Used 2004 Mazda 6 i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

I've loved it for the last 4 years.
By sranco

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in the summer of 09 with 129k on it. It now has 157k on it and I still love it. It has great handling and decent power for a 4 cylinder. These cars have a very good suspension IMO. It can handle tight turns at good speeds without offering too stiff of a ride. Mine has 17 inch tires, which probably makes a bit of a difference over the stock 16's. The interior is also well appointed and really comes alive at night with the interior lighting. If you like to play golf this car will also suit you well, there is easily enough room for 3 golf bags. The back seat can be a little tight though.

Body styling looks great, even after 9 years. Performance is good. Big trunk, even more with the back seats down. Nice sounding stereo with good base. Love the feel of the steering wheel.

Could have used an extra 10hp. You need a special tool to change your own oil. Car has a few interior rattles. No Aux. imput.

Love this Car!
By Mazda Lover

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love, love, love this car! This has been an amazing car! Drives and handles like a sports car. I have never had any major, or minor, problems with it. Part of the LCD display for the air vent was out when I bought it. I have the 4-cylinder manual and consistently get 32 MPG! This car handles well in all weather and elevations. Love the brakes and tight steering. Very responsive and smooth on the highway. I get lots of complements on the car and everyone that drives it loves it as well. I will be getting another Mazda when I finally have to part with this one.

Handling, brakes, design, overall look of the car. Fuel economy, low maintenance.

Mazda dealerships were difficult to work with.

Better than an Accord
By ADD

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and a 2004 Mazda6. Mazda6 wins in reliability and usability than the Honda hands down. However the Honda scores in engine power and feel of the car (partly because it is a 2.4 L coupe). I think the Honda gives a better mileage too. However the Mazda is awesome when it comes to reliability as I have not had to spend anything on it since I have owned it (fingers crossed!). I prefer the ride quality over Honda because of the quite engine and zippy steering.

Quiet engine, reliability

Better interiors!

More fun that you may think
By DL

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this new, auto w/ manual shift, minimal other frills. Overall, it rides a bit like an Euro car, feels bit stiff but soaks up bumps well. I don't like how most Japanese cars wallow but then kick you when it gets bumpy. Engine w/ auto is slow-ish, but fast enough to get you into illegal speeds anyway. Handling is far above average; I find it more engaging even than my '09 G37. It did have a software glitch, stalled a couple of times the second year; fixed under warranty. No other problems in almost 95k miles driving in the punishing Boston climate/traffic/pothole combo. No regrets. If the new Mazda6 wasn't so corpulent, I'd get another one.

Well-controlled ride, handling, manual shift for auto helps with merging onto busy highways, excellent (and std!) leather steering wheel with radio controls, good trunk layout/space w/o hinges to kill suitcases/boxes, excellent range on a tank of gas.

Cheapo stereo, wish they still make them like this.

Great Bang for the Buck!
By VengefulTick

2004 Mazda 6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new for my wife in early 2004. We broke it in by driving it from Colorado Springs, CO to Anchorage, AK via Canada. It has never let us down, always been a great car

Fun to drive! Interior space/design, exterior design.

None for the money.