Used 2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

Can I buy another, please?
By a_mightywind

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've found this to be a terrific car. It's not your typical stodgy wagon. It is fun to drive, the interior fittings are excellent as is the build quality. I still love the aggressive exterior styling. They're not being offered in Canada anymore but, I'm told, they are being offered in Europe. I hope that situation changes because I would be another for sure.

Favorite Features

Attention to detail in the interior. It's a very well fitted out and it's designed to enhance the driving experience. Controls fall easily to hand. The tilting and telescoping wheel makes fine tuning ones' driving position easy. I know it sounds trite but I do like the serious cupholders. The red lit dash does not interfere with night vision. Exterior styling. Who says a wagon has to be boring? Not Mazda, thank goodness.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch is too frail. Needs to last more than 70,000 km. I'm now on my 3rd clutch and it's an expensive replacement (~C$1,800). I live in hilly terrain with congested roads so I suspect that's part of the problem. Radio reception is poor. Needs a little more oomph. Original starter failed early. Dealer recommended 3rd party replacement which is not working well. Next service I will insist on OEM replacement.

2005 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon Review
By tfrancl

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the car 4 years ago with 40K miles and currently have 82K miles. This has been an excellent car. While it is a station wagon it drives and handles very well, more like a sports sedan. The V-6 and six speed auto is a very good combination of performance and mileage. It also has a very good Bose aduio system. The heater, heated seats and AC all preform well. We have not had any maintenace issues other than the standard upkeep of tires, brakes, etc.

Favorite Features

Contrary to some reviews, unless you are drag racing Mustangs and Camareos this car has ample acceleration. It also gets good gas mileage, 20-22 mpg around town and 27-30 mpg, on the highway at full+ Interstate speeds. I do use the recommended 5-W20 synthetic engine oil and keep the tires inflated to 35 psi. An outstand feature of this car is the six-speed automatic transmission, a big reason for the above. This transmission is always in the right gear, either accelerating or decelerating. We live near the CO mountains and this car is a hoot to drive on mountain roads. When you are going downhill you just touch the brake and the transmission shifts down to the next lower gear.

Suggested Improvements

I have been driving for over 50 years and owned over a dozen familly type cars plus a couple of sports cars. Frankly, I do not know what more you could ask from a mid-sized station wagon in particular or a family car in general. I plan to put 150K miles before I even start to consider a trade-in and may even go 200K. I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it.

Great Value Sport Wagon
By gareman

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned some amazing cars, mostly BMWs, but I was starting my own business and a family. The 6 sport wagon provided sport sedan handling in an affordable, reliable package. It had some minor problems while still under warranty, such as needing two new stereo head units, but has since been reliable. It drives wonderfully and I love the 5 speed manual. The turning radius is awful. Low RPM acceleration is pretty bad; there wasn't a need to gear it like a 4- cylinder. It's a fun highway cruiser and obviously does very well on corners. The quality of your tires will make a huge difference with this car. Sadly, there are no more sport wagons being produced by Mazda in the US.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, reasonable performance and economy. A good overall value.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the Euro wagon to the US, preferably with the diesel. Poor turning radius. Poor power at low RPM.

Terrific sport wagon
By Rrrockhound

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I've always had a soft spot for Euro-style sport wagons, but Audis and Volvos were out of my price range, and forget about BMW and Mercedes. But I discovered the Mazda6 had sleek looks, strong performance, and truly sporty handling. The engine is buttery smooth and I recently got 28 MPG on the highway, not bad for 70+ MPH with the air on. The steering response is truly sports-car like and the brakes are strong, so much so that I'm considering taking this car to the track instead of my Porsche. With premium audio, multiple airbags, and auto climate control, the feel is like driving a luxury car, and I get compliments on the sporty looks.

Favorite Features

Smooth, powerful V6; smooth automatic transmission with manual mode; Bose audio system; automatic climate control; overall interior design; exterior styling; overall level of equipment, handling, steering, and brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest padding could be better. Sporty styling means the hatch opening is a little tight, so some large items that fit in other wagons might not squeeze into this one. The cloth upholstery is a lint magnet and shows water spots; the leather would have been better.

Wagon master
By keeper

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this new; the gas mileage was rated 21-27 and it took a year to reach that. On our last trip of 1000 miles we got from 25-30 which I thought was outstanding. It's fun to drive, corners nicely and has good brakes. The only problem I've had is the air conditioner had to be worked on twice to get the proper cooling. Love the automatic climate control. Wish it had come with roof racks for my bike. Electric control for seats would have been great also, but it's a good vehicle. Love the side air bags and safety features. It would be hard for a tall person to get in with a hat on.

Favorite Features

Looks and acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Should have electric seat controls and roof rack standard and better lumbar support.