Used 2005 Mazda 6 s Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Something different in this segment
By byronape

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

Favorite Features

Leather is nice, but requires some additional upkeep. Sunroof is great. Hatchback makes it very useful for hauling but it still looks like a sporty sedan. Big enough in the back for 4 people as long as the people in the back are not over 6 feet and don't have long legs. Handles great with decent tires, even with a little more body roll than I'd like. Of course, the body roll could just be due to the age\ mileage. The 6-disk CD changer is a nice touch, but I think you have to get the Bose system to get it so it's a bit of a trade off.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little late now since it's been redesigned, but the factory Bose system is not worth it as long as you can get the wheel mounted controls without it. Otherwise, plan on swapping out the amp\sub\speakers if you are an audiophile like me. Also, when the back seat is down, you can hear a lot of rattles and creaks. It isn't overpowering, but it is annoying when the radio is low and you are trying to have a conversation. Otherwise, a little volume on the radio will drown it out completely.

Unbelievably poor performance in snow.
By thebigbw

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice car for warm months of the year, but if you live any place that it snows STAY AWAY. I live in Minnesota and the performance on snow is terrible. The biggest issue is inability to accelerate. Level ground or an incline, it doesn't matter - you will spin and spin and spin. It's a reliable starter in cold weather, and heats up pretty quick. Stylish too. I'm also having issues with my stereo and CD player. This car is so close to having it all....maybe if I lived in southern California I'd be all right.

Anyone Else Experiencing Electrical Issues??
By jayl2

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used from a dealer in January 2008. Within 6 months, started to notice issues with the clock not lighting up. This ultimately progressed to the entire dash not lighting up, or flickering. Now, the radio turns on and off by itself, and is a real nuisance when driving. I was told by the dealer that to correct this problem it will be over $1000. Needless to say, I don't have the money now to do this. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Was there ever a recall on this issue? I couldn't find one. Other than forking over $1000 to get this issue corrected, what has anyone else done to remedy the situation?

Favorite Features

It's a nice looking car, rides decent. The headlamps are not very bright at night which makes it a bit difficult to see, especially on back roads.

Suggested Improvements

First off, I was not expecting so many electrical issues to go wrong with the car - especially the dash console area, and radio. It would be nice if you could easily remove the radio without having to remove the entire dashboard, but this is not possible.

Good Car
By Handbook

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I brought a Madza, V6, with 60,000 mi, a month ago. Someone just hit me this weekend and cracked the back fender and wheelwell. So far, I'm very happy with this sporty, stylish car. It gets a lot of compliments. The car is bright red with 17" alloy wheels. The engine is very quiet. I can barely hear it while I drive. The car is fast too. The V6 is suppose to have 220 HP. Once I test drove it, I decided to buy it. I do have one issue with the car. It's hard to see out the back window, and the blindside on the passenger's side is bad. It's hard to see if there are cars on my right side. I have to be more careful when I parallel park. Other than that, the Madza is a good car.

Favorite Features

Just the way the car drives.

Suggested Improvements

Even though I complained about not being able to see out the back window and the blindspot, the car doesn't need any improvements.

You can't go wrong with this car! FUN
By Fortunato

2005 Mazda 6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car a couple weeks ago from the Toyota dealership I work for; it was a trade-in. As soon as i saw the car, i fell in love (I've been a mazda fan my whole life). I used to have a 03 Protege5 5spd, which i think is the best car Mazda has made. This car gets the job done with a fun flare. With the ferrari red exterior, it certainly brakes necks. It's not the quickest but it is definatly fun to drive. Very comfortable and versitile, going to and from work and taking it out with your friends at night, its just a very fun drive. Definatly recomend it!

Favorite Features

Ferrari red exterior, great styling, low maintenance costs, VERY smooth ride, LOTS of cargo space and very roomy all around

Suggested Improvements

The tranny tends to shift late in reverse