2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
Better cars out there
By greg on 08/02/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is sharp looking and hatchback is awesome. Gas mileage and lack of hp is poor. Had a lot of brake rotor problems and a wheel bearing out at 50,000 miles. Eats tires every 30k despite correct alignment and quality tires. Car has excellent paint quality.

Nothing too fancy but a great family car
By jccables on 07/29/10 15:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car very recently and have put about 200 miles on it and love the car so far. The handling on it for a front wheel drive wagon is superb for the price I paid for it ($9000) and the engine seems to have the power needed to haul the little bit of extra weight around all the time. Myself and my girlfriend have 3 kids between the two of us and we can all ride comfortable without a problem around town and still have enough room to pick up groceries if we need to. Traded my 02 xterra for better gas economy and a firmer ride. Didn't have a need for 2 SUVs

Disappointed...
By B Raymond on 01/03/10 17:51 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 20,000 mi. LOVED this car, how it drove how it looked, the amount of room. But after about a year every few months we had to replace something: the clutch, the shocks, tires (2x), and air box system. Finally the engine in the car blew due to a cracked seal that caused the oil to leak dry(the oil was changed every 3000 mi). the carpeting is coming off in the cabin area and the drivers side speaker goes in and out. So we are getting rid of the car (after taking a huge hit on the loan) and never buying another mazda.

I LOVE IT!
By Ashley R. on 09/08/08 15:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ive had my car for a few years now and can say that I'm very satisfied, I get so many comments on the car cause it looks like something that would cost a lot more then it actually dose. I get great gas mileage I get about 28.5 mpg. The car handles like a go kart, and has the looks to back it up.

Perfect car
By John Mathews on 09/08/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 4 years now and can say its been a pleasure. I get about 27 mpg, car has not had a single problem also has plenty of room and power. The trunk on this car is HUGE!!

Bang for the buck
By JohnTaylor on 09/02/08 09:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 6 used and have had it for 2 1/2 years.. The car has been a pleasure to own everything has been beyond expectations.. The car has plenty of power and great MPG I avg 26-27 mpg with the V-6 something hard to find now days. The car is just right for the the new dad, that still wants something sporty to put the baby seat in. The car has been 100% reliable not a single problem and the inside of these things is so nice looks like a vehicle that would cost so much more.

Fun, practical, could be more efficient
By 1st time Mazda man on 01/28/08 20:34 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive and the hatchback version is very practical. A few things could have been better, like auto window buttons but this is a fine car and has been very reliable. The average gas mileage is probably only 19 mpg so this is probably the biggest shortcoming I can find.

Great car, but unreliable at times
By OwnerInTorrance on 09/02/07 14:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my Mazda6s hatchback for 3.5 years now. It's been a good, not great car. I love the looks and sportiness versus the Accord and Camry - a fun car for a young dad. However, I've had several maintenance issues that have kept the car in the shop more than I would have liked - starter, water pump, radiator all had to be replaced, axle seal leaking, among other things. It was all covered by warranty, but still a pain. On top of all this, my gas mileage is less than I hoped, around 15 mpg when I was hoping for closer to 20 mpg.

Fun little car!
By mrcook128 on 03/30/07 11:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I must confess that I got my 6 with the 5 speed auto. It is still a fun car. The V6 is very smooth but will start barking at about 4,000rpm. The car is fairly linear through the turns with great steering feel the whole way. The transmission has a tendency to hunt for gears. In two years I have done nothing more than routine maintenance every 6 months - a dream compared to my last car. I still have not gotten over how pretty this car is inside and out. With the hatchback design it swallows everything we need to carry. Gas mileage! It is rated at 19/26, but in mixed driving I never seem to do better than 18 or 19. Interior is comfortable but wind noise is abundant. Opt for the Bose!

my Mazda 6
By jeremy j on 10/22/06 19:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Mazda 6 and would recommend it to anyone. I test drove lots of other cars including an accord, an Altima and a Maxima and although some offered more power, they do not handle nearly as well as my 6. Overall, I love to drive it and am very happy with my purchase even 2 1/2 years later.