2004 Mazda Mazda6 Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Mazda6 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Mazda6 model:
awesome mazda
By cuda67 on 09/22/14 09:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Hatchback (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I"ve had this car since 2008 it had 178,000 miles on it now it has 250,000 mileson it. The still drives like it was new. The hatch back is so awesome and gives the car a sporty profile. I still get 29mpg with a 4speed AT. The car has more then pad for it's self in value.

the plus-size Mazda 3
By treeweezel on 05/12/14 06:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I like how the wagon looks like a grown-up Mazda3 both in size and style. Classed-up, but still with some spunk. We have a BMW 530 wagon near identical in size, power and age, and there is absolutely no deprivation in taking the Mazda. More trunk and backseat, even. The 3.0 V6 brings the heat at high revs, but feels like much less engine at lower revs. Gutless under 2000 rpm and an absolute dog below 1500 rpm, you'll need to shift often. First gear is tall and if you let the clutch in too fast it'll really leave you out to dry. The engine also goes through oil and spark plugs kinda quickly, and the lack of replaceable fuel filter worries me.

diy Mazda 6s 5spd owner
By maz6s on 12/05/13 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since 07, my 04 6s(v6) has been strong. I bought it at ~60,000 miles. All maintenance done early except the spark plugs. Don't drive too long with a misfire/vacuum leak/hesitation. Lucky I had knowledge of precat failure prevention so I didn't find out the hard way like others...keep an eye on fluid level and color esp oil. Since about 90-100,000 miles I noticed the oil level drops a lil every 1500 miles which is normal on most vehicles. Don't trust oil change places, they only pour 5qts in, but this engine takes 6...oh and Honda seekers don't buy Automatic Accords, my wife's tranny died@100,000 miles...fluid drained and filled every 10,000 miles since 40,000 miles. 2004 Accord EX V6. Thx

beautiful car piss poor reliability
By blaznazn22 on 09/14/13 10:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car 2 months ago for $3000 at an auction with 196000km on it, or about 129k miles. There oil kept disappearing quickly and I didn't know where it was going. After about $2000 in repairs and getting some tires and rims, I find out that the cars' engine is through. It was burning oil rapidly, the reason for that was the piston rings being worn out, and the reason for piston rings being worn out was the catalytic converter melting and blocking the exhaust creating excessive back pressure. Not to mention the EGR valve recirulating exhaust gases as well as other particles into the engine which also screwed the engine over. Very piss poor design by mazda.

I've loved it for the last 4 years.
By sranco on 02/08/13 05:46 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 i 4dr Sports Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in the summer of 09 with 129k on it. It now has 157k on it and I still love it. It has great handling and decent power for a 4 cylinder. These cars have a very good suspension IMO. It can handle tight turns at good speeds without offering too stiff of a ride. Mine has 17 inch tires, which probably makes a bit of a difference over the stock 16's. The interior is also well appointed and really comes alive at night with the interior lighting. If you like to play golf this car will also suit you well, there is easily enough room for 3 golf bags. The back seat can be a little tight though.

Expensive
By kingshahid on 02/29/12 16:36 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car was bought in 2007 at 180,000km. The car gave nothing but expensive bills for maintenance. One by one everything kept breaking down each month. No bill was smaller than $200. Its very consumptive of gas. It always had problems. The good side is has a very nicely designed car interior and exterior. When its working properly it can be comfortable and fun. Unfortunately Mazda failed at providing reliability - I always feared with this car if I would make it from point a to point b or not.

Very Good Choice
By fordmazda29 on 11/15/11 08:28 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a week now and I can say that I really enjoy having this car. I purchased it used for $9k with 82,000 miles on it and this thing is loaded. I love the seats, they are supportive and comfortable. I love the stereo, the bass is good, but not overpowering. The speaker quality (bose) more than makes up for the lack of speakers. The engine makes a good noise, and is pretty quick. It doesn't take much to get this car up to speed. Unfortunately, the transmission is a bit dim-witted and definitely hampers the cars 0-60 time. I reckon that this car will do 0-60 more than a second faster if you went with the manual. Good build quality, good ride, and well equipped.

Good Car
By mazdamigirl on 09/13/11 12:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sports Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Mazda 6 I (automatic not manual) from a dealership with 40 K on it in 2009. Today I have put another 40 K on it and it runs well. Wheels do wear more on the front half, came fully loaded and has traction control and ABS. This is not handy when driving up steep, snow covered/mush hills in the winter. Other than that, found a crack in the windshield but has not leaked into car. Display for CD player is loosing pixels or dots so volume does not display fully sometimes. Other than that, good car, bad with gas due to V6 engine. Newer models have better mileage.

Love it!
By michiganman25 on 01/29/11 21:19 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my wagon in March 2010 with 100k on the odometer, now has 118k on it and going strong. The not so great: Just replaced shocks and struts, which was not cheap but now she drives like a new car. I've also replaced a belt tensioner and a power steering line in the year i've had it. The back hatch has always been tricky to open, and i havent been thrilled with the paint quality, but it still looks beautiful when its cleaned up. The good: Runs like a champ, tons of cargo space, nice interior, handles great, awesome bose sound system, and lots of other great options. I get compliments on it all the time, it is one sexy wagon!

So Far It's Good
By meathead1986 on 10/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda Mazda6 s 4dr Sport Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for a few months and so far I couldn't be much happier with my purchase. I was told when i bought it that the catalytic converters had already been replaced in it which disappointed me but we made the purchase anyways. The ride on the new Hancock tires was amazing. For a front wheel drive car this thing handles amazing. The hatch offers a lot of potential for mass cargo so I intend to use it next year for a cross country trip. Gas mileage could be a little better but when switching from an SUV I can't really complain all that much. The only bad thing about the vehicle I've found is the turning radius. It's pretty horrible and my old SUV could out turn it.