Used 2004 Mazda 6 Consumer Reviews - 452 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda 6 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda 6

View reviews for a specific 6 model:

Heavily used when bought, and still running strong
By Cameron B

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car almost 7 years ago now with just under 100,000 miles on the car for $5,800. My 6 came with all of the bells and whistles possible (Bose, leather, sunroof, etc.) and has really never had many problems at all. I have had to replace a few parts here and there, however for owning a car for so long and now with about 170,000 miles there is not a car on the road that I trust more.

The best part about the car is how it looks and performs. It is not a supercar, muscle car, or really even a sports car, however for a 4-door sedan it is very sporty. The 5-speed transmission is great (never had a problem and I am still on the original clutch), especially when you want to wind it up on a curvy backroad. There is plenty of power from the engine. The gas mileage in the car could be better, but for the fun that you can have in this car, the mileage really is not bad. Cosmetically, my 6 has held up great. I have the Blazing Copper Metallic color, which is orange and difficult to keep clean at times, but the car looks great. For the era the car was made in the mid-2000s, you will not find a better looking car. The Accords, Camrys, and anything else you look at of the same years have not held up in how they look over the years.

Lastly, whenever I have gotten bored with the car or wanted to make a change I could. I replaced the stock Bose headunit with Bluetooth/Navigation system, I put a roof rack on it, and a couple of other minor things to help me continue enjoying my car.

All-and-all this car has been great, and I would recomend it to anyone. The price is affordable and you get great bang-for-your-buck that every used car owner wants.

Do not buy this car!
By Mike

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Worst car I ever owned. Pre-catalyst problems. I had to replace it twice - very expensive. Engine problems - throttle body replaced. Expensive as well. Broken power steering - expensive as hell. Broken CD-player. Poor A/C. Broken seat heating. Almost everything in this car breaks all the time.

awesome mazda
By cuda67

2004 Mazda 6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I"ve had this car since 2008 it had 178,000 miles on it now it has 250,000 mileson it. The still drives like it was new. The hatch back is so awesome and gives the car a sporty profile. I still get 29mpg with a 4speed AT. The car has more then pad for it's self in value.

the plus-size Mazda 3
By treeweezel

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like how the wagon looks like a grown-up Mazda3 both in size and style.
Classed-up, but still with some spunk.
We have a BMW 530 wagon near identical in size, power and age, and there is absolutely no deprivation in taking the Mazda.
More trunk and backseat, even.

The 3.0 V6 brings the heat at high revs, but feels like much less engine at lower revs.
Gutless under 2000 rpm and an absolute dog below 1500 rpm, you'll need to shift often.
First gear is tall and if you let the clutch in too fast it'll really leave you out to dry.
The engine also goes through oil and spark plugs kinda quickly, and the lack of replaceable fuel filter worries me.

Room, comfort, handling, shifting, power, appearance

Engine is not suited to the car unless you are a very aggressive driver, it's annoyingly torque-less in the day-to-day. MPG is an SUV-like low 20's. Cargo cover is noisy. Rear seatback folds down easily, but the seat bottoms don't fold up (hinge up toward the driver seatback). I like to put seat bottoms up for a taller load area than the cargo area, but you can't do that here. Stereo plays radio and cd only, no input and no cassette deck to use with adapter. No MP3s on CD either. Bose audio is quite muddy in midrange through bass.

diy Mazda 6s 5spd owner
By maz6s

2004 Mazda 6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since 07, my 04 6s(v6) has been strong. I bought it at ~60,000 miles. All maintenance done early except the spark plugs. Don't drive too long with a misfire/vacuum leak/hesitation. Lucky I had knowledge of precat failure prevention so I didn't find out the hard way like others...keep an eye on fluid level and color esp oil. Since about 90-100,000 miles I noticed the oil level drops a lil every 1500 miles which is normal on most vehicles. Don't trust oil change places, they only pour 5qts in, but this engine takes 6...oh and Honda seekers don't buy Automatic Accords, my wife's tranny died@100,000 miles...fluid drained and filled every 10,000 miles since 40,000 miles. 2004 Accord EX V6. Thx

5speed manual is a must, sporty suspension, bose system, auto climate control, the whole body design, trunk space, 24v v6, reliability.

Cloth seats, headliner, vc gaskets could be better.