Used 2005 Mazda 6 s Sport Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Be careful over 100k
By rsavasta

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 Mazda 6 in 2007 with 20k miles. The car ran great, had lots of pep and was very reliable. After 120k miles I started noticing the oil level going down with no noticeable oil leak. It eventually would not start and when I brought it to the dealer they found that the valve seals were leaking and the PVC valve was blowing oil into the cylinders as well as the throttle body. After having the those 3 things replaced and spending $1500, it is running fine. Perhaps this is considered routine maintenance or the dealer ripped me off so beware.

Ready to run away
By youngbo718

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Mazda 6 by mistake, I actually looking for Mazda 3. But when I finally came to see the mistake I have made, see that I was completely wrong. This vehicle is absolutely fun drive and fast. Its only waiting to press the gas and run away.

the torque

seats

Fun to drive sports sedan
By miltownguy

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Solid car that is fun to drive, decent V6 overall although its just the duratec V6 from Ford, has great power from 3k and above but definitely needs more low end torque below 3k..gas mileage is subpar, when im driving it nice i can get up to 27mpg, but 24-25 is more common..awesome to drive on curvy roads, the stiff frame enables you to hug the road and you can fly through corners..5 speed is also very slick and a lot of fun to drive..bought this car w/ 18k and haven't had to replace anything yet through 67k besides regular maintenance (F & R pads once, F & R rotors resurfaced once & then replaced, tires once)..heated seats and leather are also nice

heated leather seats, accelerating above 3k, manual transmission, ability to hug the road through curves, exterior styling, its always fun to look at it

low end torque & gas mileage need to be improved (or at least 1 or the other), brakes tend to be noisy for a few minutes after first driving but then goes away

Single foot seeks pedal to mash...
By Twitch

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mistakenly bought this car for my wife, and wished I'd given her my car and kept this one for myself instead! This is truly a driver's car. Bose system makes your ears dance. I found myself out in the garage more than once just listening to a new cd. Honest. And once you back it out of the garage, let the fun begin! Ford Duratec V6 has a nice exhaust note when pushed. The platform/suspension sometimes feels like it was designed for the lighter 4-cyl, but the V6 will pin your ears back if you hit your corners at mid-range rpm! 6-speed transmission geared a bit odd between 1st and 2nd, but sweet between 5th and 6th on road trips. And 3rd/4th gears make you over-eager to pass anyone.

The Bose system will make you cry when you finally have to sell it. Finely-tuned suspension + low-profile (aka expensive) grippy tires + a platform designed to have a low center of gravity = cornering like a rockstar on the red carpet. Thankfully the seats have decent bolstering to hold you in!!

The sport seats, suspension and low-profile tires that make you feel like a sports-car genius when you're zooming around town; but are the same features that make some a bit irritable on road trips. Also, cold weather encouraged the Ford V6 to burn oil (2 liters?), but my 2000 Honda never did that.

A Great Car for a Great Price
By Tick131

2005 Mazda 6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Mazda 6 at the beginning of this year after an accident left my Honda Civic totaled. I looked at Pontiac G6s, Hyundai Tiburons, Civics, a Lexus and even BMW to replace my beloved Honda. After testing a BMW 325, I discovered a Mazda6 sitting on the lot, intrigued by its designed I took it for a drive, and was blown away. I'd never thought to even look at Mazda, but this had exactly what I wanted: great looks, great equipment (almost fully loaded), great handling & performance, and a value I couldn't pass. The manual is much sloppier than my Civic, but feels like a rocket ship despite its competition's better numbers.

I never tire looking at this car, an amazing blend of usefulness and sportiness. Comfortable, but stable handling. Strong engine and linear torque.

A clean and competent manual transmission, I'd love to see these come with a short-throw 6-speed (which I think would resolve some of the tire grip issues when taking off) and higher quality interior are my only complaints.