Used 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (64 reviews )

Bang for the Buck
By Jim D

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 20k miles on it, got a screaming deal - the market seems to be flooded with them right now. There are a few peeves with the car in terms of build quality compared with my older, Japan-built Mazda, but hey, if you need a station wagon and are on a limited budget this car is a heck of a choice and a lot of fun to drive. Handles like it's on rails, gets up and goes and turns heads. Before you settle for a Passat or waste your money on an Audi or Beemer, take the time to drive one. Zoom-zoom!

Looks, handling.

Fuel economy.

Nice car, but....
By rekow

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car loaded - everything except the leather. After a year and 26,000 miles, I still enjoy it, but it's not without faults. It's a good blend of utility, looks, comfort and sportiness. It does lots of things well, but nothing really great. It's quick enough, but doesn't inspire me to race (could use 30 more hp). It's fuel efficient enough, but no Civic. The handling is good, but only in dry weather (bad tire choice - I can't wait to replace them). It looks great (especially in black) and I still find myself staring at it. Definitely stands out in the crowd. The interior is well laid out. Seats are firm and comfortable, but the fabric pills up like a cheap sweater.

Handling (except in snow). Exterior styling (best looking wagon under $30,000). I recommend the rear spoiler option. Tilt-telescopic steering wheel, control lay-out. Rear cargo area. Good storage areas. I love the storage compartment on the upper center console.

Auto transmission is vague at low speeds (this car is far better on the highway than in the city). Needs higher quality materials on interior (seats). Better tires would improve things a lot. On all but the smoothest of pavements, these Michelins hum loudly. They're average in rain and terrible in snow.

Best wagon owned
By Tyler Turley

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this fantastic car for just over a year now and just love it! I have a family of 4 and have taken several long vacations in this car and there was plenty of cargo room and comfortable seating for everyone. I have had no problems with this car at all. I was a little disappointed in the gas mileage, sticker said 28 mpg and I'm getting about 22 or 23 mpg. Overall I'm very impressed with this car.

Stylish exterior, cargo room, road handling, and the Bose sound system.

The controls for the radio and air conditioning and cd player are a bit confusing until you get used to what they all do. Maybe next time they could simplify all the knobs.

Mazda 6
By Ricky

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this 2004 Mazda 6 V6 5 speed Automatic Wagon for about nine months. Love this car. The handling is rigid and confident. Cornering is exceptional. Autostick is fun to play with. Interior design is luxurious and comparable with German cars. Exterior design totally turn heads anywhere I go! The only down side is the fuel economy. I am getting 22 mpg average, I was expected a little more on this V6 wagon. So far, I am very happy with the car, no unexpected repairs so far. I just have been changing oil every 4000 miles (manufacture suggest 5000 miles) and also routine tire rotation and alignment.

Good handling. Head turning style. Expensive looking interior.

A little gas thirsty. My average 22 mpg. Replacing burnout headlights require a trip to the dealership!

Zoom Zoom with room
By midnightmike

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I had previously owned a Chevy Avalanche for my dj business. Even though I loved my truck, I felt it was time to downsize. I saw the Mazda wagon at the Chicago Auto Show. My wife and I liked the car very much. The next day, we bought one. She had a 2001 Protege so I knew about Mazda's reliability. This car handles all of my equipment without a problem. This car can really move and handle like a race car. I just love driving it. The color is Steel Gun Grey and it is fully loaded. Everyone I run into thinks it's a Dodge Magnum. The Dodge is too expensive and really isn't that much roomier than the 6. You really cannot beat the price of the 6 and everything you get for the money.

Looks, Bose sound system, tons of room with the seats folded.

Memory seats for the driver, and auto door lock when car is put into gear.

• SUV