Used 2005 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Mazda6s
By Mike

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After a year of ownership, I traded it in for an '06 MX-5. I wanted to love this car, but only liked it. Interior rattles started after a few thousand miles. I've tried to like FWD cars, but still hate them, even after this car. The engine is powerful, but you don't feel it until you reach higher revs. Comfort and space are fine. Interior's a bit cheap - too much plastic, hard leather. Great interior storage areas. Long-throw shifter doesn't inspire. Poor pedal placement, which makes heel and toe driving very difficult. It got me around for a year. But I sensed too much Ford influence in the (lack of) build quality. With that said, cost/performance is a relative bargain.

Favorite Features

Great bang for the buck - 220HP V6. Exterior appearance. Reliability (only 12,000 miles driven, but no problems in that time). Unique appearance among a sea of Accords and Camrys.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality - interior rattles abound after a few thousand miles. Horrible turning radius. Long-throw shifter. FWD torque and understeer. Vague throttle response. Body panel gaps seem a bit large. Bose stereo lacks fidelity (what a surprise). Poor paint quality. Poor fuel economy.

Best wagon on the market
By zop

2005 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car handles like a luxury sedan. Slice through corners and accelerates like a champ. I bought this car for my wife, but it is so much fun to drive that we battle for the keys. Great family car for those who don't like minivans and like to ride in style.

Favorite Features

Design, performance, handling. Comes standard with some of the most advanced safety features. Lots of cargo space. Solid build. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage (not bad though for a v6/220hp vehicle).

As Good as The Best
By jim

2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been looking for an entry level luxury car for several months. My problem is that every time I test drive an Acura TL, Infinity G35, BMWi, I get back into my Mazda and say "big deal". My two year old Mazda drives just as good as the luxury cars and after two years it still drives as quiet and firm as the day I bought it. The only exception has been the Lexus 330, but this car is deliberately not billed as a sports sedan so it does have a quieter and softer ride. P.S. The exterior styling of the Mazda it still as good as any of the luxury sports sedans.

Favorite Features

Good price, enough horsepower, easy to use controls, great trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Take on the big boys with a bigger engine, and more luxurious interior. Change the interior lighting to the Acura soft light style. And don't forget Bluetooth technology.

Mazda6 - from a teenage perspective.
By new driver

2005 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

The lesson car I learned to drive in was a Toyota Corolla, with extra brakes that the instructor could use. Nothing too special. The first time I got behind the wheel of my new Mazda6, I was in awe. It's fun to drive, with an enthusiastic acceleration. The maneuverability is great too. This car has a lot of personality; it's eager to please, and craves speed.

Favorite Features

Maneuverability, fun exterior design, comfortable interior, lots of trunk space, lots of interior compartments.

Suggested Improvements

More seatbelt adjustments would be nice (I'm small, so the seatbelt is always in my way).

excellent car so far at 3000 miles
By John

2005 Mazda 6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Sporty yet sophisticated enough for that 25-35 age range. Great interior room in front seat, back seat, and trunk (in the hatchback). Gas mileage is good, I get about 32 hwy and 25 city with the 5 speed 4 cylinder hatchback. Loaded with safety features (side curtains included). 4 year 50k warranty instead of normal 3 year 36K.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo system is phenomenal. The silver front dash is sleek and stylish. Armrest has two compartments with additional outlet. Great standard tires. There are 2 cupholders in the front of armrest as well as one on each front seat door. 2 more for the back seat. Front and back interior lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Moonroof needs the one touch open/close button. Hatchback is heavy to close. Gas tank release is in an awkward space along driver door, my foot sometimes gets caught on it getting out and opens the tank door by accident.