Used 2004 Mazda Mazda6 s Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:

diy Mazda 6s 5spd owner
By maz6s

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since 07, my 04 6s(v6) has been strong. I bought it at ~60,000 miles. All maintenance done early except the spark plugs. Don't drive too long with a misfire/vacuum leak/hesitation. Lucky I had knowledge of precat failure prevention so I didn't find out the hard way like others...keep an eye on fluid level and color esp oil. Since about 90-100,000 miles I noticed the oil level drops a lil every 1500 miles which is normal on most vehicles. Don't trust oil change places, they only pour 5qts in, but this engine takes 6...oh and Honda seekers don't buy Automatic Accords, my wife's tranny died@100,000 miles...fluid drained and filled every 10,000 miles since 40,000 miles. 2004 Accord EX V6. Thx

Favorite Features

5speed manual is a must, sporty suspension, bose system, auto climate control, the whole body design, trunk space, 24v v6, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats, headliner, vc gaskets could be better.

beautiful car piss poor reliability
By blaznazn22

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car 2 months ago for $3000 at an auction with 196000km on it, or about 129k miles. There oil kept disappearing quickly and I didn't know where it was going. After about $2000 in repairs and getting some tires and rims, I find out that the cars' engine is through. It was burning oil rapidly, the reason for that was the piston rings being worn out, and the reason for piston rings being worn out was the catalytic converter melting and blocking the exhaust creating excessive back pressure. Not to mention the EGR valve recirulating exhaust gases as well as other particles into the engine which also screwed the engine over. Very piss poor design by mazda.

Favorite Features

the body design is beautiful, it looks better than 90% of the cars out there even though its 10 years old

Suggested Improvements

poor engineering design, ford/mazda engineers should be fired over this.

Expensive
By kingshahid

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car was bought in 2007 at 180,000km. The car gave nothing but expensive bills for maintenance. One by one everything kept breaking down each month. No bill was smaller than $200. Its very consumptive of gas. It always had problems. The good side is has a very nicely designed car interior and exterior. When its working properly it can be comfortable and fun. Unfortunately Mazda failed at providing reliability - I always feared with this car if I would make it from point a to point b or not.

Favorite Features

Interior design, boss system, power everything, tiptronic.

Suggested Improvements

Gas consumption, Reliability

Very Good Choice
By fordmazda29

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a week now and I can say that I really enjoy having this car. I purchased it used for $9k with 82,000 miles on it and this thing is loaded. I love the seats, they are supportive and comfortable. I love the stereo, the bass is good, but not overpowering. The speaker quality (bose) more than makes up for the lack of speakers. The engine makes a good noise, and is pretty quick. It doesn't take much to get this car up to speed. Unfortunately, the transmission is a bit dim-witted and definitely hampers the cars 0-60 time. I reckon that this car will do 0-60 more than a second faster if you went with the manual. Good build quality, good ride, and well equipped.

Favorite Features

The ride is good The steering is neither too light or too heavy (and offers decent feedback) The handling is good The sound system (if you go for the Bose system) is excellent. The seats are supportive and comfortable. The engine. The build quality.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic gearbox is dimwitted and hampers the cars performance. The turning radius is terrible. I have driven midsize SUVs with smaller turning radius than this. No Aux input jack (though I did have one installed). The sun roof should have a one touch open and close feature. Ground clearance is a little lower than I am used to. Although it has climate control, it is not dual zone. Automatic climate control requires A/C to be on (even when heating).

Good Car
By mazdamigirl

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Mazda 6 I (automatic not manual) from a dealership with 40 K on it in 2009. Today I have put another 40 K on it and it runs well. Wheels do wear more on the front half, came fully loaded and has traction control and ABS. This is not handy when driving up steep, snow covered/mush hills in the winter. Other than that, found a crack in the windshield but has not leaked into car. Display for CD player is loosing pixels or dots so volume does not display fully sometimes. Other than that, good car, bad with gas due to V6 engine. Newer models have better mileage.

Favorite Features

CD player, sport model, low to the ground

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage for automatic models.