to burn oil (2 liters?), but my 2000 Honda never did that.

A Great Car for a Great Price
By Tick131

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 at the beginning of this year after an accident left my Honda Civic totaled. I looked at Pontiac G6s, Hyundai Tiburons, Civics, a Lexus and even BMW to replace my beloved Honda. After testing a BMW 325, I discovered a Mazda6 sitting on the lot, intrigued by its designed I took it for a drive, and was blown away. I'd never thought to even look at Mazda, but this had exactly what I wanted: great looks, great equipment (almost fully loaded), great handling & performance, and a value I couldn't pass. The manual is much sloppier than my Civic, but feels like a rocket ship despite its competition's better numbers.

I never tire looking at this car, an amazing blend of usefulness and sportiness. Comfortable, but stable handling. Strong engine and linear torque.

A clean and competent manual transmission, I'd love to see these come with a short-throw 6-speed (which I think would resolve some of the tire grip issues when taking off) and higher quality interior are my only complaints.

A Fun Driving Companion
By Becker

2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this new as my primary car. We'll start with the downs. This car gets horrible mileage for a midsize family sedan. It gets around 17/25. It also is not the quickest in a straight line (a V6 Camry will smoke it). But now the ups. It is a good looker in and out, and has decent space all around. It is also a quality product. It is a great tourer and is comfortable for the long and short haul. But by far the best thing about this car is that it is fun to drive. It is very sporty and carves corners like a pavement scalpel. This car is just a laugh and it's great. It will do standing front drive burnouts all day long,& it will take a racing line around a neighborhood like a pro. It's great!

Fun to drive, comfort, design, decent power, great driving companion - the car equivalent of a good ol' dog, trusty, and tons of fun

More power, horrible fuel economy needs to be addressed with gas prices now around 4 buckaroos, could have more space for rear passengers

Superb Car
By Christy

2005 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third year with this car and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I have not had a single major problem, just usual maintenence. I highly recommend this for a driver looking for a cheap, reliable quality sport sedan.

Design/performance.