2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Great car, but unreliable at times
By OwnerInTorrance on 09/02/07 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my Mazda6s hatchback for 3.5 years now. It's been a good, not great car. I love the looks and sportiness versus the Accord and Camry - a fun car for a young dad. However, I've had several maintenance issues that have kept the car in the shop more than I would have liked - starter, water pump, radiator all had to be replaced, axle seal leaking, among other things. It was all covered by warranty, but still a pain. On top of all this, my gas mileage is less than I hoped, around 15 mpg when I was hoping for closer to 20 mpg.

Enjoyable
By Ryan on 08/14/07 16:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 6 is now 3 yrs old, and has over 65k miles on her. She still drives great, handles superbly, and has yet to have any "major" work (knock on wood) done on it. The only real draw back is the crappy fuel economy.

First Mazda
By Jacko on 08/11/07 18:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new in '04 and love this car. Get compliments on exterior design all the time. Got the Luxury, Sport, Security, and Bose packages all in a manual 4-banger and love all these features. With the small engine, I really don't push this car hard, but it gives me all the power I need, with the exception of some throttle lag in 1st or 2nd gear. Stock Michelins terrible in snow. Had clutch replaced due to shudder, and brakes and rotors twice due to abnormal and untimely wear, all noted by Mazda bulletins. Hope current models have these problems ironed out cause I still love this car.

Awesome Car!
By Jeff on 07/12/07 17:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda6i brand new with 55 miles on it. It currently has 97,000 miles on it. I chose the 2.3L 4cyl and I have had zero trouble with it. It handles like a dream and it's a lot of fun!! I bought the sport package with moonroof/bose/17" wheels etc. It's been a great car and it's paid for!! I will never get rid of this car and it's absolutely wonderful to drive. I feel the same way I did when I bought it brand new. Confident and classy.

Love my little Zipper
By MzAngelique on 04/16/07 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 34k miles. I really lucked up and got a great deal on it. Plus it's fully loaded (sports trim, leather seats, power, tint, spoiler, sunroof, Bose stereo, etc.). I LOVE THIS CAR!! I'm definitely a driver's driver. I love the handling, especially on curves (barely have to slow down on exit ramps). The speed is great, you feel like you're going 40 at 60 mph. I've put nearly 20k miles on it in the year and a half that I've had it. Including a 1500 mile road trip. I was comfortable the entire trip there and back. I saw a few people have had some mechanical issues with theirs, but other than a headlight bulb needing replacing, I've had no issues.

Consider the mileage
By kenny g on 04/13/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a Mazda 6 wagon new in late 2004. Love the car except for 2 fatal flaws. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. At best 16 mpg in town and 21 on the road. Therefore I never drive it around town which is most of my driving. The mileage compares to a Hummer! The other fatal flaw is a super wide turning radius making city parking a real chore. It's very hard to get into tight urban parking spots. I've had 2 re-calls already in under 2 years while other Hondas/Toyotas I've owned never had any recalls. The car drives great, handles well and easily fits 4 adults and gear for a long road trip, but the awful mileage really bothers me!

2004 Mazda6
By Toubas on 04/11/07 17:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The Mazda6 is fun to drive. You may lose some tires because of the low clearance in some poorly maintained New York streets. The car does not like severe rain downpours either. I lost a fan blade that hit the radiator and pierced it during a rainstorm. The Mazda dealer said it was an "act of God." and the warrantee was not honored. I wrote mazda at no avail. Good car, poor service and a company that is not consumer oriented. I would not recommend it. A calm, careful driver.

Fun to Drive
By Richard on 04/07/07 05:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I never thought that a 4 door sedan could be this fun to drive. I have the 4 cyl. with 5 speed and it has plenty of power, handles excellent in corners and highway speeds. I bought this Mazda6 with the intention of giving it to my son when he turned 16 and now that the day has arrived, I hate to give it up. The a/c works great, shifting is smooth and quick with its short throw design and it comes with some special features not expected in this cars price range, like dimming lights after entering the car, auto shut off headlights, if you forgot, great bose stereo system, electronic trunk release and many other features you would not expect for the price. All and all a great car to drive

Fun little car!
By mrcook128 on 03/30/07 11:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I must confess that I got my 6 with the 5 speed auto. It is still a fun car. The V6 is very smooth but will start barking at about 4,000rpm. The car is fairly linear through the turns with great steering feel the whole way. The transmission has a tendency to hunt for gears. In two years I have done nothing more than routine maintenance every 6 months - a dream compared to my last car. I still have not gotten over how pretty this car is inside and out. With the hatchback design it swallows everything we need to carry. Gas mileage! It is rated at 19/26, but in mixed driving I never seem to do better than 18 or 19. Interior is comfortable but wind noise is abundant. Opt for the Bose!

Great car!
By tm999 on 03/06/07 13:01 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have over 70,000 miles on my Mazda6 S (manual trans) and I'm completely satisfied with its performance and reliability up to this point. Other than the stock Michelin tires which were dreadful in the snow I have absolutely no complaints. Oil and brake pads are all that it's needed for service so far. I average around 24mpg with 3.0 engine and manual transmission. If you like sporty ride (a little stiff for some), decent motor, great handling, nice interior, reasonable mileage and great reliability I highly recommend this car.