Used 2005 Mazda 6 s Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Can I buy another, please?
By a_mightywind

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've found this to be a terrific car. It's not your typical stodgy wagon. It is fun to drive, the interior fittings are excellent as is the build quality. I still love the aggressive exterior styling. They're not being offered in Canada anymore but, I'm told, they are being offered in Europe. I hope that situation changes because I would be another for sure.

Favorite Features

Attention to detail in the interior. It's a very well fitted out and it's designed to enhance the driving experience. Controls fall easily to hand. The tilting and telescoping wheel makes fine tuning ones' driving position easy. I know it sounds trite but I do like the serious cupholders. The red lit dash does not interfere with night vision. Exterior styling. Who says a wagon has to be boring? Not Mazda, thank goodness.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch is too frail. Needs to last more than 70,000 km. I'm now on my 3rd clutch and it's an expensive replacement (~C$1,800). I live in hilly terrain with congested roads so I suspect that's part of the problem. Radio reception is poor. Needs a little more oomph. Original starter failed early. Dealer recommended 3rd party replacement which is not working well. Next service I will insist on OEM replacement.

Great Value Sport Wagon
By gareman

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned some amazing cars, mostly BMWs, but I was starting my own business and a family. The 6 sport wagon provided sport sedan handling in an affordable, reliable package. It had some minor problems while still under warranty, such as needing two new stereo head units, but has since been reliable. It drives wonderfully and I love the 5 speed manual. The turning radius is awful. Low RPM acceleration is pretty bad; there wasn't a need to gear it like a 4- cylinder. It's a fun highway cruiser and obviously does very well on corners. The quality of your tires will make a huge difference with this car. Sadly, there are no more sport wagons being produced by Mazda in the US.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, reasonable performance and economy. A good overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Euro wagon to the US, preferably with the diesel. Poor turning radius. Poor power at low RPM.

Wagon master
By keeper

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this new; the gas mileage was rated 21-27 and it took a year to reach that. On our last trip of 1000 miles we got from 25-30 which I thought was outstanding. It's fun to drive, corners nicely and has good brakes. The only problem I've had is the air conditioner had to be worked on twice to get the proper cooling. Love the automatic climate control. Wish it had come with roof racks for my bike. Electric control for seats would have been great also, but it's a good vehicle. Love the side air bags and safety features. It would be hard for a tall person to get in with a hat on.

Favorite Features

Looks and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Should have electric seat controls and roof rack standard and better lumbar support.

2005 6Wagon
By Gary

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

So far my Mazda6 Wagon has been a blast to drive. The sportshift auto keeps it interesting. It's been on three long trips (3 dogs-in back, bikes on roof, luggage on rear seats). Despite the seeming clutter of all that, it was surprisingly comfortable. Plenty of leg and headroom. On another trip, I had four bikes on the roof, all the gear in the back and 3 passengers beside myself. There was still plenty of room. The car is built solid...no rattles. The engine has plenty of power and is smooth (with the traction control turned off). The only problem, and it's small, is the ticking noise (not the cams) just behind the passenger-side firewall. It's a solenoid that Mazda won't repair.

Favorite Features

Loads of interior space. Strong engine. Solid ride. Excellent handling.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade the quality of the cloth interior. Integrate an MP3 connector on future models.

Great Wagon with Sports Car Feel
By MN Snowman

2005 Mazda 6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my '02 Passat for the wagon ... that lets my wife drive a sedan rather than her Volvo wagon. I was impressed with the interior design/colors and the exterior color (I have the Firemist red with tan interior ... looks very sharp and I've gotten a number of favorable comments). I've liked the responsiveness of the engine and the manual transmission is very nice. We've taken two longer road trips (one at 2200 miles and the other at 1200 miles) -- it's a very comfortable highway car. The Sirius radio option is a delight on highway cruises as well. Around town, it gets decent mileage and handles well. I'm pleased with the purchase & the end-of-year discounts!

Favorite Features

Good pickup and go and very nice handling. Nice interior design -- the tan leather and dark dash with titanium-styled inserts look good. I especially liked the electroluminescent gauges. Great HVAC controls and radio design plus the steering wheel controls are very helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Trip computer would be nice. Remote release for tailgate would also be a nice touch. One switch for sunroof (now there are 2 switches: one to pop up and another to roll back.