Used 2005 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Superb Car
By Christy

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my third year with this car and it hasn't disappointed me yet. I have not had a single major problem, just usual maintenence. I highly recommend this for a driver looking for a cheap, reliable quality sport sedan.

Favorite Features

Design/performance.

Suggested Improvements

More universal radio.

Solid Sports Sedan
By Jpmerrill

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this car after my last one died without considering much else. I always liked the utility of four doors but wanted something sporty and equipped with a 5 or 6 spd, the Mazda seemed like an amazing value and I always admired the looks. The v6 is a solid piece, good for cruising and supplying passing power on the highway but a little weak before 3k RPMS. The manual transmission is a treat and one of the slickest shifting operations I've used. Interior quality is better then what you pay for and the exterior has a fantastic and pleasant appeal. Gas mileage is marginally good, but I did opt for the v6 so any complaint is self inflicted. Overall love the car and the value it offers.

Favorite Features

Sporty queues on the exterior and well equipped suspension and drive train to back it up. I'll also admit that I like the way the chrome fuel door looks too and the classy/sporty interior were every number seems to be italicized.

Suggested Improvements

Integrate an MP3 player jack on the audio cluster, a little bit more pep out of the engine without changing displacement, better low end gearing/tuning to get up to speed with out running the engine out in first.

True Grand Touring
By Rick

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my primary business vehicle as a traveling sales manager with a long commute. I purchase a new or almost new car every three years and because of the high mileage and business use I prefer mid-size sedans that don't kill me on depreciation. My 6S satisfies my desire for performance and handling. I opted for the five-speed which I am glad I did because the engine is a bit weak until 2500 rpm then revs smoothly and quickly. Great cruiser, reliable, fun and 23-27 mpg

Favorite Features

Bose system is awesome. Great controls and ergonomics. Great handling, w/on-center steering at highway+ speeds. Nice equip. for price - great value, style and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Could use 20-40 more ft./lbs of torque. Needs and extra gear (I understand '06 and above have 6spd). Somewhat cheap dash material, leather seats comfortable but low-end materials.

Beefed-up 6
By neobopr

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I purchased my manual '05 a year ago it only had 13k on it (now it has 28k). I immediately added a cold-air intake and swapped in the mazdaspeed springs. I also added a takabe strut tower brace in the spring. What a huge difference! In my opinion, this car is now the complete equal of any of the best BMW 3 or 5 offerings aside from their "M" series--and at a very "non-BMW" price. Everything else is stock including the tires which I will be replacing with Falken ZIEX 512's in the late spring. This car replaced an '88 Porsche 944 which had been a project car. Here is a significant statement, with the alterations to the 6, I do not miss the 944, plus with 4 doors and a trunk!

Favorite Features

The interior is incredibly quiet at freeway speeds making the Bose system sound even better. I added the component cassette for my ipod adapter (cheaper and less involved than the specialty ipod add-ons for the Bose system). I've owned a lot of cars, this one is this one is one of the top three!

Suggested Improvements

1/8" input for ipods. Gas mileage improvement to 29 or 30 mpg on highway--probably easily accomplised with a 6th gear on the manual models. Less restrictive stock air intake box. These are minor though compared to how incredibly happy I am with this car after my alterations and compared to BMW's

Highly recommended
By zoom

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2005 Mazda 6i sport in August 2005, brand new. Got a great deal on it, and have not regretted it once. I wanted one because of its sporty handling/appearance. I drove an Accord and was bored, then I drove the 6 and I drove it home the next day. I can't wait to see what the 2008 is going to be like. Hopefully at least as sports car like as the curent model. Love it and will buy another.

Favorite Features

Ride/handling. Sound system. Gauges. Just love the overall feel of the car, whether driving on a highway or twisty back roads, can't be beat for the money.

Suggested Improvements

More engine power is always a good things, but no complaints from me.