2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
2004 Mazda 6s 5-Dr
By Kurt Oosterlinck on 09/01/10 10:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looks like it been awhile since anyone has commented on the 5 door model. Bought mine new and just turned 40,000 miles thanks to my short drive to work. The wagon got me in the dealership, but after the sales person pointed out they had a 5 door sedan, I was sold. The car was fully loaded with all the options and no problems at all in six years, body, paint, hardware all holding up very well. The 5-dr hss a sportier look than the 4-dr that still has a great look today. Much better handling than it's counterparts, and has plenty of zoom- zoom. Other than routine service every six months and tires, this car hasn't cost me a penny. City mpg 18, hwy 28-30. It's my 10 year car, maybe more.

Better cars out there
By greg on 08/02/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is sharp looking and hatchback is awesome. Gas mileage and lack of hp is poor. Had a lot of brake rotor problems and a wheel bearing out at 50,000 miles. Eats tires every 30k despite correct alignment and quality tires. Car has excellent paint quality.

Nothing too fancy but a great family car
By jccables on 07/29/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car very recently and have put about 200 miles on it and love the car so far. The handling on it for a front wheel drive wagon is superb for the price I paid for it ($9000) and the engine seems to have the power needed to haul the little bit of extra weight around all the time. Myself and my girlfriend have 3 kids between the two of us and we can all ride comfortable without a problem around town and still have enough room to pick up groceries if we need to. Traded my 02 xterra for better gas economy and a firmer ride. Didn't have a need for 2 SUVs

Love this Car!
By Mazda Lover on 06/13/10 11:35 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love, love, love this car! This has been an amazing car! Drives and handles like a sports car. I have never had any major, or minor, problems with it. Part of the LCD display for the air vent was out when I bought it. I have the 4-cylinder manual and consistently get 32 MPG! This car handles well in all weather and elevations. Love the brakes and tight steering. Very responsive and smooth on the highway. I get lots of complements on the car and everyone that drives it loves it as well. I will be getting another Mazda when I finally have to part with this one.

Love at first Zoom
By ZoomZoom-NC on 06/09/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a family we needed a third vehicle to cover our increasing transportation needs. We own a van and an SUV and thought a sedan would balance out the family vehicle situation. We bought this car after realizing that though many Civics and Camrys out there would certainly do, many were abused by their previous owners and made for a pretty shabby used car. The local Mazda dealer explained how Mazda owners tend to have a special bond with their car and treat it nicer, and after about a week with the Mazda6 I could completely understand why. I'll never buy from another car manufacturer again. Even though its a rock bottom base model, it still evokes some jealousy in my friends. They can't tell.

Better than an Accord
By ADD on 05/09/10 15:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and a 2004 Mazda6. Mazda6 wins in reliability and usability than the Honda hands down. However the Honda scores in engine power and feel of the car (partly because it is a 2.4 L coupe). I think the Honda gives a better mileage too. However the Mazda is awesome when it comes to reliability as I have not had to spend anything on it since I have owned it (fingers crossed!). I prefer the ride quality over Honda because of the quite engine and zippy steering.

Good Stuff
By rdn on 04/24/10 19:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing is a rocket ship. The engine hums at speed. It has a great growl. The bad thing is the split personality. Gently drive this car and you feel like an old person cruizing around. Open the taps on this car and HOLD ON! It just goes. I had a Honda Civic before and this car runs a bit rougher...but this is another species altogether. The only major issue so far has been the drivers door handle which has broken...thanks to some ice and a weak spot....one morning gave it a pull and CRACK! The motor sounds awful when started and then wakes up. Need to get plugs changed... but that is normal. Would buy another.

2004 Mazda 6 GT (V6 3.0L)
By Max on 04/24/10 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car just about 2 weeks ago. As far as I can tell this is an amazing car. Not a single bad word to say! Although it's '04 it has only 72K km on it. Looks just like new, not a single scratch. Since it's V6 3.0L, you don't even have to press the gas, it's ready to take off by itself. I would defenitely recommend it to anyone!

More fun that you may think
By DL on 02/09/10 19:06 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new, auto w/ manual shift, minimal other frills. Overall, it rides a bit like an Euro car, feels bit stiff but soaks up bumps well. I don't like how most Japanese cars wallow but then kick you when it gets bumpy. Engine w/ auto is slow-ish, but fast enough to get you into illegal speeds anyway. Handling is far above average; I find it more engaging even than my '09 G37. It did have a software glitch, stalled a couple of times the second year; fixed under warranty. No other problems in almost 95k miles driving in the punishing Boston climate/traffic/pothole combo. No regrets. If the new Mazda6 wasn't so corpulent, I'd get another one.

Hot hatch levels of performance in sedan
By Will Levine on 01/17/10 15:26 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing. Sure, some of the car's interior feels cheap, and the comfort levels could be better, but remember this car was cheaper than all its rivals, yet drove even better. Performance is fantastic from the 220 bhp 3.0 V6 engine, sometimes you don't realize exactly how fast you're going. A complaint would be that the manual mode is jerky and dim-witted, and doesn't auto blip on the down shifts. Both down shifts and up shifts aren't instantaneous. Fuel economy is atrocious. Granted, I drive in a "spirited" manner, but i only average 17.4 mpg. I recommend the 4 cylinder model, that car weighs less, gets better mpg, and probably handles better. In short, it's great, buy it.