Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

2005 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon Review
By tfrancl

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the car 4 years ago with 40K miles and currently have 82K miles. This has been an excellent car. While it is a station wagon it drives and handles very well, more like a sports sedan. The V-6 and six speed auto is a very good combination of performance and mileage. It also has a very good Bose aduio system. The heater, heated seats and AC all preform well. We have not had any maintenace issues other than the standard upkeep of tires, brakes, etc.

Favorite Features

Contrary to some reviews, unless you are drag racing Mustangs and Camareos this car has ample acceleration. It also gets good gas mileage, 20-22 mpg around town and 27-30 mpg, on the highway at full+ Interstate speeds. I do use the recommended 5-W20 synthetic engine oil and keep the tires inflated to 35 psi. An outstand feature of this car is the six-speed automatic transmission, a big reason for the above. This transmission is always in the right gear, either accelerating or decelerating. We live near the CO mountains and this car is a hoot to drive on mountain roads. When you are going downhill you just touch the brake and the transmission shifts down to the next lower gear.

Suggested Improvements

I have been driving for over 50 years and owned over a dozen familly type cars plus a couple of sports cars. Frankly, I do not know what more you could ask from a mid-sized station wagon in particular or a family car in general. I plan to put 150K miles before I even start to consider a trade-in and may even go 200K. I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it.

Terrific sport wagon
By Rrrockhound

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've always had a soft spot for Euro-style sport wagons, but Audis and Volvos were out of my price range, and forget about BMW and Mercedes. But I discovered the Mazda6 had sleek looks, strong performance, and truly sporty handling. The engine is buttery smooth and I recently got 28 MPG on the highway, not bad for 70+ MPH with the air on. The steering response is truly sports-car like and the brakes are strong, so much so that I'm considering taking this car to the track instead of my Porsche. With premium audio, multiple airbags, and auto climate control, the feel is like driving a luxury car, and I get compliments on the sporty looks.

Favorite Features

Smooth, powerful V6; smooth automatic transmission with manual mode; Bose audio system; automatic climate control; overall interior design; exterior styling; overall level of equipment, handling, steering, and brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest padding could be better. Sporty styling means the hatch opening is a little tight, so some large items that fit in other wagons might not squeeze into this one. The cloth upholstery is a lint magnet and shows water spots; the leather would have been better.

05 GT wagon
By payson

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Traded in our 00 Sienna van. My husband and I both enjoy driving it. Sporty, fun to drive, good cargo room for family. Nice alternative to an SUV.

Move over Mercedes
By Freddy

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car to replace a 320 Mercedes wagon. With 50% better gas mileage, more power, a better sound system, and an interior with real leather to boot, I'll never go back to Mercedes! Oh, did I say at half the price? I have read several reviews of this car, and they are off base when discussing the V6 powerplant. This thing rocks on the highway with the 6 speed automatic. Beware however that this car is hard to equip for towing, despite what my dealer promised me.

Favorite Features

Drivetrain.

Suggested Improvements

Factory wiring harness for towing would be appreciated.

They're still doing it.
By JerryL

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my third Mazda in a row and each new one gets me to love them even more. Dependable, comfortable and great to look at. I don't understand why Mazda doesn't sell more cars in the US than they do now.

Favorite Features

Auto temp air conditioner controls and display. Easy to use and adjust.