Used 2004 Mazda 6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Can't be better
By bib

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mine is awesome. It's 3.5 years now 89K miles and all I did was replace oil, transmission oil (twice), tires and brake pads. My MPG is 24-25 driving 90% on highways sometimes in traffic. The only problem was recalled A/C vent which was promptly replaced.

Overall design, good performance and mileage.

Better OEM tires, mp3.

Would Buy Another Tomorrow If I Had To
By slickride

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda 6 in August of 2004. Has a 5 speed manual with sport package and Bose stereo. I have had zero problems with this car. Regular oil changes, new wipers every year (live in snow belt, CNY) and had to buy snow tires and new performance radials (I'm a sales man). I just rolled over 63,500 on the car and have had no major repairs with the exception of the front wheel bearing. Performance is excellent and gas mileage is great. Can't complain with 400 miles on a tank. Why anyone would buy anything else boggles the mind. Great quality and reliability for the money. The car was rear ended by an F150 at a red light, was fixed and no-one got hurt. That's reliability to me!

Performance, audio system, reliability, steering response, just about everything. So much in a car for so little on the sticker.

Put a 6 speed in the car. At 65 or 70 MPH, the car is at 3K on the tac. That would give better gas mileage. Put better wearing tires on the car to increase the wearing level upon purchase.

Total Package
By Faro

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the 2nd owner, bought it with 67000 miles. Currently 76,000 in a little over 8 months. Had a 97 Prelude (auto trans) previous to this and I can say that this car handles just as predictable as the Prelude, which was lowered 2 inches all around. It has just the right amount of power to merge onto the highway, to cruise on the open road, as well as passing someone on the highway. I have the manual tranny and so far haven't had any problem. I do experience starter squeal from the clutch dust in the bearings, as well as a defunct CD player, and my fan control module went - causing the engine to overheat. The car does have its reliability issues, other than that, its a great all around car.

Heated seats/mirrors, clear and unobstructed vision of road through all windows, engine hp/torque, sound system via ipod adapter, durable leather, handling.

Factory tinted windows

Mazda6 S 5 speed
By chedmardo

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had it since new and would like to have more power with better gas mileage (don't we all?). It's been fantastic mechanically with only putting brakes on it and changing the oil. Still has the original plugs at 96000 miles!

Auto climate control, Bose stereo, power moon roof.

More power with better fuel economy.

Decent Enough
By Joey

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04. 60K miles so far. Replaced all 4 tires and brakes and changed the oil regularly. Luckily no big problems. It's a good looking car that's fun to drive. I have the sport package with the automatic tranny (wish I got the manual). I like the car but the rear tires get cupped if you don't rotate them often enough. You also have to be careful washing it that you don't break off the cheap antenna (oops). When she's clean she gets lots of looks. There is also a little hesitation with the automatic tranny when you punch the throttle and it's very annoying. But still, a nice family car that doesn't look like one.

Styling and ride comfort.

Fix tranny hesitation, improve warranty to be more in line with most imports (10 years 100k miles), get rid of rooftop antenna, hmmm, that's it I guess.