2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Would Buy Another Tomorrow If I Had To
By slickride on 05/27/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my Mazda 6 in August of 2004. Has a 5 speed manual with sport package and Bose stereo. I have had zero problems with this car. Regular oil changes, new wipers every year (live in snow belt, CNY) and had to buy snow tires and new performance radials (I'm a sales man). I just rolled over 63,500 on the car and have had no major repairs with the exception of the front wheel bearing. Performance is excellent and gas mileage is great. Can't complain with 400 miles on a tank. Why anyone would buy anything else boggles the mind. Great quality and reliability for the money. The car was rear ended by an F150 at a red light, was fixed and no-one got hurt. That's reliability to me!

Total Package
By Faro on 05/24/08 05:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the 2nd owner, bought it with 67000 miles. Currently 76,000 in a little over 8 months. Had a 97 Prelude (auto trans) previous to this and I can say that this car handles just as predictable as the Prelude, which was lowered 2 inches all around. It has just the right amount of power to merge onto the highway, to cruise on the open road, as well as passing someone on the highway. I have the manual tranny and so far haven't had any problem. I do experience starter squeal from the clutch dust in the bearings, as well as a defunct CD player, and my fan control module went - causing the engine to overheat. The car does have its reliability issues, other than that, its a great all around car.

Mazda6 S 5 speed
By chedmardo on 04/08/08 12:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had it since new and would like to have more power with better gas mileage (don't we all?). It's been fantastic mechanically with only putting brakes on it and changing the oil. Still has the original plugs at 96000 miles!

Decent Enough
By Joey on 04/03/08 13:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04. 60K miles so far. Replaced all 4 tires and brakes and changed the oil regularly. Luckily no big problems. It's a good looking car that's fun to drive. I have the sport package with the automatic tranny (wish I got the manual). I like the car but the rear tires get cupped if you don't rotate them often enough. You also have to be careful washing it that you don't break off the cheap antenna (oops). When she's clean she gets lots of looks. There is also a little hesitation with the automatic tranny when you punch the throttle and it's very annoying. But still, a nice family car that doesn't look like one.

Giving It A Whirl!
By We'll See... on 03/31/08 06:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought my Mazda 6 this weekend. I'll give an update in a few months : ) So far, I'm loving it!

Great car
By Ihor on 02/19/08 13:03 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I don't know why people complaining about MPG, mine gets 25 in average - superb for 3.0L. It was 3 years last months and I'm reaching 81K mark soon. Nothing was broken and had to be replaced, no smell from oil change, etc.

Fun, practical, could be more efficient
By 1st time Mazda man on 01/28/08 20:34 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive and the hatchback version is very practical. A few things could have been better, like auto window buttons but this is a fine car and has been very reliable. The average gas mileage is probably only 19 mpg so this is probably the biggest shortcoming I can find.

Disappointed
By Dissapointed on 01/26/08 16:00 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Original Owner. Well Maintained commuter car. 50K miles. 6 Cyl. 5sp manual. Loaded. Squeaks and rattles everywhere. Lots of problems: Trany, Engine replacement, Brakes, exhaust, electrical, engine performance, suspension, steering, seat breaking, to name a few. Approx 20 times / year to dealers a year on average. Bad Dealer experiences(not very knowledgeable, poor service, poor quality work) and Mazda Customer Service did not seem to care. So much for Mazda advertising quality and taking care of the customer. Not in my experience. Did not like them doing computer updates without my permission. Hurt car's performance and they refused to reverse the updates.

Take it or leave it
By amanda2471 on 12/03/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like my mazda because its has a nice design, an amazing amount of space, and its a nice ride. I was also impressed at how nice the car was a really reasonable price. However it has not always been a very reliable car. At only 3000KM the fuel pump died and I didnt have a car for 2 months because the part was on back order in Japan. Then at 15000KM I had break problems and the break clips had to be replaced. Then last week at 58000KM the transmission died. My lease is up in appox 9 months and because of all the reliabilty problems I probably wont buy a mazda again.

Mazda, not as advertised
By Mazda, Disapointed on 10/17/07 20:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am original owner with 56K miles on it and mostly commuting/hwy miles. Loaded up 6cyl. Great car when I first got it. Handled great, but after that have had problems the entire ownership experience. Have had to try multiple dealerships as their knowledge, service and work quality is terrible. Mazda Customer service not helpful. Build quality and design is not good. 15 visits a year to a dealership not unusual for bad brake system, clutch, trany, engine, interior reattles, power steering, A/C, suspension, exhaust/CAT converters, etc. Mazda doesn't appear to be quality / customer focused. Engine (Ford Duratec) needed replacement at 46K with oil changes every 3K. Same engine as Ford Fusion