Used 2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Grab the 6 5-door
By internetmandude

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had to write a review regarding this car. I have the automatic. I test drove competing cars like the Camry and Altima (the Accord and Galant were too ugly to be considered) and the 6 won hands down. The 6 looked better than all the competitors, had many of their optional features standard and blew them away with the space of the 5-door that still looks like a cool sedan! The warranty is better at 4yrs/50,000 miles with free rental cars and roadside assistance! The price I paid for mine was also less than I would've paid for the other boring cars that you see at every single street light!

The interior and exterior. The radio controls on the steering wheel. The hatchback space. Standard sportshift automatic. The handling of the car and the pickup (once it gets going). Latches to fold down rear seats from back of trunk. Design of the seats. The list just goes on and on!

Only a couple of small issues with this great car. I got the top of the line Bose stereo and it sounds like the base stereo that came in my old Ford! Needs nav option like the 3. Mazda needs to market this car better because its sharp looks and useful configurations trump competition!

Pauls M6
By Kim

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

We drove many other cars in simular class, and size. Drove the Mazda last, mainly drove it for a fun ride didn't feel it would live up to what we wanted in a new car. To our surprise it surpassed all of our expectations. We chose the four cylinder, for the fuel economy. It is a little down on power but at 33 miles per gallon the very little we give up is made up in fun, and style. It has more class on the outside and the best in class interior design. The handling of the car is incredibly nimble on the 17" rims and Michellin Pilottires. All it took was one drive after driving many other cars more than twice. Great car at a great price.

Our favorite features would be the 40/60 split rear seat that is released individually by two handles easily located at the trunk opening. Also the Bose stereo system is excellent. Along with the controls for the stereo and the cruise on the steering wheel.

Find a way to add a turbo without the loss of fuel economy, and passenger eight way adjustable seat.

2nd time around
By tdogg

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd new Mazda. My 1992 MX6 was a piece of junk. I hope this car is built better. I have a 6i 5 door, auto,luxy package,6CD Bose. I ordered the car with roof and sercurity package , but Mazda could not fill that order. The roof and alarm were put in at the dealer. The gas milage is good. 28 mpg highway. The car is fun to drive and gets a lot of looks.

Bose, Lots of room, red gauges, fun to drive

Fog lights should be separate from the main head lights. Doors should lock when car is put in drive. Needs a trip computer.

Quickly forget it's a wagon
By mym6

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drive an automatic Redfire Sport Wagon with black cloth interior and the Bose and Sport packages. Great car for the money. Handling is superb, predictable and smooth most of the time. The engine mated with the 5 speed ATX is smooth most of the time but generally under powered for a V6. It lacks the low end grunt most Americans are looking for. Instead it offers smooth delivery that feels nearly the same throughout the RPM range. The transmission also likes to shift a bit too soon and is a bit busy between 40-50MPH, a TCM update from the Mazda dealer fixes this gripe however.

Looks and handling that lets you forget it's a wagon, six disc changer that sounds pretty decent for factory, loads of cargo space and the sport shift.

Door and center console arm rests could use more padding. Cloth seats are already showing excessive wear for 3000 miles. Engine needs work to fix a very rich condition on the top end. This would probably improve the rather poor fuel economy as well. (18 city)

Poor Factory Workmanship, Fit & Finish
By 6S Buyer

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Poor fit & finish, hood, bumper cover, fenders & front end accessories are out of alignment & a bent door. A loose windshield gasket and a rattle in the dash. I looked at Mazda6 cars on 3 dealer lots, each exhibiting similar poor exterior workmanship. I complained to both the dealer and Mazda corporate, all to no avail. Ignored for nearly 120 days, the Mazda factory rep finally told me that the poor workmanship "meets the factory standard." & that the bent door "may be" my fault. Examine your Mazda6, & note the hood & bumper cover alignment & the hood's over hang. I expected acknowledgement & timely service. I should have bought the Altima!

Handles very well

Address the customer service issues. No excuses for ignoring a customer for 4+ months. Quality controll statdards should be raised.