2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon - Consumer Reviews

s 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (62 reviews )
Love it!
By michiganman25 on 01/29/11 21:19 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my wagon in March 2010 with 100k on the odometer, now has 118k on it and going strong. The not so great: Just replaced shocks and struts, which was not cheap but now she drives like a new car. I've also replaced a belt tensioner and a power steering line in the year i've had it. The back hatch has always been tricky to open, and i havent been thrilled with the paint quality, but it still looks beautiful when its cleaned up. The good: Runs like a champ, tons of cargo space, nice interior, handles great, awesome bose sound system, and lots of other great options. I get compliments on it all the time, it is one sexy wagon!

So Far It's Good
By meathead1986 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for a few months and so far I couldn't be much happier with my purchase. I was told when i bought it that the catalytic converters had already been replaced in it which disappointed me but we made the purchase anyways. The ride on the new Hancock tires was amazing. For a front wheel drive car this thing handles amazing. The hatch offers a lot of potential for mass cargo so I intend to use it next year for a cross country trip. Gas mileage could be a little better but when switching from an SUV I can't really complain all that much. The only bad thing about the vehicle I've found is the turning radius. It's pretty horrible and my old SUV could out turn it.

Good Stuff
By rdn on 04/24/10 19:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing is a rocket ship. The engine hums at speed. It has a great growl. The bad thing is the split personality. Gently drive this car and you feel like an old person cruizing around. Open the taps on this car and HOLD ON! It just goes. I had a Honda Civic before and this car runs a bit rougher...but this is another species altogether. The only major issue so far has been the drivers door handle which has broken...thanks to some ice and a weak spot....one morning gave it a pull and CRACK! The motor sounds awful when started and then wakes up. Need to get plugs changed... but that is normal. Would buy another.

Reliable and Worth the Cost
By John K on 09/19/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been an excellent and fun car to own.

Awesome Wagon
By Omar on 06/19/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This wagon has been reliable since day one. I have done the oil changes on a regular basis, the only big thing so far was a vacuum leak. Fun to drive, nice paint job. Surprised Ford and Mazda have done a good job on this car.

Fun, But Thirsty
By Matt on 05/04/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Based on extensive Edmunds.COM research, I decided to purchase an '04 6s Wagon. I considered the Outback Impreza, but at 6'1" and desiring a powerful V6, I went with the Mazda. I love the style of the car and the power of the V6, but have noticed pretty horrendous gas mileage since day 1 (17-22 mpg (max)). There is a ton of cargo space in this car. I can fit a full adult bike, golf clubs, and luggage for 2 for a week with the seats folded down. Long road trips are pretty comfortable, although the low ground clearance makes getting in and out cumbersome. Recently, thick plumes of gray smoke emit upon startup. Dealer is perplexed. 3 weeks in the shop on 3 occasions yielded nothing.

Get one
By willsing4gumbo on 09/06/08 10:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace a Miata lost to Katrina. I absolutely love it! This is my 11th Mazda. Have only had to do oil and other fluid changes, and put a set of tires on it at 50K. I swapped the noisy Michelins for Riken Raptors and it handles as if on rails. I use it to haul my kayaks, and it performs well loaded down with two 14 foot ocean kayaks

Re-review after several years
By Jeff in Durham NC on 08/01/08 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Unhappy originally due to build quality and still annoyed by intermittent rattles in dash. Also thought the ride was too harsh; replaced the original Michelins (lasted only 33k miles!) with Hankooks and it was like getting a new car...still handles well but doesn't jar your teeth loose on every pothole. About 58K miles now and have done front brakes, tires, a battery and oil changes every 3k and this thing just runs like a champ. Still looks good and since they're not going to offer the new 6 in a wagon, I'm going to hang onto this thing - nothing else out there tempts me yet. First car I've had that I like more as time goes on. Normally by now I'd be itching to trade.

2004 Sport Wagon
By cbohrer on 09/27/07 08:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used with 56K on it. Love the handling and the styling. Different than the typical midsize car. I get a lot of double takes when driving it. Handles as well as my BMW 528it. Good size vehicle. Comfortable ride and good visibility. Only have had the oil changed, no problems yet. Plenty of get up and go, but the mileage could be better. I drive mostly interstate and have been averaging 26-27 MPG. I used to get nearly 30 MPG on the Bimmer, and it was bigger and heavier. It is noisier on the road, but this could be the tires on it. Two are OEM and two are different brand. I like the dash lighting.

Consider the mileage
By kenny g on 04/13/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Wagon s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a Mazda 6 wagon new in late 2004. Love the car except for 2 fatal flaws. It gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. At best 16 mpg in town and 21 on the road. Therefore I never drive it around town which is most of my driving. The mileage compares to a Hummer! The other fatal flaw is a super wide turning radius making city parking a real chore. It's very hard to get into tight urban parking spots. I've had 2 re-calls already in under 2 years while other Hondas/Toyotas I've owned never had any recalls. The car drives great, handles well and easily fits 4 adults and gear for a long road trip, but the awful mileage really bothers me!