Used 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (63 reviews )

Sleeper
By mgrabo

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

A really great option to the garden variety commuter cars despite gas mileage is in the low 20s (partially due to my shift points ;-). It has a very eager, smooth running motor & handles very well on the stock 17" rubber. In wagon format, it really occupies a niche of one (220hp V6, handling biased, manual transmission wagon under $25k). If you don't demand 30mph from a daily driver, the Mazda6 is worth taking a close look.

Super smooth motor; great brakes; Bose stereo package.

6th gear, please; dealer installed roof rack option; increase standard feature list to include trip computer & dash blackout.

FUN -- after the throttle body was replaced
By libbyrae

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fell in love on the test drive. All the fun interior toys, the spaciousness, the comfort, the styling, the quiet engine, the power! After a few months I noticed the engine lagged while it shifted gears, and it even shut itself off once. Not good. Then I took it in with all my complaints and they found a defective throttle body. If I had driven it much longer I could have done some serious damage to the engine. Now it's fixed and it's like having a new car again. I'm still in love. I tested it once in the semi-snowy/icy Cascadia Mountains in Oregon and the traction control system kicked in nicely. I'll soon be moving from Nevada to Toronto, Canada. Can't wait to see how it does in the snow.

Dash layout, controls and red glow. 6 CD changer Bose system with acceleration level control. Lumbar support in driver's seat. Heated seats. Trunk cargo space. All around performance.

I wish the headlights would come on automatically at night like Toyotas.

You get what you pay for
By JeffInNC

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, you get a lot for your money here. In my case Mazda was taking $4K off sticker to move a few of these and I was able to get the dealer to reduce his cut as well. But there's a price. After about 9K miles my front rotors are warped. Lately the car has started to stall immediately after being started in the morning. The interior rattles and buzzing speaker enclosures were annoying from day 1 and seem to be getting worse. Matter of fact, I put it in the shop this afternoon and got a Dodge Neon as a loaner. The Neon has a smoother ride and it doesn't rattle. That's pretty sad! I was planning on this car purchase being a long-term keeper but I don't think that's going to happen.

Very efficient use of space, good looking in and out, lots of toys for your dollar, plenty fast once you get used to the feel of the accelerator (V6).

Have this thing assembled in Japan instead of in Michigan by UAW people. The rattles can't be a design feature; I attribute them to people assembling the car who just don't care. And don't turn it into a boat, but do something about the tooth-jarring suspension - the ride is incredibly harsh.

6 is one of the best!
By kiucool in MN

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I literally test drove 10 different cars before I decided on either buying the 6 or the Subaru Outback. I finally went for the 6 because it is 1000's less than the Outback. I live in MN. Winter driving is part of out lives here. I found that the 6 handles the snowy days very very well, thanks to its all speed traction control. My wagon has the luxury and sport pack; makes the car looks really sporty and it's amazingly comfortable! The auxiliary heater is great for winter. Handling on dry pavement is solid and inspires confidence around corners. Headlights with intergrated fog lights makes driving in the dark a lot more visible and safer. The sport shift is a lot of fun. But downshifting to gear #1 is a little rough!

220 HP, plenty of power, makes merging on the freeway a breeze. Handles great in snow. Sporty styling. Luxurious interior (with luxury package). Solid handling, cornering is fun!

Rough downshifting from gear #2 to gear #1 when using the manual mode. Needs to make the headlights more easily accessible so changing the bulbs is not a 4 hours project.

Wonderful wagon
By mb

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car last October and have loved every minute of driving it so far. It's fun and practical, what a combination! Holds lots of gear and is terrific to drive. I've even been pleasantly surprised at how well it's handled in the snow so far. Great value -- I got leather, moonroof, Bose stereo, all for much less than I expected.

The plastic cargo holder in the back and the dog net are perfect. Seats are extremely comfortable and the back has more room than my previous Subaru. Great visibilty from every angle. Love the V6 engine too.

Better mpg! For a car this size it should be much better than it is. Turning radius could also be tighter. The A/C is very quirky and hard to figure out.