2004 Mazda Mazda6 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - So much fun, so little

2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Review

s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L V6 5-speed Manual)

So much fun, so little compromise
By ambivalence on

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I can't say enough how much I love this car! I know there are no perfect car for <$50k (or above?). But it's amazing to me how little you give up for how much you get in this sexy 5-dr hatchback! I can go to a $50k budget and there isn't another car that can beat out this package in every major aspect. The holistic approach that Mazda took to driving pleasure really pays off (see below for highlights). Beneath the aggressive exterior is a car that blends in the handling (and good looks) of a sports coupe, the luxurious ride of a lexus and the utility of a compact suv. Simply unbelievable!

Favorite Features

Taut chassis and suspension setup, quick and intuitive steering, great sound of the V6 on high rpm, slick and accurate manual transmission, strong brakes, sexy lines and profile. And of course, the priceless look on people's faces when I open up the hatchback!

Suggested Improvements

More low-end torque and a few more ponies; gearbox could be a little tighter, as it is it feels a bit fragile. Bring back the yellow exterior!