2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Review: You get what you pay for

2004 Mazda 6 - Consumer Review

s Wagon (3.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

You get what you pay for
By JeffInNC on

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, you get a lot for your money here. In my case Mazda was taking $4K off sticker to move a few of these and I was able to get the dealer to reduce his cut as well. But there's a price. After about 9K miles my front rotors are warped. Lately the car has started to stall immediately after being started in the morning. The interior rattles and buzzing speaker enclosures were annoying from day 1 and seem to be getting worse. Matter of fact, I put it in the shop this afternoon and got a Dodge Neon as a loaner. The Neon has a smoother ride and it doesn't rattle. That's pretty sad! I was planning on this car purchase being a long-term keeper but I don't think that's going to happen.

Very efficient use of space, good looking in and out, lots of toys for your dollar, plenty fast once you get used to the feel of the accelerator (V6).

Have this thing assembled in Japan instead of in Michigan by UAW people. The rattles can't be a design feature; I attribute them to people assembling the car who just don't care. And don't turn it into a boat, but do something about the tooth-jarring suspension - the ride is incredibly harsh.