2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
The Pros and Cons of a Mazda6
By jcurve

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.3L 4-cylinder engine found in the Mazda6 is completely adequate for most people, but when combined with the body of the Mazda6, causes some noticeable deficiencies. 1) The body weighs too much overall. This leads to mediocre acceleration. I will say, however, the speed and power available on long uphill grades is above average. 2) The body is low-profile. This means you can't put standard chains on the front tires. Only cables or low-profile chains (which are extremely expensive). 3) If you drive much past 90 mph, the downforce winds and centrifugal force on the tires cause the tires to rub against the wheel wells. The engine is capable of more than the body can take

Favorite Features

I love the orange interior lights at night. Feels like I'm driving the Batmobile. I've also gotten a few complements on the body style of my Mazda.

Suggested Improvements

1) Raise the vehicle enough to allow chains and eliminate the problem of tires rubbing against the wheel wells. 2) Reduce the overall weight or make the engine bigger to improve acceleration.

True Zoom
By sydtron

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Going into my fifth year (at 92000 miles) with my 2005 Mazda6S GT, I'm still enjoying the driver oriented experience baked into this car from day one. Only reliability issues I've encountered are the headlights burning out and a strut bearing causing noise. Otherwise, taking good care to replace general maintenance items has kept the car in good working condition, and I don't baby the car. The relationship between driver and car, in regards to seating position, steering, throttle, and general feel is fantastic. Refinement could be better (2006+ models are noticeably more refined), but I enjoy this car every time I drive it. New sport shocks, springs, and larger rear sway added.

Favorite Features

Steering - Could have a little less slack, but the information on what the tires are doing makes hard driving easy and fun. Feels like a sports car. Transmission - While the 6-speed Aisin automatic is not buttery smooth (especially when cold) like newer automatics, it is well geared for the engine, holds revs to fuel cutoff, and for the most part is very direct and connected. Chassis - While lacking refinement, the car simply transmits plenty of what it is doing to the driver through the seat and wheel, enabling you to take advantage of the very sporty nature of the cars suspension. Interior - Mine has held up well, is functional and looks sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Engine - V6 is strong and smooth when revved out (also fun and sounds great), but could use more low end torque. Weather - The car is fun to drive, but its quick responses can make driving in the snow and rain difficult. Solved this by just having excellent tires; Michelin Pilot Super Sports for summer, Bridgestone Blizzack WS-70 for winter. Shocks - My car, not sure if all '05 6's, needed better shock damping. I replaced the stockers with Koni FSD dampers, huge difference. 2006+ models felt better than the 05 stock. A/C - Could be stronger. Going to replace coolant after winter, will reevaluate then. Refinement - A bit of road noise, and more suspension noise than I'd like.

My First Car
By bullrunlover

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As this being my first vehicle, it was a good choice, especially with TCS (Traction Control System), I've had it for almost a whole year and mine has 68,500 miles. The only problem I've had with it was the A/C, which doesn't blow very well, and a terrible creaking noise coming from the engine area when I rev it or turn on the A/C. The brakes are amazing, they have to go through pretty bad situations in my area due to bad drivers. The build quality of the interior is pretty bad, the fuse door and some of the unnecessary bits and pieces have came off and I've had to put them back on while driving, which can be dangerous. But overall, this car has been one that I'd keep until it's inherited.

Favorite Features

I love the red color, it matches the black interior, especially at night! I love the sleek body style, it shows how cute it is and also how it has its mean side. The seats are really comfortable, I feel good doing a 200-300 mile journey without having to stop due to a cramp or if my foot has fell asleep. Even though I don't use them, I love the rear foldable seats, even though the trunk already has enough space already. I love the fact that it loves to rev, the 2.3 liter Inline 4 is powerful enough to get the job done. The 18 gallon tank is pretty good aswell, which is handy for long trips and for school.

Suggested Improvements

The interior style is slightly bland, it's okay but it needs some work. The interior build quality is pretty bad, unimportant pieces tend to fall off or pop out. It needs a few more AC Adaptors for the backseat, they charge their phones too.

Be careful over 100k
By rsavasta

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 Mazda 6 in 2007 with 20k miles. The car ran great, had lots of pep and was very reliable. After 120k miles I started noticing the oil level going down with no noticeable oil leak. It eventually would not start and when I brought it to the dealer they found that the valve seals were leaking and the PVC valve was blowing oil into the cylinders as well as the throttle body. After having the those 3 things replaced and spending $1500, it is running fine. Perhaps this is considered routine maintenance or the dealer ripped me off so beware.

Love my Mazda 6 (5-Door Hatchback)
By sdanthny

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 in early 2006 and still own it. It's paid off, has been without warranty for 2 years and I have not had any problems with the car warranting me to shell out money to get it fixed (besides regular maintenance of course). Luckily for me, any of the problems I have had with the car were rectified when I still had a warranty. Needless to say, I have 60k miles, 80% life on my brakes left (changed in '08 due to a caliper flaw) and the car purrs like it did brand new. I must say the car does NOT sound like a 6 yr old car. It still is flashy on the road (bright red) and is a blast to drive on the freeway flying by everyone else in their mundane vehicles. Hell yeah to Mazda!

Favorite Features

Styling, performance/great mid-range gearing, reliability, quality interior materials, and functionality of the 5-door.

Suggested Improvements

Small tank and thirsty V6 engine (20-27 mpg mixed driving), manual drivers side lumbar support mechanism is weak, wide turning circle

cnt wait for summmmmer
By jenjen123

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I always loved my car but terrible terrible in the snow. Dont feel safe at all with even an inch on the ground. Slides all over n gets stuck constantly with barley nothing on the ground. Last winter spun out of control going barley 20mph almost totaling my car n this winter its been one aggravation after another. Any time i see even the slightest bit of snow fall i hope i have no where to go because i never felt so unsafe in any car. Think its time to trade in for a truck :(

mazda 6i
By chefkrick

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

purchased mazda 6i with 85,000 KM Have it now 1 year. Looks and drives like new, no issues. Fun to drive and looks good. added a few mods, LED lighting and Hids. no issues at all for an older Mazda. When its time for a new car I will definatly purchase a new Mazda 6.

Favorite Features

Fun to Drive Nice Appearance Comfortable seats dependable

Still going strong at 95,000 mi.
By Richard D

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in Dec.'06 with 21,000 miles on it. After a few minor issues due to the previous owner's neglect, it has provided me with years of trouble free, reliable transportation.I still love to drive the car even after all this time. I keep up with routine maintenance,(oil and filter change, tire rotation , etc. ).When the time comes to retire this one, I'll probably look to a newer model 6 , consider me a repeat buyer.

Favorite Features

The reliability of the car is probably one of my favorite features , it is also fun to drive , comfortable on longer drives, looks great , very economical, good value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Ready to run away
By youngbo718

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this Mazda 6 by mistake, I actually looking for Mazda 3. But when I finally came to see the mistake I have made, see that I was completely wrong. This vehicle is absolutely fun drive and fast. Its only waiting to press the gas and run away.

Favorite Features

the torque

Suggested Improvements

seats

The new love of my life
By Rhodes44

2005 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had a chevy blazer, 1999 that i traded in. I had way to many problems with it. The first and only car i looked at was a SILVER MAZDA 6. I loved how spacious this car is and all of the room in the trunk. I took that baby for a test drive and truly felt how clean she was. this car hugs corners and is such a blast to drive. Best way to describe it would be clean all around. My car was owned by one person, previously and had 52,000 miles. I would be using my car for work and also pleasure. My daughter and I drive to va beach alot, close to once amonth and have not had any type of issues so far. Even my boyfriend loves the way this mazda drives and cuts around corners. Very clean and sharp.

Favorite Features

huge trunk, great to take on long trips, alot of storage space and great system. I have fun driving this car and have been finding myself looking for excuses to drive.I have a 2 year old and i know she is safe in this vehicle.A mazda 6 is a wonderful car and i would recommend this to my own family.

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders for children in the back and that is all.