2004 Mazda Mazda6 i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

diy Mazda 6s 5spd owner
By maz6s

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since 07, my 04 6s(v6) has been strong. I bought it at ~60,000 miles. All maintenance done early except the spark plugs. Don't drive too long with a misfire/vacuum leak/hesitation. Lucky I had knowledge of precat failure prevention so I didn't find out the hard way like others...keep an eye on fluid level and color esp oil. Since about 90-100,000 miles I noticed the oil level drops a lil every 1500 miles which is normal on most vehicles. Don't trust oil change places, they only pour 5qts in, but this engine takes 6...oh and Honda seekers don't buy Automatic Accords, my wife's tranny died@100,000 miles...fluid drained and filled every 10,000 miles since 40,000 miles. 2004 Accord EX V6. Thx

Favorite Features

5speed manual is a must, sporty suspension, bose system, auto climate control, the whole body design, trunk space, 24v v6, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats, headliner, vc gaskets could be better.

beautiful car piss poor reliability
By blaznazn22

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car 2 months ago for $3000 at an auction with 196000km on it, or about 129k miles. There oil kept disappearing quickly and I didn't know where it was going. After about $2000 in repairs and getting some tires and rims, I find out that the cars' engine is through. It was burning oil rapidly, the reason for that was the piston rings being worn out, and the reason for piston rings being worn out was the catalytic converter melting and blocking the exhaust creating excessive back pressure. Not to mention the EGR valve recirulating exhaust gases as well as other particles into the engine which also screwed the engine over. Very piss poor design by mazda.

Favorite Features

the body design is beautiful, it looks better than 90% of the cars out there even though its 10 years old

Suggested Improvements

poor engineering design, ford/mazda engineers should be fired over this.

I've loved it for the last 4 years.
By sranco

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in the summer of 09 with 129k on it. It now has 157k on it and I still love it. It has great handling and decent power for a 4 cylinder. These cars have a very good suspension IMO. It can handle tight turns at good speeds without offering too stiff of a ride. Mine has 17 inch tires, which probably makes a bit of a difference over the stock 16's. The interior is also well appointed and really comes alive at night with the interior lighting. If you like to play golf this car will also suit you well, there is easily enough room for 3 golf bags. The back seat can be a little tight though.

Favorite Features

Body styling looks great, even after 9 years. Performance is good. Big trunk, even more with the back seats down. Nice sounding stereo with good base. Love the feel of the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used an extra 10hp. You need a special tool to change your own oil. Car has a few interior rattles. No Aux. imput.

Expensive
By kingshahid

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car was bought in 2007 at 180,000km. The car gave nothing but expensive bills for maintenance. One by one everything kept breaking down each month. No bill was smaller than $200. Its very consumptive of gas. It always had problems. The good side is has a very nicely designed car interior and exterior. When its working properly it can be comfortable and fun. Unfortunately Mazda failed at providing reliability - I always feared with this car if I would make it from point a to point b or not.

Favorite Features

Interior design, boss system, power everything, tiptronic.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption, Reliability

Very Good Choice
By fordmazda29

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a week now and I can say that I really enjoy having this car. I purchased it used for $9k with 82,000 miles on it and this thing is loaded. I love the seats, they are supportive and comfortable. I love the stereo, the bass is good, but not overpowering. The speaker quality (bose) more than makes up for the lack of speakers. The engine makes a good noise, and is pretty quick. It doesn't take much to get this car up to speed. Unfortunately, the transmission is a bit dim-witted and definitely hampers the cars 0-60 time. I reckon that this car will do 0-60 more than a second faster if you went with the manual. Good build quality, good ride, and well equipped.

Favorite Features

The ride is good The steering is neither too light or too heavy (and offers decent feedback) The handling is good The sound system (if you go for the Bose system) is excellent. The seats are supportive and comfortable. The engine. The build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic gearbox is dimwitted and hampers the cars performance. The turning radius is terrible. I have driven midsize SUVs with smaller turning radius than this. No Aux input jack (though I did have one installed). The sun roof should have a one touch open and close feature. Ground clearance is a little lower than I am used to. Although it has climate control, it is not dual zone. Automatic climate control requires A/C to be on (even when heating).

Good Car
By mazdamigirl

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Mazda 6 I (automatic not manual) from a dealership with 40 K on it in 2009. Today I have put another 40 K on it and it runs well. Wheels do wear more on the front half, came fully loaded and has traction control and ABS. This is not handy when driving up steep, snow covered/mush hills in the winter. Other than that, found a crack in the windshield but has not leaked into car. Display for CD player is loosing pixels or dots so volume does not display fully sometimes. Other than that, good car, bad with gas due to V6 engine. Newer models have better mileage.

Favorite Features

CD player, sport model, low to the ground

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for automatic models.

2004 Mazda 6s 5-Dr
By Kurt Oosterlinck

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Looks like it been awhile since anyone has commented on the 5 door model. Bought mine new and just turned 40,000 miles thanks to my short drive to work. The wagon got me in the dealership, but after the sales person pointed out they had a 5 door sedan, I was sold. The car was fully loaded with all the options and no problems at all in six years, body, paint, hardware all holding up very well. The 5-dr hss a sportier look than the 4-dr that still has a great look today. Much better handling than it's counterparts, and has plenty of zoom- zoom. Other than routine service every six months and tires, this car hasn't cost me a penny. City mpg 18, hwy 28-30. It's my 10 year car, maybe more.

Favorite Features

Style, 5th door, reliable, handling and performance, interior and equipment/options

Suggested Improvements

OEM tires only lasted 20.000 miles

Love this Car!
By Mazda Lover

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love, love, love this car! This has been an amazing car! Drives and handles like a sports car. I have never had any major, or minor, problems with it. Part of the LCD display for the air vent was out when I bought it. I have the 4-cylinder manual and consistently get 32 MPG! This car handles well in all weather and elevations. Love the brakes and tight steering. Very responsive and smooth on the highway. I get lots of complements on the car and everyone that drives it loves it as well. I will be getting another Mazda when I finally have to part with this one.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, design, overall look of the car. Fuel economy, low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda dealerships were difficult to work with.

Better than an Accord
By ADD

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Coupe and a 2004 Mazda6. Mazda6 wins in reliability and usability than the Honda hands down. However the Honda scores in engine power and feel of the car (partly because it is a 2.4 L coupe). I think the Honda gives a better mileage too. However the Mazda is awesome when it comes to reliability as I have not had to spend anything on it since I have owned it (fingers crossed!). I prefer the ride quality over Honda because of the quite engine and zippy steering.

Favorite Features

Quiet engine, reliability

Suggested Improvements

Better interiors!

2004 Mazda 6 GT (V6 3.0L)
By Max

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Sedan s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car just about 2 weeks ago. As far as I can tell this is an amazing car. Not a single bad word to say! Although it's '04 it has only 72K km on it. Looks just like new, not a single scratch. Since it's V6 3.0L, you don't even have to press the gas, it's ready to take off by itself. I would defenitely recommend it to anyone!

Favorite Features

looks (when it's GT: spoiler, skirts, etc) Very powerful Lots of interior room. Amazing Bose audio system

Suggested Improvements

The turning circle might need an improvement as well as gas mileage.