2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Something different in this segment
By byronape on 10/05/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

Unbelievably poor performance in snow.
By thebigbw on 01/20/12 18:13 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice car for warm months of the year, but if you live any place that it snows STAY AWAY. I live in Minnesota and the performance on snow is terrible. The biggest issue is inability to accelerate. Level ground or an incline, it doesn't matter - you will spin and spin and spin. It's a reliable starter in cold weather, and heats up pretty quick. Stylish too. I'm also having issues with my stereo and CD player. This car is so close to having it all....maybe if I lived in southern California I'd be all right.

Anyone Else Experiencing Electrical Issues??
By jayl2 on 01/11/12 12:58 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased the car used from a dealer in January 2008. Within 6 months, started to notice issues with the clock not lighting up. This ultimately progressed to the entire dash not lighting up, or flickering. Now, the radio turns on and off by itself, and is a real nuisance when driving. I was told by the dealer that to correct this problem it will be over $1000. Needless to say, I don't have the money now to do this. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Was there ever a recall on this issue? I couldn't find one. Other than forking over $1000 to get this issue corrected, what has anyone else done to remedy the situation?

Good Car
By Handbook on 10/12/09 15:38 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I brought a Madza, V6, with 60,000 mi, a month ago. Someone just hit me this weekend and cracked the back fender and wheelwell. So far, I'm very happy with this sporty, stylish car. It gets a lot of compliments. The car is bright red with 17" alloy wheels. The engine is very quiet. I can barely hear it while I drive. The car is fast too. The V6 is suppose to have 220 HP. Once I test drove it, I decided to buy it. I do have one issue with the car. It's hard to see out the back window, and the blindside on the passenger's side is bad. It's hard to see if there are cars on my right side. I have to be more careful when I parallel park. Other than that, the Madza is a good car.

You can't go wrong with this car! FUN
By Fortunato on 08/05/09 16:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car a couple weeks ago from the Toyota dealership I work for; it was a trade-in. As soon as i saw the car, i fell in love (I've been a mazda fan my whole life). I used to have a 03 Protege5 5spd, which i think is the best car Mazda has made. This car gets the job done with a fun flare. With the ferrari red exterior, it certainly brakes necks. It's not the quickest but it is definatly fun to drive. Very comfortable and versitile, going to and from work and taking it out with your friends at night, its just a very fun drive. Definatly recomend it!

Mazda6
By Dan O on 11/28/07 05:29 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a great vehicle. It is sleek and fun to drive. I have enjoyed it for the 2 years that I have owned it. If you are looking for a nice ride that is functional, than the Mazda6 is for you.

M6s
By DSS1000 on 11/02/07 10:16 AM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car: original & stylish, excellent & spirited handling, high revs, 4 yr/50K warranty. I've owned a Mazda6s 5-door for about two months and so far find it exciting to drive, nice to look at, and very satisfying. Low end torque isn't best, but when engine runs up to 4K RPM, the thrust is invigorating, though may overwhelm some folks. OEM tires will be replaced: marginal in wet conditions, though not worn completely. I wasn't sure about an M6s initially, but owning it changed mind for better. Hatch storage is wagon-like. Great straight-line driving and car hugs road in all curves, no lean, great brakes, and taut ride make it a champ. Not class-leading power but does nice job!

M6s Hatch
By DSS on 10/10/07 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Recent used purchase. M6s so far offers a spirited and exciting driving experience. It's comfortable, stylish, & sufficiently powerful, although latter could be better. Hatch is very versatile and plenty roomy for four adult commuters. Tires need replacing at 27K miles: they spin when slightly wet; brakes to be upgraded, too. Faint engine tick emerging which Edmunds.com claimed is problem w/"camshaft caps": to the dealer it goes under warranty. High revs to get moving & low-end torque are nuisances, but punch is a thrill once they're figured out. Mid-rear-childseat clip is near hatch at car back-may need extension. Otherwise, great car to be kept a while.

Nice Car!
By sagitaur on 09/13/06 15:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 3800 miles on it, so it was pretty much like new. Had never really looked at them, but got a great deal on an '05 Sport Hatch. The car handles great and is pretty comfortable for my daily commute. The looks are unbeatable in this segment, having a much more sporty demeanor than the Camcords. The interior is nicely done as well, with all major conveniences and safety gear. Although a little reluctant at first, the versatility of the hatch can't be beat and it's difficult to differentiate between the hatch and the sedan versions. This car would be a great choice for those looking for a sporty car with a little room and versatility.

Sue's car
By Jim Sarver on 03/22/06 08:51 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Engine is a little soft off the line. Need refinement. Needs lots of gas to get going from a stop for good speeds. Highway passing requires a greater distance than my other cars. Smaller than I would like. Otherwise, it is a pleasant little car.