2005 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
The Pros and Cons of a Mazda6
By jcurve on 01/25/14 14:01 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The 2.3L 4-cylinder engine found in the Mazda6 is completely adequate for most people, but when combined with the body of the Mazda6, causes some noticeable deficiencies. 1) The body weighs too much overall. This leads to mediocre acceleration. I will say, however, the speed and power available on long uphill grades is above average. 2) The body is low-profile. This means you can't put standard chains on the front tires. Only cables or low-profile chains (which are extremely expensive). 3) If you drive much past 90 mph, the downforce winds and centrifugal force on the tires cause the tires to rub against the wheel wells. The engine is capable of more than the body can take

True Zoom
By sydtron on 01/21/14 09:30 AM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Going into my fifth year (at 92000 miles) with my 2005 Mazda6S GT, I'm still enjoying the driver oriented experience baked into this car from day one. Only reliability issues I've encountered are the headlights burning out and a strut bearing causing noise. Otherwise, taking good care to replace general maintenance items has kept the car in good working condition, and I don't baby the car. The relationship between driver and car, in regards to seating position, steering, throttle, and general feel is fantastic. Refinement could be better (2006+ models are noticeably more refined), but I enjoy this car every time I drive it. New sport shocks, springs, and larger rear sway added.

mazda 6 good but lowsy interior
By dead_catz on 12/01/13 19:27 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i Sport 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

First car, First of all it drove great and is fun to drive, i put a Cold air and magnaflow on her (2.3) sounded beautiful but the interior was a peice of trash, the LCD notoriously on mazda 6 went out great cool 150 bucks to replace... the mapbox above the radio sucked and the lid broke the 6 disc cd changer cds no longer cycle well... overall 90k miles no problems except for the trashy interior

My First Car
By bullrunlover on 10/28/13 18:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As this being my first vehicle, it was a good choice, especially with TCS (Traction Control System), I've had it for almost a whole year and mine has 68,500 miles. The only problem I've had with it was the A/C, which doesn't blow very well, and a terrible creaking noise coming from the engine area when I rev it or turn on the A/C. The brakes are amazing, they have to go through pretty bad situations in my area due to bad drivers. The build quality of the interior is pretty bad, the fuse door and some of the unnecessary bits and pieces have came off and I've had to put them back on while driving, which can be dangerous. But overall, this car has been one that I'd keep until it's inherited.

Be careful over 100k
By rsavasta on 06/13/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my '05 Mazda 6 in 2007 with 20k miles. The car ran great, had lots of pep and was very reliable. After 120k miles I started noticing the oil level going down with no noticeable oil leak. It eventually would not start and when I brought it to the dealer they found that the valve seals were leaking and the PVC valve was blowing oil into the cylinders as well as the throttle body. After having the those 3 things replaced and spending $1500, it is running fine. Perhaps this is considered routine maintenance or the dealer ripped me off so beware.

Can I buy another, please?
By a_mightywind on 10/07/12 13:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've found this to be a terrific car. It's not your typical stodgy wagon. It is fun to drive, the interior fittings are excellent as is the build quality. I still love the aggressive exterior styling. They're not being offered in Canada anymore but, I'm told, they are being offered in Europe. I hope that situation changes because I would be another for sure.

Something different in this segment
By byronape on 10/05/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was searching for a mid-size car with decent power, nice looking, and a V6-MTX combo to replace my aged Maxima. The 6 fit the bill, and since it's made in Michigan, I could keep my Ford retiree FIL happy. It had a little over 80k when it bought it, and had a few minor issues that I have yet to deal with. Almost a year after buying it, I'm still pleased with the way the car drives and handles. The factory Bose system was terrible, so I swapped the speakers for aftermarket... fyi you need to swap the amp too or it will sound worse. Power isn't fantastic, but sufficient for keeping things interesting. Looks nice and with the leather and sunroof, it feels like a more expensive car.

2005 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon Review
By tfrancl on 04/29/12 15:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased the car 4 years ago with 40K miles and currently have 82K miles. This has been an excellent car. While it is a station wagon it drives and handles very well, more like a sports sedan. The V-6 and six speed auto is a very good combination of performance and mileage. It also has a very good Bose aduio system. The heater, heated seats and AC all preform well. We have not had any maintenace issues other than the standard upkeep of tires, brakes, etc.

Love my Mazda 6 (5-Door Hatchback)
By sdanthny on 04/24/12 16:42 PM (PDT)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Grand Touring 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 in early 2006 and still own it. It's paid off, has been without warranty for 2 years and I have not had any problems with the car warranting me to shell out money to get it fixed (besides regular maintenance of course). Luckily for me, any of the problems I have had with the car were rectified when I still had a warranty. Needless to say, I have 60k miles, 80% life on my brakes left (changed in '08 due to a caliper flaw) and the car purrs like it did brand new. I must say the car does NOT sound like a 6 yr old car. It still is flashy on the road (bright red) and is a blast to drive on the freeway flying by everyone else in their mundane vehicles. Hell yeah to Mazda!

Unbelievably poor performance in snow.
By thebigbw on 01/20/12 18:13 PM (PST)

2005 Mazda Mazda6 s Sport 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice car for warm months of the year, but if you live any place that it snows STAY AWAY. I live in Minnesota and the performance on snow is terrible. The biggest issue is inability to accelerate. Level ground or an incline, it doesn't matter - you will spin and spin and spin. It's a reliable starter in cold weather, and heats up pretty quick. Stylish too. I'm also having issues with my stereo and CD player. This car is so close to having it all....maybe if I lived in southern California I'd be all right.