Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Good car for the money
By ddcast1

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for work. I drive a lot and needed something good on gas and not to expensive. So far I am happy with it. I have put 10000 miles on it and only have one complaint. The transmission doesn't shift properly all the time. Doesn't happen enough for concern and the dealer said they couldn't find a problem. The ride is nice and it looks great.

Favorite Features

MPG, styling, controls on the steering wheel, and driver comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission isn't the best, a bit more power even for a 4 cylinder.

*Please Read*
By Rman

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased the car a little over 5 months ago. Within the 5 months, 3 headlight bulbs burnt out, license plate light burnt out, needed to do tcm and pcm reprogram, replaced both front brake lines, replaced both front axle boots and cv joints, cigarette lighter blows every fuse you put in, both front and back brake pads were replaced, display clock flickers. I am being a truthful person here. Do not always rely on reviews. This one is getting sold or traded in.

Favorite Features

The look.

Suggested Improvements

More power for the 4cyl. Little better quality interior fabric. Overall build quality.

I think I got a lemon?
By harleyhoney

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 6 brand new, I thought it looked really cool, I owned it til 6/2008, I only had about 25K on it... things were always wrong with it, first thing my headlights kept burning out I went thru 4 sets of bulbs over a 1 yr time frame next the transmission would shift randomly, and clunk all the time, dealership said nothing was wrong with it. Blew out vacuum hoses, brakes went out, battery was shot after 1 yr, there were many other things. The seats were hard as a rock, it was not safe on ice, handled very badly always got stuck in the snow, traction control (what a joke) the dash scratched so easily. I was not very happy with this car, I was so happy to trade it in.

Favorite Features

Very sporty looking, decent stereo (yet I replaced with aftermarket), good gas mileage, great torque for passing, dash color

Suggested Improvements

Needs more leg and head room, I'm 6ft tall and hit my head everyday on the pillar, if was difficult to have passengers, softer seats, separate the stereo from the heat (they did in 06 model), fix the wide steering prob

Single foot seeks pedal to mash...
By Twitch

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mistakenly bought this car for my wife, and wished I'd given her my car and kept this one for myself instead! This is truly a driver's car. Bose system makes your ears dance. I found myself out in the garage more than once just listening to a new cd. Honest. And once you back it out of the garage, let the fun begin! Ford Duratec V6 has a nice exhaust note when pushed. The platform/suspension sometimes feels like it was designed for the lighter 4-cyl, but the V6 will pin your ears back if you hit your corners at mid-range rpm! 6-speed transmission geared a bit odd between 1st and 2nd, but sweet between 5th and 6th on road trips. And 3rd/4th gears make you over-eager to pass anyone.

Favorite Features

The Bose system will make you cry when you finally have to sell it. Finely-tuned suspension + low-profile (aka expensive) grippy tires + a platform designed to have a low center of gravity = cornering like a rockstar on the red carpet. Thankfully the seats have decent bolstering to hold you in!!

Suggested Improvements

The sport seats, suspension and low-profile tires that make you feel like a sports-car genius when you're zooming around town; but are the same features that make some a bit irritable on road trips. Also, cold weather encouraged the Ford V6 to burn oil (2 liters?), but my 2000 Honda never did that.

A Great Car for a Great Price
By Tick131

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 at the beginning of this year after an accident left my Honda Civic totaled. I looked at Pontiac G6s, Hyundai Tiburons, Civics, a Lexus and even BMW to replace my beloved Honda. After testing a BMW 325, I discovered a Mazda6 sitting on the lot, intrigued by its designed I took it for a drive, and was blown away. I'd never thought to even look at Mazda, but this had exactly what I wanted: great looks, great equipment (almost fully loaded), great handling & performance, and a value I couldn't pass. The manual is much sloppier than my Civic, but feels like a rocket ship despite its competition's better numbers.

Favorite Features

I never tire looking at this car, an amazing blend of usefulness and sportiness. Comfortable, but stable handling. Strong engine and linear torque.

Suggested Improvements

A clean and competent manual transmission, I'd love to see these come with a short-throw 6-speed (which I think would resolve some of the tire grip issues when taking off) and higher quality interior are my only complaints.