Used 2004 Mazda Mazda6 s Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

the plus-size Mazda 3
By treeweezel

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like how the wagon looks like a grown-up Mazda3 both in size and style. Classed-up, but still with some spunk. We have a BMW 530 wagon near identical in size, power and age, and there is absolutely no deprivation in taking the Mazda. More trunk and backseat, even. The 3.0 V6 brings the heat at high revs, but feels like much less engine at lower revs. Gutless under 2000 rpm and an absolute dog below 1500 rpm, you'll need to shift often. First gear is tall and if you let the clutch in too fast it'll really leave you out to dry. The engine also goes through oil and spark plugs kinda quickly, and the lack of replaceable fuel filter worries me.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, handling, shifting, power, appearance

Suggested Improvements

Engine is not suited to the car unless you are a very aggressive driver, it's annoyingly torque-less in the day-to-day. MPG is an SUV-like low 20's. Cargo cover is noisy. Rear seatback folds down easily, but the seat bottoms don't fold up (hinge up toward the driver seatback). I like to put seat bottoms up for a taller load area than the cargo area, but you can't do that here. Stereo plays radio and cd only, no input and no cassette deck to use with adapter. No MP3s on CD either. Bose audio is quite muddy in midrange through bass.

Love it!
By michiganman25

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my wagon in March 2010 with 100k on the odometer, now has 118k on it and going strong. The not so great: Just replaced shocks and struts, which was not cheap but now she drives like a new car. I've also replaced a belt tensioner and a power steering line in the year i've had it. The back hatch has always been tricky to open, and i havent been thrilled with the paint quality, but it still looks beautiful when its cleaned up. The good: Runs like a champ, tons of cargo space, nice interior, handles great, awesome bose sound system, and lots of other great options. I get compliments on it all the time, it is one sexy wagon!

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, heated seats, steering wheel controls audio controls, interior and exterior styling, cargo space-back seats fold down very easily to create flat cargo space, highway mileage is pretty good, handling. Power from the Ford-supplied V6 is good, motor has a nice, throaty sound when you really get on it. Not as fast or as smooth as my Accord V6, but still very satisfying.

Suggested Improvements

I wish an auxillary connection were standard. Clutch feel leaves something to be desired. Rear hatch mechanism has not held up. Paint chips pretty easily, which is an issue i've had with the japanese cars i've owned.It also seems as though rustproofing of certain parts leaves something to be desired. The power steering line i replaced was leaking because the gaskets corroded away, i just had a heat shield removed b/c the fasteners rusted off, and when my shocks/struts were being replaced the mechanic actually had to cut off my sway bar links b/c they were rusted on. This car has spent its life in the rust belt, so perhaps this is understandable. Overall, I love the car.

So Far It's Good
By meathead1986

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for a few months and so far I couldn't be much happier with my purchase. I was told when i bought it that the catalytic converters had already been replaced in it which disappointed me but we made the purchase anyways. The ride on the new Hancock tires was amazing. For a front wheel drive car this thing handles amazing. The hatch offers a lot of potential for mass cargo so I intend to use it next year for a cross country trip. Gas mileage could be a little better but when switching from an SUV I can't really complain all that much. The only bad thing about the vehicle I've found is the turning radius. It's pretty horrible and my old SUV could out turn it.

Favorite Features

It's a wagon! Cargo space, cabin is quiet enough, Bose sound is very impressive, night time lighting is very good, actually has a good exhaust note when you gas it. There is enough room for 3 car seats in the back which is perfect for my family.

Suggested Improvements

The leather has already started to crack on the front seats, the turning radius is pretty bad on it, the gas mileage could be better but overall I'm not disappointed at all in the vehicle...

Good Stuff
By rdn

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This thing is a rocket ship. The engine hums at speed. It has a great growl. The bad thing is the split personality. Gently drive this car and you feel like an old person cruizing around. Open the taps on this car and HOLD ON! It just goes. I had a Honda Civic before and this car runs a bit rougher...but this is another species altogether. The only major issue so far has been the drivers door handle which has broken...thanks to some ice and a weak spot....one morning gave it a pull and CRACK! The motor sounds awful when started and then wakes up. Need to get plugs changed... but that is normal. Would buy another.

Favorite Features

Speed, comfort, utility, appearance.

Reliable and Worth the Cost
By John K

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been an excellent and fun car to own.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling. Handling. Seats.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Turning circle. Headlights.