2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
I love this car and couldn't be happier
By Darlene on 09/12/06 09:03 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is comfortable for people who are tall and large, plenty of room.

30,000 miles no defects
By dennis manuel on 09/10/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent value, looks and not one defect or rattle after 30,000 miles. Best mpg was 30.6 US gallon or 36.8 Canadian imperial gallon at 70 mph with air and cruise, 2.3 four with 4 speed auto. 17 inch Michelins worn to wear bars at 24000 miles.

Move over Mercedes
By Freddy on 09/04/06 20:13 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car to replace a 320 Mercedes wagon. With 50% better gas mileage, more power, a better sound system, and an interior with real leather to boot, I'll never go back to Mercedes! Oh, did I say at half the price? I have read several reviews of this car, and they are off base when discussing the V6 powerplant. This thing rocks on the highway with the 6 speed automatic. Beware however that this car is hard to equip for towing, despite what my dealer promised me.

Very solid first car
By D.A. on 08/18/06 12:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I recently got this as my first "own" car, I'm graduating from college soon, and decided to invest in good, newer car that would last me a while. Bought this one with 11k miles. I was attracted by the styling, and after the test drive, I was hooked. The dual exhaust, rear lights, low-profile tires all look awesome for a car at this price. It drives great on the highway and in the city. The handling is very very good, acceleration smooth, and I haven't had any mechanical issues with it so far. I liked it a lot better than the other cars I tried: Toyota Camry, Suzuki Verona, Pontiac Grand Prix, Pontiac GT. Hondas were all too expensive, so I didn't get to try them. Mazda6 is simply great!

Not quite Zoom Zoom...
By datdude on 08/13/06 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned my 2005 Mazda6s Sport with 6 speed automatic for about a year. My reason for not giving higher marks in performance and "fun to drive" is due to the poor throttle response - delay when the accelerator is aggressively pushed. This is one of Mazda's early attempts at an electronic throttle (i.e. driver doesn't have a mechanic connection with the throttle; the computer senses the throttle input of the driver's foot and then opens the throttle accordingly). I did take it to the dealership and received the computer software fix which improved the response somewhat; however, the existence of this fix is Mazda's acknowledgment of the problem.

Great Car
By zoomzoom on 08/07/06 15:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car. I had the '03 4 cylinder and traded it in for the 05 with a V6 and it makes a world of difference. I liked that car, I love this one. With the V6, traction control, ABS and side airbags it is sporty, fast, safe and I won't get lost in the crowd.

Zoom Zoom Ping Knock Clunk
By Stuart Summers on 07/05/06 15:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Poor performance and reliability. New 6 speed constantly needs to be recalibrated. Ticking noise from valves requires valves to be retorqued. Throttle assembly went out, and now there is a knocking noise coming from the engine between 700 and 1200 rpm. Not a purge control solenoid as told by dealer and manufacturer. Let the buyer beware.

Mazda Sport 6 05
By 4 dr sport sedan on 06/25/06 19:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It has a lot of pep when you need to get into traffic or getting on the interstate. It's fun to drive.

A Sports Car for the Family
By Brendan M. on 06/22/06 07:26 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

With more than 27k miles now, my mpg continues to increase. No matter how hard I beat the car, it still returns 28 to 29 mpg. I do agree that low end torque is a little lacking, but this thing loves to rev. Plus, keeping the tach between 2500 and 4500rpm does not effect mpg at all. I can't say enough good things about this car.

Great Car For The Money
By T W on 05/24/06 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car drives and handles very Honda like. Great fit and finish for a car in this class. The clutch is a little too grabby while shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear when car is cold. If not careful (under emergency acceleration), the clutch will give off a burning smell (probably needs to be made of a better/harder material). My local dealership has had a couple of complaints on this same issue. It just may be a Mazda thing. Other than that, wish it had at least 15 more horses, and more space for "do it yourselfers" to change the bulbs in the headlight assembly. After the warranty is over, no more free bulb replacements!