Used 2004 Mazda 6 i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

awesome mazda
By cuda67

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I"ve had this car since 2008 it had 178,000 miles on it now it has 250,000 mileson it. The still drives like it was new. The hatch back is so awesome and gives the car a sporty profile. I still get 29mpg with a 4speed AT. The car has more then pad for it's self in value.

Love at first Zoom
By ZoomZoom-NC

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

As a family we needed a third vehicle to cover our increasing transportation needs. We own a van and an SUV and thought a sedan would balance out the family vehicle situation. We bought this car after realizing that though many Civics and Camrys out there would certainly do, many were abused by their previous owners and made for a pretty shabby used car. The local Mazda dealer explained how Mazda owners tend to have a special bond with their car and treat it nicer, and after about a week with the Mazda6 I could completely understand why. I'll never buy from another car manufacturer again. Even though its a rock bottom base model, it still evokes some jealousy in my friends. They can't tell.

Favorite Features

Such a smooth ride, love the shiftable automatic transmission. Interior feels more like a sports car than a family sedan. Having a hatch but with sedan styling is perfect. Wish all cars were like that. Even though its 6 years old, it still gets about 27 mpg, much better than you'd expect really.

Suggested Improvements

Very few. My only complaint has been that the side front grill pieces have a tendency to pop backward out of their holes (when i go through the car wash and such). They stay in a small pocket behind the hole, and can be easily retrieved. You may have some trouble snapping it back in though.

Overall we love it
By maz5maz6

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this new and have over 50K on it after 4.5 years. Only issues have been an LCD display problem (very recently at the 4.5 year mark so it's out of warranty) and the plastic around the lower end of the steering wheel column rubbing against something and sometimes "creaking" very low as you drive -- otherwise the fit and finish of the car was/is excellent. We avoided the 6cyl version as that was a Ford engine with noted reliability issues. Besides being a little underpowered, the 2.3 4cyl has been excellent so we bought the same the next year in our Mazda5 (which has also been excellent after 50K miles). Overall we've been very pleased with our Mazda6 "Sport" (hatchback).

Favorite Features

Hatchback! 60/40 split rear seats + huge trunk carries tons incl 65lb dog+kennel, cat+kennel and our baby in the baby seat. Too bad hatch is not yet offered in the new 6. Front seats very comfy on long (8+ hrs) trips which is what orig sold us on the car after making a long trip in a rental Mazda 6.

Suggested Improvements

Leverage Ford partnership to get the Sync as an option. Offer HID lights as well as adaptive lights (moves as you turn the wheel) as an option on the 6. Offer a hybrid in -any- true Mazda vehicle (the rebadged Ford Escape hybrid does not count -- I want Mazda reliability, not Ford reliability!)

WOW
By larrybrwn

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Who says you can't have it all in the same package and have it be affordable never owned a Mazda! Way to go guys. Cant wait for my next one. That is if this one ever dies. 80,000 miles on it now and still no problems!

Favorite Features

The entire design and style of this car is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.3L 4 cyl needs more punch.

Take it or leave it
By amanda2471

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I like my mazda because its has a nice design, an amazing amount of space, and its a nice ride. I was also impressed at how nice the car was a really reasonable price. However it has not always been a very reliable car. At only 3000KM the fuel pump died and I didnt have a car for 2 months because the part was on back order in Japan. Then at 15000KM I had break problems and the break clips had to be replaced. Then last week at 58000KM the transmission died. My lease is up in appox 9 months and because of all the reliabilty problems I probably wont buy a mazda again.

Favorite Features

Nice design, smooth ride, and a lot of extra space.

Suggested Improvements

Mazda needs to work out the kinks in reliability issues.