Used 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (63 reviews )

Consider the mileage
By kenny g

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a Mazda 6 wagon new in late 2004. Love the car except for 2 fatal flaws. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. At best 16 mpg in town and 21 on the road. Therefore I never drive it around town which is most of my driving. The mileage compares to a Hummer! The other fatal flaw is a super wide turning radius making city parking a real chore. It's very hard to get into tight urban parking spots. I've had 2 re-calls already in under 2 years while other Hondas/Toyotas I've owned never had any recalls. The car drives great, handles well and easily fits 4 adults and gear for a long road trip, but the awful mileage really bothers me!

Roomy, good value for price, plenty of power. Rear seats fold completely flat making it easier to stow a bike or skis.

Horrible gas mileage, so much for reducing our carbon footprint. The low rider tires/wheels are a dumb idea. You will bump curbs and trash the alloy wheels the first time you drive it.

nearly perfect family car for 4
By Bob

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a practical, fun, fast and economical car. No problems. Fuel economy has been 22 city and 28-30 hwy. The manual says gas tank should hold 18 gallons, but only holds 16.5. No wheel lock key came with the car, which caused surprise when time came to change tires. Not much range/warning when low fuel light comes on.

Great comfort, storage and style. 5 speed (hard to buy these days). Very sporty.

Thicker, softer steering wheel. I was not able to add tow hitch!

TERRIFIC CAR
By Hot Momma

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was glad to move up from a Mazda 626 4-cyl. to this 6 cyl. model--no problems merging onto an interstate in this car! Have the 5 speed version. I call this my Volvo station wagon on steroids--it reminds me of the Volvo 245 station wagon I had years ago: solid, dependable, safe. But the Mazda adds: acceleration, handling, pizazz.

First class design--everything is where it should be, within easy reach. Affordable for what you get.

Changing the time on the clock is a pain.

Unique and Stylish
By Battleaxe

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the first Mazda I've owned. It's been a great car for the past 2 years. I love the performance and styling. I get comments all the time asking what kind of car it is. I've only seen a few others on the road. Mileage isn't great, but at 220HP, I don't expect a lot, especially the way I drive. I really like the internal components in that the vents close completely, the controls are easy, auto temp AC, seat heaters. There's tons of room when the seats are down. Just a great car.

Sport Shifting, 6 Disc internal changer, tight leather, clean lines, steering wheel controls.

Too much brake dust.

Good value
By Bob

2004 Mazda 6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 18 months and have enjoyed the experience. Fun to drive and very sporty. Comfortable over the long trip. I just bought new tires after 43,000 miles as I plan to keep this one for a while longer.

Folding seats, easy access to rear cargo area. Nice cover. Spunky V6 gets you down the road.

Auto locks - scan feature on steering wheel control - rear DC outlet.