Used 2005 Mazda 6 s Grand Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

True Zoom
By sydtron

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Going into my fifth year (at 92000 miles) with my 2005 Mazda6S GT, I'm still enjoying the driver oriented experience baked into this car from day one. Only reliability issues I've encountered are the headlights burning out and a strut bearing causing noise. Otherwise, taking good care to replace general maintenance items has kept the car in good working condition, and I don't baby the car. The relationship between driver and car, in regards to seating position, steering, throttle, and general feel is fantastic. Refinement could be better (2006+ models are noticeably more refined), but I enjoy this car every time I drive it. New sport shocks, springs, and larger rear sway added.

Favorite Features

Steering - Could have a little less slack, but the information on what the tires are doing makes hard driving easy and fun. Feels like a sports car. Transmission - While the 6-speed Aisin automatic is not buttery smooth (especially when cold) like newer automatics, it is well geared for the engine, holds revs to fuel cutoff, and for the most part is very direct and connected. Chassis - While lacking refinement, the car simply transmits plenty of what it is doing to the driver through the seat and wheel, enabling you to take advantage of the very sporty nature of the cars suspension. Interior - Mine has held up well, is functional and looks sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Engine - V6 is strong and smooth when revved out (also fun and sounds great), but could use more low end torque. Weather - The car is fun to drive, but its quick responses can make driving in the snow and rain difficult. Solved this by just having excellent tires; Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer, Bridgestone Blizzack WS-70 for winter. Shocks - My car, not sure if all '05 6's, needed better shock damping. I replaced the stockers with Koni FSD dampers, huge difference. 2006+ models felt better than the 05 stock. A/C - Could be stronger. Going to replace coolant after winter, will reevaluate then. Refinement - A bit of road noise, and more suspension noise than I'd like.

Love my Mazda 6 (5-Door Hatchback)
By sdanthny

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 in early 2006 and still own it. It's paid off, has been without warranty for 2 years and I have not had any problems with the car warranting me to shell out money to get it fixed (besides regular maintenance of course). Luckily for me, any of the problems I have had with the car were rectified when I still had a warranty. Needless to say, I have 60k miles, 80% life on my brakes left (changed in '08 due to a caliper flaw) and the car purrs like it did brand new. I must say the car does NOT sound like a 6 yr old car. It still is flashy on the road (bright red) and is a blast to drive on the freeway flying by everyone else in their mundane vehicles. Hell yeah to Mazda!

Favorite Features

Styling, performance/great mid-range gearing, reliability, quality interior materials, and functionality of the 5-door.

Suggested Improvements

Small tank and thirsty V6 engine (20-27 mpg mixed driving), manual drivers side lumbar support mechanism is weak, wide turning circle

A Fun Driving Companion
By Becker

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this new as my primary car. We'll start with the downs. This car gets horrible mileage for a midsize family sedan. It gets around 17/25. It also is not the quickest in a straight line (a V6 Camry will smoke it). But now the ups. It is a good looker in and out, and has decent space all around. It is also a quality product. It is a great tourer and is comfortable for the long and short haul. But by far the best thing about this car is that it is fun to drive. It is very sporty and carves corners like a pavement scalpel. This car is just a laugh and it's great. It will do standing front drive burnouts all day long,& it will take a racing line around a neighborhood like a pro. It's great!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, comfort, design, decent power, great driving companion - the car equivalent of a good ol' dog, trusty, and tons of fun

Suggested Improvements

More power, horrible fuel economy needs to be addressed with gas prices now around 4 buckaroos, could have more space for rear passengers

Zoom Zoom Ping Knock Clunk
By Stuart Summers

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Poor performance and reliability. New 6 speed constantly needs to be recalibrated. Ticking noise from valves requires valves to be retorqued. Throttle assembly went out, and now there is a knocking noise coming from the engine between 700 and 1200 rpm. Not a purge control solenoid as told by dealer and manufacturer. Let the buyer beware.

Favorite Features

Great looking car with interior and exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Manufacturer needs to stand behind warranty and find the problem with the knocking engine and the new 6 speed transmission.

As Good as The Best
By jim

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have been looking for an entry level luxury car for several months. My problem is that every time I test drive an Acura TL, Infinity G35, BMWi, I get back into my Mazda and say "big deal". My two year old Mazda drives just as good as the luxury cars and after two years it still drives as quiet and firm as the day I bought it. The only exception has been the Lexus 330, but this car is deliberately not billed as a sports sedan so it does have a quieter and softer ride. P.S. The exterior styling of the Mazda it still as good as any of the luxury sports sedans.

Favorite Features

Good price, enough horsepower, easy to use controls, great trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Take on the big boys with a bigger engine, and more luxurious interior. Change the interior lighting to the Acura soft light style. And don't forget Bluetooth technology.