Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Sue's car
By Jim Sarver

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Engine is a little soft off the line. Need refinement. Needs lots of gas to get going from a stop for good speeds. Highway passing requires a greater distance than my other cars. Smaller than I would like. Otherwise, it is a pleasant little car.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage and nice design.

Suggested Improvements

More modern engine with power, say about 250HP, better materials for the interior.

Something different in this segment
By byronape

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

Favorite Features

Leather is nice, but requires some additional upkeep. Sunroof is great. Hatchback makes it very useful for hauling but it still looks like a sporty sedan. Big enough in the back for 4 people as long as the people in the back are not over 6 feet and don't have long legs. Handles great with decent tires, even with a little more body roll than I'd like. Of course, the body roll could just be due to the age\ mileage. The 6-disk CD changer is a nice touch, but I think you have to get the Bose system to get it so it's a bit of a trade off.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little late now since it's been redesigned, but the factory Bose system is not worth it as long as you can get the wheel mounted controls without it. Otherwise, plan on swapping out the amp\sub\speakers if you are an audiophile like me. Also, when the back seat is down, you can hear a lot of rattles and creaks. It isn't overpowering, but it is annoying when the radio is low and you are trying to have a conversation. Otherwise, a little volume on the radio will drown it out completely.

Fun family car
By a3photogod

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

After looking at a G6 and a Passat, the Mazda6 was the way to go. Sporty looks and handling, this car just wants to go zoom-zoom. This is a great value; side airbags, traction, ABS, all for around 22K. Plenty of room for the family. The hatchback opens up for more than enough room (only 10 cubic feet less than my Sorento). Solid feel, sticks to the road. Great profile. The Blazing Copper is hot, many compliments and catching people looking in and around the car. We are very pleased with this purchase. Keeps us 30 somethings feeling youthful, especially with kids. Great all around car; you must consider this highly when shopping for a mid-size sedan.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, Bose sound, Hatchback for storage, low profile tires for handling, the "zoom zoom" factor.

Suggested Improvements

Power passenger seat, TURBO would be sweeeet.

You can't go wrong with this car! FUN
By Fortunato

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car a couple weeks ago from the Toyota dealership I work for; it was a trade-in. As soon as i saw the car, i fell in love (I've been a mazda fan my whole life). I used to have a 03 Protege5 5spd, which i think is the best car Mazda has made. This car gets the job done with a fun flare. With the ferrari red exterior, it certainly brakes necks. It's not the quickest but it is definatly fun to drive. Very comfortable and versitile, going to and from work and taking it out with your friends at night, its just a very fun drive. Definatly recomend it!

Favorite Features

Ferrari red exterior, great styling, low maintenance costs, VERY smooth ride, LOTS of cargo space and very roomy all around

Suggested Improvements

The tranny tends to shift late in reverse

Moderte
By Contessa Baird

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a lot of fun for me, but I feel it is not fully insulated and creates a lot of background noise.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to sit in, fairly reliable. The vehicle made a nonstop 4,000 mile trip with out any complications. Gives a sporty feel which is enjoyable.

Suggested Improvements

INTERIOOOORRR, everything breaks. The fact that most of the plastic in the car finds a way to break or crack is disappointing. Like the Man-box above the stereo and the sun visor clip. When hitting bumps during a drive the cd player will glitch. My Thermostat went bad @ around the 100,000 mile marker, $360 fix. I feel Mazda cheeped out on the much needed detail this car needs. But I still love her.