2004 Mazda Mazda6 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

2004 Mazda 6s 5-Dr
By Kurt Oosterlinck

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looks like it been awhile since anyone has commented on the 5 door model. Bought mine new and just turned 40,000 miles thanks to my short drive to work. The wagon got me in the dealership, but after the sales person pointed out they had a 5 door sedan, I was sold. The car was fully loaded with all the options and no problems at all in six years, body, paint, hardware all holding up very well. The 5-dr hss a sportier look than the 4-dr that still has a great look today. Much better handling than it's counterparts, and has plenty of zoom- zoom. Other than routine service every six months and tires, this car hasn't cost me a penny. City mpg 18, hwy 28-30. It's my 10 year car, maybe more.

Favorite Features

Style, 5th door, reliable, handling and performance, interior and equipment/options

Suggested Improvements

OEM tires only lasted 20.000 miles

Better cars out there
By greg

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is sharp looking and hatchback is awesome. Gas mileage and lack of hp is poor. Had a lot of brake rotor problems and a wheel bearing out at 50,000 miles. Eats tires every 30k despite correct alignment and quality tires. Car has excellent paint quality.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, style, comfort, ride

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel mileage, more power, better overall reliability, resale value

Nothing too fancy but a great family car
By jccables

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car very recently and have put about 200 miles on it and love the car so far. The handling on it for a front wheel drive wagon is superb for the price I paid for it ($9000) and the engine seems to have the power needed to haul the little bit of extra weight around all the time. Myself and my girlfriend have 3 kids between the two of us and we can all ride comfortable without a problem around town and still have enough room to pick up groceries if we need to. Traded my 02 xterra for better gas economy and a firmer ride. Didn't have a need for 2 SUVs

Favorite Features

Bose surround!, 4 wheel disc brakes, the wagon feature is a great thing to have for added cargo space, gas mileage over an SUV with all the room. The paint on the car seems to be of very high quality as well which is getting increasingly hard to find on any vehicle nowadays. Great car for the price!

Suggested Improvements

the back bumper sits out a little farther from the hatch than I'd like and as most people have stated the turning radius on the wagon is really bad. other than that i have no complaints at this time.

Love this Car!
By Mazda Lover

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love, love, love this car! This has been an amazing car! Drives and handles like a sports car. I have never had any major, or minor, problems with it. Part of the LCD display for the air vent was out when I bought it. I have the 4-cylinder manual and consistently get 32 MPG! This car handles well in all weather and elevations. Love the brakes and tight steering. Very responsive and smooth on the highway. I get lots of complements on the car and everyone that drives it loves it as well. I will be getting another Mazda when I finally have to part with this one.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, design, overall look of the car. Fuel economy, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda dealerships were difficult to work with.

Love at first Zoom
By ZoomZoom-NC

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a family we needed a third vehicle to cover our increasing transportation needs. We own a van and an SUV and thought a sedan would balance out the family vehicle situation. We bought this car after realizing that though many Civics and Camrys out there would certainly do, many were abused by their previous owners and made for a pretty shabby used car. The local Mazda dealer explained how Mazda owners tend to have a special bond with their car and treat it nicer, and after about a week with the Mazda6 I could completely understand why. I'll never buy from another car manufacturer again. Even though its a rock bottom base model, it still evokes some jealousy in my friends. They can't tell.

Favorite Features

Such a smooth ride, love the shiftable automatic transmission. Interior feels more like a sports car than a family sedan. Having a hatch but with sedan styling is perfect. Wish all cars were like that. Even though its 6 years old, it still gets about 27 mpg, much better than you'd expect really.

Suggested Improvements

Very few. My only complaint has been that the side front grill pieces have a tendency to pop backward out of their holes (when i go through the car wash and such). They stay in a small pocket behind the hole, and can be easily retrieved. You may have some trouble snapping it back in though.

Better than an Accord
By ADD

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and a 2004 Mazda6. Mazda6 wins in reliability and usability than the Honda hands down. However the Honda scores in engine power and feel of the car (partly because it is a 2.4 L coupe). I think the Honda gives a better mileage too. However the Mazda is awesome when it comes to reliability as I have not had to spend anything on it since I have owned it (fingers crossed!). I prefer the ride quality over Honda because of the quite engine and zippy steering.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better interiors!

Good Stuff
By rdn

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing is a rocket ship. The engine hums at speed. It has a great growl. The bad thing is the split personality. Gently drive this car and you feel like an old person cruizing around. Open the taps on this car and HOLD ON! It just goes. I had a Honda Civic before and this car runs a bit rougher...but this is another species altogether. The only major issue so far has been the drivers door handle which has broken...thanks to some ice and a weak spot....one morning gave it a pull and CRACK! The motor sounds awful when started and then wakes up. Need to get plugs changed... but that is normal. Would buy another.

Favorite Features

Speed, comfort, utility, appearance.

2004 Mazda 6 GT (V6 3.0L)
By Max

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car just about 2 weeks ago. As far as I can tell this is an amazing car. Not a single bad word to say! Although it's '04 it has only 72K km on it. Looks just like new, not a single scratch. Since it's V6 3.0L, you don't even have to press the gas, it's ready to take off by itself. I would defenitely recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

looks (when it's GT: spoiler, skirts, etc) Very powerful Lots of interior room. Amazing Bose audio system

Suggested Improvements

The turning circle might need an improvement as well as gas mileage.

More fun that you may think
By DL

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new, auto w/ manual shift, minimal other frills. Overall, it rides a bit like an Euro car, feels bit stiff but soaks up bumps well. I don't like how most Japanese cars wallow but then kick you when it gets bumpy. Engine w/ auto is slow-ish, but fast enough to get you into illegal speeds anyway. Handling is far above average; I find it more engaging even than my '09 G37. It did have a software glitch, stalled a couple of times the second year; fixed under warranty. No other problems in almost 95k miles driving in the punishing Boston climate/traffic/pothole combo. No regrets. If the new Mazda6 wasn't so corpulent, I'd get another one.

Favorite Features

Well-controlled ride, handling, manual shift for auto helps with merging onto busy highways, excellent (and std!) leather steering wheel with radio controls, good trunk layout/space w/o hinges to kill suitcases/boxes, excellent range on a tank of gas.

Suggested Improvements

Cheapo stereo, wish they still make them like this.

Hot hatch levels of performance in sedan
By Will Levine

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing. Sure, some of the car's interior feels cheap, and the comfort levels could be better, but remember this car was cheaper than all its rivals, yet drove even better. Performance is fantastic from the 220 bhp 3.0 V6 engine, sometimes you don't realize exactly how fast you're going. A complaint would be that the manual mode is jerky and dim-witted, and doesn't auto blip on the down shifts. Both down shifts and up shifts aren't instantaneous. Fuel economy is atrocious. Granted, I drive in a "spirited" manner, but i only average 17.4 mpg. I recommend the 4 cylinder model, that car weighs less, gets better mpg, and probably handles better. In short, it's great, buy it.

Favorite Features

Engine noise, bolstered seats, climate control, 3.0 V6, practicality and large trunk

Suggested Improvements

Less-cheap interior, more intelligent tiptronic automatic, and better fuel economy.