Used 2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Moderte
By Contessa Baird

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a lot of fun for me, but I feel it is not fully insulated and creates a lot of background noise.

Comfortable to sit in, fairly reliable. The vehicle made a nonstop 4,000 mile trip with out any complications. Gives a sporty feel which is enjoyable.

INTERIOOOORRR, everything breaks. The fact that most of the plastic in the car finds a way to break or crack is disappointing. Like the Man-box above the stereo and the sun visor clip. When hitting bumps during a drive the cd player will glitch. My Thermostat went bad @ around the 100,000 mile marker, $360 fix. I feel Mazda cheeped out on the much needed detail this car needs. But I still love her.

mazda 6 good but lowsy interior
By dead_catz

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First car, First of all it drove great and is fun to drive, i put a Cold air and magnaflow on her (2.3) sounded beautiful but the interior was a peice of trash, the LCD notoriously on mazda 6 went out great cool 150 bucks to replace... the mapbox above the radio sucked and the lid broke the 6 disc cd changer cds no longer cycle well... overall 90k miles no problems except for the trashy interior

18 gallon gas tank decent gas mileage HUGE spaceous interior on the hatchback

LCD.... mapbox lid... CD changer radio...

Something different in this segment
By byronape

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

Leather is nice, but requires some additional upkeep. Sunroof is great. Hatchback makes it very useful for hauling but it still looks like a sporty sedan. Big enough in the back for 4 people as long as the people in the back are not over 6 feet and don't have long legs. Handles great with decent tires, even with a little more body roll than I'd like. Of course, the body roll could just be due to the age\ mileage. The 6-disk CD changer is a nice touch, but I think you have to get the Bose system to get it so it's a bit of a trade off.

It's a little late now since it's been redesigned, but the factory Bose system is not worth it as long as you can get the wheel mounted controls without it. Otherwise, plan on swapping out the amp\sub\speakers if you are an audiophile like me. Also, when the back seat is down, you can hear a lot of rattles and creaks. It isn't overpowering, but it is annoying when the radio is low and you are trying to have a conversation. Otherwise, a little volume on the radio will drown it out completely.

Unbelievably poor performance in snow.
By thebigbw

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice car for warm months of the year, but if you live any place that it snows STAY AWAY. I live in Minnesota and the performance on snow is terrible. The biggest issue is inability to accelerate. Level ground or an incline, it doesn't matter - you will spin and spin and spin. It's a reliable starter in cold weather, and heats up pretty quick. Stylish too. I'm also having issues with my stereo and CD player. This car is so close to having it all....maybe if I lived in southern California I'd be all right.

Anyone Else Experiencing Electrical Issues??
By jayl2

2005 Mazda 6 Hatchback s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used from a dealer in January 2008. Within 6 months, started to notice issues with the clock not lighting up. This ultimately progressed to the entire dash not lighting up, or flickering. Now, the radio turns on and off by itself, and is a real nuisance when driving. I was told by the dealer that to correct this problem it will be over $1000. Needless to say, I don't have the money now to do this. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Was there ever a recall on this issue? I couldn't find one. Other than forking over $1000 to get this issue corrected, what has anyone else done to remedy the situation?

It's a nice looking car, rides decent. The headlamps are not very bright at night which makes it a bit difficult to see, especially on back roads.

First off, I was not expecting so many electrical issues to go wrong with the car - especially the dash console area, and radio. It would be nice if you could easily remove the radio without having to remove the entire dashboard, but this is not possible.