Used 2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 452 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Awesome Ride!
By BigT

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and have never regretted it. It is THE best car I've ever owned and plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. With 73k miles on it so far the only things I've done were normal wear and tear items, new brakes, tires and a battery. I did have to have the radio antenna replaced because I knocked the old one off while washing the car. She still looks great and I get lots of comments on how nice it is. Not a rattle on her and she drives like a dream. It's a shame that the big 3 can't build them this good. Sporty style with a very comfortable interior. I'm 6' and weigh 280 pounds and am very comfortable in this car.

Style, reliability, fun to drive, zoom zoom baby!

I believe they fixed my only complaint on later models. That stupid antenna on the roof breaks pretty easily. Other than that, not a thing to improve!

Awesome Wagon
By Omar

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This wagon has been reliable since day one. I have done the oil changes on a regular basis, the only big thing so far was a vacuum leak. Fun to drive, nice paint job. Surprised Ford and Mazda have done a good job on this car.

Bose system, drive, steering. Looks.

None

Good Car !!!
By edblackmon

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has been real good to drive. It has a youthful look. Just enough room for small family. Gas is good with A/C. No problems with vehicle.

fun to drive experience. has go power but not over-berring.

no iPod intergration, aux input, nor sat radio.

Overall we love it
By maz5maz6

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new and have over 50K on it after 4.5 years. Only issues have been an LCD display problem (very recently at the 4.5 year mark so it's out of warranty) and the plastic around the lower end of the steering wheel column rubbing against something and sometimes "creaking" very low as you drive -- otherwise the fit and finish of the car was/is excellent. We avoided the 6cyl version as that was a Ford engine with noted reliability issues. Besides being a little underpowered, the 2.3 4cyl has been excellent so we bought the same the next year in our Mazda5 (which has also been excellent after 50K miles). Overall we've been very pleased with our Mazda6 "Sport" (hatchback).

Hatchback! 60/40 split rear seats + huge trunk carries tons incl 65lb dog+kennel, cat+kennel and our baby in the baby seat. Too bad hatch is not yet offered in the new 6. Front seats very comfy on long (8+ hrs) trips which is what orig sold us on the car after making a long trip in a rental Mazda 6.

Leverage Ford partnership to get the Sync as an option. Offer HID lights as well as adaptive lights (moves as you turn the wheel) as an option on the 6. Offer a hybrid in -any- true Mazda vehicle (the rebadged Ford Escape hybrid does not count -- I want Mazda reliability, not Ford reliability!)

Great Car!
By Lee

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the money (and even for cars that are more expensive), this car is phenomenal. GREAT sound system, very fast, comfortable, sleek features, many options that you cannot get with other non-luxury cars. Can't beat the performance, style, and overall quality for under $30,000. I used to have a Mercedes coup before the kids came along and this even beats that

Sound system, exterior design, performance

On the manual models, the leather on the shifter wears out quickly, seats can stain easily if you don't fabric- guard them