2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Better cars out there
By greg on 08/02/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is sharp looking and hatchback is awesome. Gas mileage and lack of hp is poor. Had a lot of brake rotor problems and a wheel bearing out at 50,000 miles. Eats tires every 30k despite correct alignment and quality tires. Car has excellent paint quality.

Nothing too fancy but a great family car
By jccables on 07/29/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car very recently and have put about 200 miles on it and love the car so far. The handling on it for a front wheel drive wagon is superb for the price I paid for it ($9000) and the engine seems to have the power needed to haul the little bit of extra weight around all the time. Myself and my girlfriend have 3 kids between the two of us and we can all ride comfortable without a problem around town and still have enough room to pick up groceries if we need to. Traded my 02 xterra for better gas economy and a firmer ride. Didn't have a need for 2 SUVs

Love at first Zoom
By ZoomZoom-NC on 06/09/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a family we needed a third vehicle to cover our increasing transportation needs. We own a van and an SUV and thought a sedan would balance out the family vehicle situation. We bought this car after realizing that though many Civics and Camrys out there would certainly do, many were abused by their previous owners and made for a pretty shabby used car. The local Mazda dealer explained how Mazda owners tend to have a special bond with their car and treat it nicer, and after about a week with the Mazda6 I could completely understand why. I'll never buy from another car manufacturer again. Even though its a rock bottom base model, it still evokes some jealousy in my friends. They can't tell.

Disappointed...
By B Raymond on 01/03/10 17:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 20,000 mi. LOVED this car, how it drove how it looked, the amount of room. But after about a year every few months we had to replace something: the clutch, the shocks, tires (2x), and air box system. Finally the engine in the car blew due to a cracked seal that caused the oil to leak dry(the oil was changed every 3000 mi). the carpeting is coming off in the cabin area and the drivers side speaker goes in and out. So we are getting rid of the car (after taking a huge hit on the loan) and never buying another mazda.

Overall we love it
By maz5maz6 on 06/01/09 09:08 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new and have over 50K on it after 4.5 years. Only issues have been an LCD display problem (very recently at the 4.5 year mark so it's out of warranty) and the plastic around the lower end of the steering wheel column rubbing against something and sometimes "creaking" very low as you drive -- otherwise the fit and finish of the car was/is excellent. We avoided the 6cyl version as that was a Ford engine with noted reliability issues. Besides being a little underpowered, the 2.3 4cyl has been excellent so we bought the same the next year in our Mazda5 (which has also been excellent after 50K miles). Overall we've been very pleased with our Mazda6 "Sport" (hatchback).

I LOVE IT!
By Ashley R. on 09/08/08 15:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ive had my car for a few years now and can say that I'm very satisfied, I get so many comments on the car cause it looks like something that would cost a lot more then it actually dose. I get great gas mileage I get about 28.5 mpg. The car handles like a go kart, and has the looks to back it up.

Perfect car
By John Mathews on 09/08/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 4 years now and can say its been a pleasure. I get about 27 mpg, car has not had a single problem also has plenty of room and power. The trunk on this car is HUGE!!

Bang for the buck
By JohnTaylor on 09/02/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 6 used and have had it for 2 1/2 years.. The car has been a pleasure to own everything has been beyond expectations.. The car has plenty of power and great MPG I avg 26-27 mpg with the V-6 something hard to find now days. The car is just right for the the new dad, that still wants something sporty to put the baby seat in. The car has been 100% reliable not a single problem and the inside of these things is so nice looks like a vehicle that would cost so much more.

WOW
By larrybrwn on 06/02/08 11:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Who says you can't have it all in the same package and have it be affordable never owned a Mazda! Way to go guys. Cant wait for my next one. That is if this one ever dies. 80,000 miles on it now and still no problems!

Fun, practical, could be more efficient
By 1st time Mazda man on 01/28/08 20:34 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 Hatchback s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive and the hatchback version is very practical. A few things could have been better, like auto window buttons but this is a fine car and has been very reliable. The average gas mileage is probably only 19 mpg so this is probably the biggest shortcoming I can find.